The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1
KILLJOY1

Even worse than making your own?

In no way am I submitting this as a substitute to legally obtain an NFA gun.

That being said, at the current cost of Class 3 guns, $2,500 to $65,000, and tax and time, would someone buy a black market gun?

Believe it or not, here in San Antonio, TX there arn't too many places that sell or allow you to shoot F\A guns, at least that I know of. Not even renatls . But I do have access to a could hundred acers of land. With my limited funds i can only look at Class 3 guns like a kid with no money in front of a candy store.

I have an aquaintance that has connections, if you know what i mean, and can get these guns very cheap. Of course they are not registered, but who would not grin at the thought of an $1,500 HK mp5 !

Yes the 10/$250,000 penalty is a really good deterent, 2 kids and a wife would be mad also.

But if you could, would you even consider. I understand the penalty for doing something this illegal, but, but, but...

Damn the morals my parents gave me!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 8, 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
azredhawk44

If a butt-pounder mk5 can be had for $1500 or you can be legal for $2500 (according to your first sentence), why would you choose the butt-pounder?

Save your money and be legal, or buy lots of KY.

Your choice.
Old February 8, 2006, 01:17 PM   #3
shaggy

I'd still stay legal. There's something nice about not having to constantly watch your back and worry about getting caught. I've been pulled over in a car with literally over a dozen machineguns and thousands of rounds of ammo, but the cop couldn't do anything but issue me a ticket for the moving violation had let me go, because everything was legal and papered. You may not ever get caught, but I'm sure a lot of the guys sitting in federal prison didn't think they'd get caught either. A felony is a serious crime - you lose the right to vote, the right to ever legally posess a firearm, and it can also translate into a severe loss of job opportunities. Even the impact of defending yourself in court (whether you win or lose) can be financially devastating. Its expensive but the peace of mind is worth it IMHO, and FWIW full auto is really just a toy. Its not really an effective way to use a weapon should the SHTF. You'd be much better off with a semi, in fact my personal SHTF go-to gun is a semi although I have plenty of full autos available.
Old February 8, 2006, 01:50 PM   #4
KILLJOY1

Shaggy, Azredhawk44

I have thought the consiquences through, and came to the same conclusion. But I would have LOVED to see the cops face with all thoes weapons .
This was more of a survey more than a cry for help.
but 2500 for a mac10 or 1500 for mp5, like i said just a survey.

Your right though Shaggy, this is just a toy. But i equate this to the 5000.00 Ferrari, is it legal?
this toy is my Ferrari, but to good to be true.
I was really suprised of your anwser Shaggy. I expected a lot of legal quotes and penial codes.( I got to use the word Penial!!! )
Thanx for your input though, Espically the KY referance, lovely!
Old February 8, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
barnetmill

I certainly agree with "shaggy".

Except at point blank range most hand held fullautos do not give a skilled shooter much advantage.
I have been told of case where a man with a mauser machine pistol took down 3 bunched together armed men at point blank range without them getting off a shot years ago in another country. 10-20 rounds in less than 2 seconds up very very close can be effective.

A SHTF coming to american is not likely except for the occasional riot or hurricane and a cheap pump shotgun will do for that. And it will not hurt so much when the cops take it away.

So why take a chance with an illegal full auto.

Last edited by barnetmill; February 8, 2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: needed a word
Old February 8, 2006, 05:31 PM   #6
owen

Is publicly contemplating a felony a good idea?
Old February 8, 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
OneInTheChamber

My dad once knew a man who bought a stolen gun. The man didn't think much of it, he figured because he hadn't stolen it, it wasn't a big deal. Boy was he ever wrong. He had a couple years in a federal prison to figure out that it doesn't pay to buy illegal guns.
Old February 9, 2006, 12:53 AM   #8
boofus

Absolutely not. I like my the size of my cornhole the way it is. I'd like to vote for president in the future too and be able to get a decent job.
Old February 9, 2006, 04:22 PM   #9
urbanassault

For anybody looking for a way to buy or creat and illegal firearm these would be the steps to doing so.

1)get plans to build/buy

2)build/buy

3)buy ammo, fill mag

4)Put buttplate/rear of gun between butt cheeks and fire off mag and get used to the feeling. Repeat till you can comfortably shoot 2 full mags into paper at 15 yds and you are ready

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 9, 2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Fremmer

The press would love to catch wind of this Thread. I'm sure that Rich would have several requests for interviews/comments.
Old February 9, 2006, 11:56 PM   #11
SCCop

urbanassault, that is one of the funniest things i've heard in a long time. I nearly hit the floor.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old February 10, 2006, 11:11 AM   #12
urbanassault

Finally somebody appreciates my humor......thank you, maybe you will enjoy this too...

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 10, 2006, 09:45 PM   #13
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Another dead end thread

Folks, if you want to agonize over your "To be or not to be a felon . . ." teenage angst, please get hold of your clergyperson, lawyer, or other spiritual or legal counselor. DO NOT attempt to co-opt members of this board.

Barring some really malicious activity, MOST everyone gets one warning before being banned. This is a group warning.

CLOSED

Johnny
Closed Thread