The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
mannyCA

Percussion shotgun questions...

Those of you who use one in the field. How do you carry your shot, powder, etc. especially when walking while gong after birds, rabbits? Do you guys have a shot pouch, and if so doesn’t it tend to bounce around as you move/chase game? Didn’t want to reinvent the wheel so I thought I’d pose the question. What works best for you in the field scenario. I’ll be going after quail, dove and small game hours in the field away from the vehicle/home on foot.
Old September 25, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
wap41

I premeasure powder and put in plastic tubes I bought on ebay,I use plastic shotcups{and see no build up in the barrel]I have a shot flask I got from track of the wolf and carry my over shot cards in a pouch.Works for me.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
GeorgeStrickland

carry

I carry my pouch, shot and horn up high and tight with the straps adjusted so they are between the hip and armpit.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
North East Redneck

I carry premeasured powder in plastic bags. Just bite a corner off and pour the powder down. Shot, I keep in premeasured paper tubes. Again, bite the end off and pour the shot in. Over powder wads and over shot cards are carried in the little pocket in my jeans. Primers are in that pocket also. Shot and powder are carried in front pants pockets.
Old October 2, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
dlbarr

Manny, I carry shot in a hard leather "ball bag" that has a measuring spout attached to it. You can get the spout at Track of the Wolf - there are English & Irish styles, I believe. I have the English.

This container has a strap attached to the bottom of it so that I can sling it over my shoulder and reload easily. Yes it bounces around some, it could easily be carried in my side pouch, also slung over my shoulder, along with the powder flask & wads.

I don't suppose there's any rule on how it should be done, most of us find our own way and do whatever works for us. Me....that changes from time to time.