The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2009, 04:02 PM   #26
velocette

I've had my DPMS LR 308B for three years now. In that time, and about 2000 rounds down range, with decent ammo it has never jammed or failed in any way. Accuracy runs with good ammo (My reloads mainly) at between 5/8' ~ 7/8" @ 100 yds, consistently. Federal cheap 150 gr WalMart ammo runs 1 ~ 1 1/4".
This is with a bipod and a mark 1 mod 1 shoulder. No sandbags. Other commercial ammo runs up to 3" groups.
The rifle has been everything I wanted in an Eeeeevil black rifle. Accurate beyond my expectations, totally reliable and just thinking of it makes GFWs wet their pants.

Roger
Old December 19, 2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Brenten

LOL, jimro, the AR platform is battle tested. you can't see the trees for the forest can you. M16, M4 etc. The platform has not changed, it has just been adapted. By the way, the popular notion that the M16 was adapted for 308 is incorrect. The AR platform started out as a 308 and was reduced to 223 in it's final design. Yes, the AR is proven the FNAR is not. The AR platform is much more versatile as well. you can change calibers with uppers, so long as the magazines can hold them. It is really a great design. Not the best, but definitely a classic.
Old December 19, 2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Jimro

Brenten,

This is where you tell me that you are some special secret squirrel who has run AR-10's all over the world on dark ops or something and aren't just talking out your fourth point of contact.

First off, the AR-10 was beat out in trials by the M14. Whether that was a fair trial or not is a different story. Secondly, even though five decades of service has mostly ironed the kinks out of the M16 lineup, the AR-10 hasn't had that. The SR-25 (ala M110 or Mk11mod0) is having a bunch of problems in that you know, actual combat testing arena.

It makes a decent sniper rifle, when it's working. I like the M110 a lot because it fills a niche in our inventory left by the M21.

The BAR, fully automatic 30-06, was never replaced by the Garand. The BAR was used up through Korea and was replaced by a change in doctrine that made squad automatic weapons obsolete since everyone had full auto capabilities. The commercial BAR has jack and squat to do with the old .mil version. The commercial BAR has been a great hunting rifle for a long time, even competing with another hunting rifle, the Remington M700 in sniper rifle trials for the US Army.

And lastly, if you think that you need a "battle tested" thirty caliber 308 you could go ahead and recommend the M1A or FAL. Both are in the same price range, both are battle tested and still currently in service.

Seriously, school me oh mighty fount of all knowledge. Who knows, it may save my life one day when the zombies rise from the grave and I have to break into a gun store to arm myself and fight my way to my secret bug out location I'll be stand there and run through my head what rifle Brenten told me was "battle tested"....

Jimro
Old December 19, 2009, 08:50 PM   #29
Brenten

Jimro, I was pointing out how incorrect you were plain and simple. you can say what you will. The reason why the AR-10 was beat out was because of the inferior materials used in it's construction. Again, back to the point that you seem to be avoiding. The FNAR is not tested or proven anywhere. it is a hunting design, no more no less. Until it goes to war and proves itself, call it what it is, a high capacity hunting rifle like the BAR before it and the remingtons before it. It is by no means a battle rifle...PERIOD!!!
Old December 19, 2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Brenten

I will, however agree with you that the FAL, M1A and the HK91 are more proven platforms than the AR.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:41 AM   #31
Jimro

Brenten,

Thank god you've given up the "AR10 is battle proven" line.

Just remember that is was those hunting rifles, Win M70 and Rem 700, that became sniper rites. Like I've written before, head down to Ft. Benning and take a look at the BAR in the Infantry Museum that went through the original sniper trials in the mid 1980's.

Hell, wasn't it not too long ago that Mr. Barret made his semi-auto 50 caliber M82 for the civilian market?

Give it a rest on the "proven in the field but not on the battlefield" line. I carried my rifle MUCH more than I ever shot it in Iraq.

