The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 27, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
JoshC243

powder less .22lr rounds?

got a question for you guys. i know there is someone here that can tell me or at least guide me in finding what i want to know.

i have fond powder less .22lr rounds. not it says on the box not to shot the a rifle but every one knows your going to do it. i got a old bolt action .22 single shot and well as a semi- auto. what i want to know is, if i shot them in my back yard "in side city limits" would it be the same as shooting a powdered round.

i live in side city limits in Charleston ,sc

we have a cop that rides around but when he is out and about im at work or i cant get out of the house quickly to catch him
Old April 27, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
JoshC243

keep in mind i know you can get is real deep trouble if shot a fire arm in side the city

Last edited by JoshC243; April 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
crankyoldlady

These are known as CB rounds. They are best suited for a revolver only.

You can use them in a semi-auto but will need to cycle the slide to extract the spent casing and hand chamber each round one at a time. This gets old real fast.

Use them in a rifle if you enjoy removing bullets stuck in your barrel.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The answer to your question, if I'm understanding you correctly, is no, they're not legally different from "real" ammo.

They still use an explosive to propel a projectile. The gun is still a "firearm" and they are still firearm ammunition. You would still be discharging a firearm within city limits.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
buggley

use a short barrel like a cricket. there is a chance they will get stuck.
not sure what you would need them for but dont try a head shot. we keep a large live anilmal trap for possums and coons that get into the dog food on the porch. i dont mind letting things go away from the house but some times it is better to leave the cage shut. never had a problem with the locals but we do it late at night. also a good deterint is the CCI rat shot for a .22. i have shot it through my 10/22 (auto loader) in my work shop to eliminate a swarm of flying pests without killing a thing. it will do it close range like ten feet but only if it is bird sized. cats at 15 yards hate it but it wont leave lasting damage. i hit my floreceint lights in the shop at less then 10 feet away and they bounced off with out breaking the light. and at 10 feet you are lucky to put a pin hole in a gatorade jug. that is CCI dont try it with any thing else
Old April 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
TimW77

Aguila Colibri and Aguila Super Colibri...

Might also be RWS "BB" (NOT CB).

T.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
RyeDaddy

Legally they are the same as a regular bullet. If you're asking about the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri I'll be honest and say I've shot them both in my suburban backyard out of several rifles. I've used them in my son's Crickett, my Marlin 60(have to single feed them, they will not cycle through the magazine, even manually), and a pump Remington 572(they worked perfectly in this rifle), and the only sounds were the click of the firing pin and the sound of the projectile hitting the backstop. Out of a pistol they were much louder, as in there was actually a report from the muzzle, but still much quieter than a regular 22LR.

I've fired a couple hundred and not had one stick in a barrel. *knock on wood*

This info is given freely, do what you will with it.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
THE RAVEN

Why not let common sense prevail ??

A: On the contrary,not everyone shoots ammo in a gun when it says "Don't do it".....So play it safe.

B: It is illegal to shoot in city limits,so don't do it.....Powderless or not,they are still considered live ammo.

S&W MP-15/22,S&W MP-15 .223,Remington SPS .308,Remington 870 A-TAC 12 ga,Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter .17 Hornet
Old April 28, 2012, 07:34 AM   #9
BigMikey76

Didn't this thread already get shut down? I could have sworn I saw it yesterday and it was already locked...
Old April 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #10
semi_problomatic

Moderator reopened it once he found out that the guy was asking a question...not trying to do something illegal.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:47 AM   #11
BigMikey76

^^ Fair enough, I was just curious.

I would say to be careful and check your local laws. I got in a little bit of trouble when I was a teenager for shooting a BB gun in the back yard. I accidentally broke a car window, and I got charged with "discharging a firearm within city limits." It got plead down to disturbing the peace, but it was a serious wake up call. The cop who came to the scene told me that according to city statutes, the same charge can even be applied for using a sling shot.
Point of the story - make sure you know the laws, because "I didn't know" will never get you out of trouble.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
golfnutrlv

I think the legal aspect of the issue has been discussed.

Regarding the safety aspect, a friend of mine fired one out of his CZ .22 rifle. The round didn't even make it halfway down the barrel. Lucky for him, neither of us saw an impact, so we checked the barrel. Sure enough, stuck in the tube.

I would not trust these in a rifle at all, and will avoid them in general.

They were quiet though...no sub for a can of course...
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 28, 2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Mike38

I’ve shot hundreds of CB Caps in an old Remington single shot bolt action I have. I believe the barrel is somewhere around 24 inches long. Haven’t stuck a bullet yet. Pressing my luck maybe?
Old April 28, 2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Hansam

I've had good results shooting Aguila Super Colibri out of my AR with a .22lr upper and out of my 10/22 rifles. No stuck bullets yet out either my AR with a 16" barrel or my 10/22 rifles with their 18" barrels. However the Aguila Colibri consistently got stuck in my barrels so I no longer shoot them through my rifles. They only get used in my .22lr revolver and even then I don't use them often because the POI is different than that of a full power .22lr.

