The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 08:01 AM   #1
thedudeabides

Revolvers are dead? Long live tupperware!

I've accidentally stumbled into many "first time" CCW classes at the local ranges--Florida has lots of those, especially with everyone wanting to buy a gun for defense these days. Usually a tacticool expert shows gun fearful folk how to perforate a target at 3 yards without shooting yourself or dropping the gun (both are arguably useful skills).

Every first time shooter I see these days wanders in with some tupperware semi. There are no revolvers, alloy/steel frame guns are also absent.

While I wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a novice shooter, why not a revolver? The design is inherently reliable, you don't have to worry about jams and misfeeds. I don't see people shooting revolvers for target practice, either... except the rare few old timers blasting silver dollars single handed at 25 yards.

Every gun these days is some OD green or FE beige tupperware, complete with tactical stuff. You can't buy alloy at the gun shops, except for LEO turn in Sigs. Everything comes in plastic, has a ridiculously short barrel, and holds enough rounds that even if you are **** shot, you're bound to hit SOMETHING if you pull the trigger enough.

Gun sales are strangely psychological, and there are too many factors as to why revolvers and metal frame semis are falling away. I can only mourn them.

Except 1911s. There will be plenty of nuts who continue to buy them to keep the market alive, thankfully.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Hal

Quote:
I don't see people shooting revolvers for target practice, either... except the rare few old timers blasting silver dollars single handed at 25 yards.
Yeah - we've had to go to those bigger sized things @ closer ranges to shoot at.
Old eyes just ain't what they used to be anymore .
Old December 2, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
BLUETIP

Sad ain't it. Go tupperware
Old December 2, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

I myself love revolvers, Only reason I own tupperware is it's light 7 shoots great for $$ ; )

Y/D
Old December 2, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
wpsdlrg

These days, revolvers are seen as "old-fashioned". So, the beginner know-nothings simply flock to that which is "fashionable". No surprise, really.

I have both revolvers and semi-autos. I enjoy both - and I don't consider one type to be "better" than the other. Apples and oranges.... both taste good.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; December 3, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Moby

I carry a revoler (snubbie) when my clothing dictates.
But just like I drive a newer truck rather than a Model A ford, I prefer
a semi auto for all the obvious reasons.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old December 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
TexasJim

Unfortunately here in Texas if you qualify with a revolver that is the only thing you can carry. Yes I took my class with a tupperware piece but it was a Walther P99AS. And of course there are revolvers and one 1911 in my carry stable.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:03 AM   #8
shuler13

Funny thing, I bought and shoot my Tupperware but have bought revolvers with the intent of giving to my kids when they grow up. I assume there's some psychology in the admiration of fine craftsmanship, reliability and quality found in revolvers that I think make a better gift that some piece of plastic. But on range day, I prefer to shoot my 1911s and my various plastic shooters. It's just what I enjoy.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
JonathanZ

I'm 31 and I own 4 handguns: 2 revolvers, 1 metal frame semi and 1 tupperware semi.

I carry a Glock 26 because it is small, lighweight and still holds 12 rounds, but I much prefer shooting my 6" GP100 and Sig P226 at the range.

I also bought an old Sheriff's department trade in S&W model 65-3 for $275 to be my "truck gun". I don't love the fixed sights, but it's a great shooting gun.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
KMAX

I have yet to find a piece of plastic I enjoy shooting as much as a 1911 or almost any revolver. I am still looking though. I do carry the LCP for concealability sake on occasion, but I prefer to CC the S&W 642 revolver. I will admit, that if I couldn't shoot worth anything I would go with one of the high capacity plastic semis. If you throw out enough lead you are bound to hit something!

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; December 2, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
glockman55

Don't let the name fool ya, I am more of a Sig man.. My Wife took over my Glock.. she shoots it very well. I have three sig's I carry the P-238 in warm weather and my 1911 sub compact .45 sig in colder weather. I also have the 1911 .22lr sig I love to shoot on the range,
Old December 2, 2012, 09:35 AM   #12
osbornk

Since I'm old, I remember the moaning and groaning when plastic started replacing metal in cars. It was the beginning of the end when bumpers, grilles, fender liners and other normally metal parts were replaced with plastic. In most cases, plastic has proven to be a better material for many parts than metal ever was.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Mystro

Revolvers aren't going anywhere. My local shop never has a used quality revolver sit more than a few days. Quality never goes out of style and there are enough of us handgun hunters to never let them go. As much as I love my polymer automatics, they will never ooze the quality and mechanical satisfaction as a quality revolver. The da-click-clack of cocking a revolver is as profound as the ka-shlack sound of a pump shotgun. Not to offend fellow Glock owners but owning many Glocks from their beginning of the brand, all my Glocks are disposable and can be easily replaced. I use them in environments I don't want to damage my nicer handguns and they will only ever be a soulless tool (great tool) in my collection. I will never fondle any of my Glocks for the fun of it like I do my revolvers. I like my Glocks but I love my revolvers. I also never feel under gunned carrying my S&W 629 with only 6 rounds of 44mag on my hip or bandoleer holster.