Jimro
Old December 20, 2009, 02:33 AM   #32
UpstateGlocker

DSA FAL SA58

2nd choice: M1A

Given these two choices, my question about the FNAR is, why?
Old December 20, 2009, 03:49 PM   #33
Brenten

and what rifle did you carry ?

but you are right the AR-10 has never been to war

Old December 20, 2009, 07:17 PM   #34
olyinaz

AR-10, the original AR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZyaM66OGM

Oly
Old December 20, 2009, 10:56 PM   #35
Jimro

Brenten,

M4 and M249.

What rifle did you carry?

Jimro
Old December 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #36
Jimro

Brenten,

You are so right, I had no idea that the Portugese used the AR-10 for a whole 16 years! I mean wow, that's a hell of a record for length of service! I mean that's gotta be like number one or something. But wait, it seems the Sudanese used it from 58 to 82! That's gotta beat out EVERY OTHER battle rifle on the planet!

Then again, we are talking Africa here, where 300 mercs overthrew a country....

I am so lucky that you'll be in the back of my mind when I need to choose a weapon to defend my life from the hordes of blue helmeted NWO drones. I'll be able to choose the one that is "battle tested" and simply by picking up such a rifle I'll automatically be transformed into an Airborne Ranger ready to kick ass like Chuck Norris.

Seriously, a weapon is just a weapon. There are good battle tested weapons, and there are good untested weapons. There are crappy issue weapons, and wonderful civilian weapons. The weapon doesn't make the warrior.

Jimro
Old December 20, 2009, 11:25 PM   #37
Brenten

Agreed on your last point. I never claimed the AR to be the best, in fact there are other rifles that I would pick first. However, the OP only asked about these two. I have had issues with my 223 ar's, but none with my AR10. Plain and simple, the AR platform has so much aftermarket going for it that it is worth getting one. The same cannot be said for the FN.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:32 PM   #38
Eppie

Brain or Heart

I just bought a DPMS 308 Sportical yesterday. I had looked at the FN, found it expensive, heavy and ugly. With the current exchange rate between dollars and euro the idea of buying european seems silly.

Buying american make sense now on multiple levels. If money is no object then get whatever your heart desires. But if money matters the difference in price/performance ratio should be self-evident.

Joe
Old January 14, 2010, 11:10 PM   #39
qwman68

In my opinion the FN has proven itself time and time again. Not being a fan of AR's, i like the idea of having something diffrent. If you like the AR then get yourself an AR. If i was going to buy one or the other i would get the FN.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:30 AM   #40
hobunchastuf

Love my FNAR!!! Had it about six months now and it just gets better with age. Once adding the scope and bipod, the ugly gets tamed a bit but I like it and it shoots where it's pointed. For me, it's not a beauty contest anyways. The big 20 rounders were swapped for 10s and all functioned flawlessly while getting 1" or better performance on paper. The critters in the cornfield are nervous!!

Old May 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #41
GunBugBit

One thing I don't get is how so many guys indict a .308 rifle because it's not a "proven battle rifle". How many of us will be going into battle? And even if there is some SHTF scenario where we are getting in regular battles with our rifles , don't we have our AK-47s and AR-15s for that?

The FNAR .308, by all reports, is an incredibly durable, accurate rifle, and would probably perform magnificently in real battle conditions.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:05 PM   #42
4V50 Gary
Staff

The FN design is one of the most ergonomic there is for rifles. It feels good.

The AR isn't bad either. Of the two, I'd go with the AR. Besides being more accurate thanks to fewer moving parts, it's a Lego kit. You can do a lot of the work yourself.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:38 PM   #43
UnbearablePanda

Are you going to be prone shooting more? or off hand shooting? Cause that would change everything o_o
Old May 4, 2012, 12:09 AM   #44
arizona98tj

Wow....someone dug this thread up out of the archives.

That being said, I'll agree with that 4V50 Gary said as it does feel good to shoot. Recoil is a non-issue, IMO. The thing I like the least about it is the placement of the safety. For me, it is awkward to manipulate without moving my strong hand. Were it a non-pistol grip stock, it's location would be perfect.

Here is mine.....