The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2001, 01:04 AM   #1
DeBee

870 Action Ring on Action Tube Frozen

I recently picked up a Slide Action Tube in like new condition- as a bonus, the action ring that holds the fore end on came attached...

Little did I know, and I didn't think to check, but the ring is really on there tight! The ring won't budge either way. It's about half way down the threaded portion. There appears to be no rust or epoxy or solder.

I have the action wrench, but I cannot get a good grip on the tube without crushing it. I installed it on the gun but I thought for sure I would bugger the gun AND the tube before it broke free... It's been sitting in fresh Liquid Wrench for a week with no results...

Any suggestions appreciated...
Old December 13, 2001, 10:41 AM   #2
Coronach

OK, I'm obviously not up on my nomenclature. Which part is stuck? Describe it for me. Is this going to be the ring that holds the fore end on the tube?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 13, 2001, 10:43 AM   #3
Coronach

Also, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 13, 2001, 12:47 PM   #4
DeBee

Yes, that's the ring. It is called the Fore-end Tube Nut now that I have located one of my parts lists...

The Fore-end Tube Nut screws on to the Fore-end Tube Assembly with fine threads that occasionally are filled with gunk but his one has been cleaned and appears not to have any rust development.

It won't move either way, tighter (really, further down on the threads) or more desirably, looser (off)...

A flash of evil washed over me and I thought about the Dremel tool and it's ever calling Cut Off Wheel to cut the nut down one side and crack it then twist it off... thus far I have resisted temptation...

I am at a loss for leverage...
Old December 13, 2001, 01:12 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no smith but try this...

Set the whole thing in the freezer until it's goodncold. Remove it and vise it up, using wooden blocks made to fit it so no damage is done. Hit the cap with some heat from a torch or heat gun. Quickly try to turn it off by using a padded set of vise grips and gently tapping the handle to urge it off.Go easy here...

HTH...
Old December 13, 2001, 08:03 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Since it's a used gun, it could have been cross-threaded, and jammed. I've also seen one that some "bubba" stripped the threads on, coated with Loctite Red, and jammed it on. Couldn't tell what was done since he cleaned up after himself pretty well.
Finally had to cut the nut off.