As for legalities in the city well discharging a firearm is illegal regardless of the type of ammunition. It has nothing to do with the ammunition it has to do with the fact that you discharged a firearm. If you shoot in your back yard and you're caught you're going to be fined. Plain and simple - don't do it.
Old April 28, 2012, 06:23 PM   #15
kimbershot

cci quiet #960---40gr. 22 lr @ 710fps--check it out.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Mobuck

I tried the Aguila Super Colibri for trapline ammo last year. These were my observations:
1:Five shots from a well used 10/22 resulted in all 5 bullets exiting the barrel.
2:Noise from that rifle was comparable to a high powered pellet rifle.
3:Accuracy from a well used Ruger 22/45 w/5.5" barrel was not great @ 10'.
4:Noise from the 5.5" pistol was comfortable w/o ear plugs.
5:On game performance was barely adequate. Several animals required
multiple shots or suffocation to succumb. Some bullets failed to penetrate
the skull of large boar raccoons.
6:Operation with the semiauto was limited to manual but feeding from the
magazine was problematic with more than 3 rounds loaded.
7:Next year Remington CBee ammo will be used after testing indicated better
accuracy, killing potential, and magazine feeding.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:01 AM   #17
WV_gunner

If it's illegal, it's illegal. Or if it's in the police officer's discretion, don't even do anything even close to it. I'm not a lawyer, but that is my advice. You can use it like I do, or not.
My fiend has a possum issue at his house. Well, the neighbor heard a few gun shots in the middle of the night and called his house threatening to call the police. So, now he uses CCI CB .22 shorts in a .22LR revolver. Now, keep in mind though my friend lives many miles from town and his neighbor is about 150 yards away.
Old April 30, 2012, 06:09 AM   #18
B.L.E.

I find they are actually pretty loud out of a revolver with the cylinder gap leakage.
Out of a rifle, I find accuracy too poor for serious indoor target practice. A decent air rifle is cheaper to shoot and more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbershot
cci quiet #960---40gr. 22 lr @ 710fps--check it out
How do they shoot? Decent groups? I have shot CB longs and the accuacy out of a rifle is disappointing.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Hansam

Accuracy from powderless rounds have been inconsistent at best in my limited experience.

Personally I'd rather shoot a quality .22 short out of a rifle for lower noise and still retain accuracy. While the POI will change because of the lower velocity of the bullet at least from what I've experienced its more consistent in accuracy than the powderless rounds. Sound wise its actually just a bit louder than a primer only .22 cartridge - sure there's some report but not enough out of a rifle but its so much less than a .22lr that I'd consider it a "quiet" round. Out of a handgun though its still pretty danged loud.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:51 PM   #20
B.L.E.

If you can find them, standard velocity shorts are very quiet because the bullets lack the sonic boom shock wave of high velocity shorts. Normal high velocity shorts have nearly the same muzzle velocity as long rifle rounds. They just do it with a 29 grain bullet instead of a 40 grain bullet.
Old May 3, 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
JoshC243

well i have talk to the local cops about it, and they say it's ok as long as no one is calling and going there a guy shooting across yards and all that nice stuff. i was told to build a trap and check with my neighbor's and see if they are ok wit it.

the cop said the way he is taking it. is its nothing more then a 22 air rifle round.

i took that with a grain of salt. i moving do to work in about 3 months and i well be out side of the city limits so it want matter in 3 months.

but its good to know what other people think.

i have a single shot that's was my grandfathers when he was a kid i shot both the cci cb rounds out of, as well as the Aguila Super Colibri. seem to shoot fine at around 20-25ft.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:14 PM   #22
beex215

ive shot them out of an ar. not a single stuck bullet out of a 500 box.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old May 3, 2012, 09:28 PM   #23
Chettt

They are fun and quiet but mind the ricochet. They will bounce off of wood and other solid objects instead of penetrating the back stop. Shooting glasses mandatory because of this.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Hansam

Quote:
They are fun and quiet but mind the ricochet. They will bounce off of wood and other solid objects instead of penetrating the back stop. Shooting glasses mandatory because of this.
to that I answer:

Quote:
You'll shoot your eye out kid!
Old May 4, 2012, 05:41 AM   #25
B.L.E.

Quote:
I shoot my air pistol targets taped to a piece of thick solid steel. The pellets don't richochet, they collapse and stay stuck to the steel and make nice round easy to score holes in the paper target instead of hard to score tears and rips. Even doubles are obvious. I once did a Robin Hood shot where two pellets were stacked on top of each other perfectly. If I had used a cardboard or wood backstop, that double would have looked like a miss.