There are gun owners and gun lovers. Many people can own a gun and don't know anything about the gun other than to load and fire them in a emergency.

Gun lovers want to know how and why all guns operate and drive the culture. The later class of gun lovers can distinguish quality and generally can explane the inner most workings of every gun they own and tell you why they are special. These people will never let revolvers die.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; December 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:06 AM   #14
Laz

I make no claims to being a great pistolero, and I am increasing my years (thankfully) but my handgun buying and shooting trend definitely bucks the future. Revolvers are slowly all but dying out. Nevertheless, these days I have fewer semi-autos than ever and even shoot my double-action revolvers much less. I use and shoot single-action revolvers almost exclusively except when it comes to light self defense snubbies and pistols. I know my choices are archaic and celebrate the fact. I have nothing at all against semi-autos or polymer-framed handguns. It's just that I have too little time left on this earth to waste it on things that hold little interest for me and taking that time from things that do. So, I make what I like to shoot work for my defense, rather than make my choices based solely on my defense. If I'm going to protect my life, I want the life I protect to be the one I want to live and not be completely driven by events or trends or fear. I'd rather be skilled with an archaic weapon than merely somewhat competent with a more modern weapon I don't enjoy using. I would never expect someone else to follow that line of reasoning.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Revolvers are heavy, wide, long and low capacity. They serve a purpose but CCW ain't it, IM (not so humble) O.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Ozzieman

Unfortunately here in Texas if you qualify with a revolver that is the only thing you can carry.

In Texas?? John Wayne must have rolled over in his grave when that happened.
In Indiana you don’t even have to qualify and licenses are life time, yes I said lifetime.
As far as all new shooters buying Tupperware, I would say that one of the main reasons is what they see on TV is the tackcool you have to have.
It’s ok with me if revolvers become obsolete and nobody wants them, more for me. I only have 8 N frame S&W’s and I can always use more, a lot more. I’m looking for a nice new in the box 5 inch 27 for the same price as a Glock 19. Anyone have one?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They serve a purpose but CCW ain't it, IM (not so humble) O.
It can be done, and often is. I'm usually carrying a 3" K-Frame.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:28 AM   #18
jmortimer

There are a lot of J Frames and LCRs hiding out there.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:30 AM   #19
Nathan

I happen to CCW a revolver. To me, it makes sense. It carries easy OWB, IWB, or in my pocket. I won't carry auto's in my pocket, sorry. I just trust my revolver more.

Oh yea, I shoot it quite a bit. To 15 yards, I hit better with it with full power 357's than I did at first with my autos. At 5 yards, it points so well, I barely aim it to put rounds on target!

It is a S&W 640 magnaported 357 mag. Great gun...kind of wish I had a front night sight.

I also carry 1911's and a Kahr. My XD does HD duty well.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:34 AM   #20
B.L.E.

Tupperware®???
I had no idea that Earl Tupper got into the gun making business.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:48 AM   #21
GreaseMonkey4Hire

My first handgun was a S&W 686 .357. I'm an automotive technician so polished steel is very alluring. I think the main reason you dont see many new shooters with wheel guns is because all you old guys have bought them all up!!
Old December 2, 2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Water-Man

Nowadays, I mostly carry either a snubby or a 3" K-Frame.

I've come around full circle since 1968 when I got my first carry permit.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #23
spacecoast

Quote:
Revolvers are heavy, wide, long and low capacity. They serve a purpose but CCW ain't it, IM (not so humble) O.
Gosh, I can see it's just about time to revive the "Why Revolvers are Better" list.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:22 AM   #24
stantheman1976

Probably because most people who have never handled or owned a gun only know the Glock brand and see police carrying semis so they automatically think that is the only way to go.

Personally I don't have anything against revolvers but I prefer semis. It's just a preference of mine.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
It can be done, and often is. I'm usually carrying a 3" K-Frame.
Oh, I know people do, but I'll never understand it.

Take your 3" K-frame versus my Glock 33

The K-Frame weighs 36oz empty, the Glock weighs under 20oz empty and just 26oz LOADED, with 10 rounds versus the K-Frame's 6 or 7. The loaded K-Frame is at least 50% heavier than the loaded 33. I could carry 2 spare mags, totaling 28 rounds and have less weight than a 6 shot K.

The Glock is 6.5" long, the K is 8.2

The K, 1.47" wide, G33 1.18.

Despite being 33% longer, the K manages only about the same sight radius as the 33.

Ya'll can carry whatever you want and I'd love a big, fat, heavy, 460SVR for hunting, but there's no way I'd carry a revolver for defense.