The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 6, 2000, 11:58 AM   #1
Thibault

Good day everybody!
I own a 2 year old stock 10/22 RSI (yes, the one not too accurate with the Mannlicher stock, I bought it for my wife, she tought it was pretty... ) that functions flawlessly in warm weather, but seems to misfire or tailpipe empties once in a while in very cold weather (-20 or below). I do not think over-lubrication is the problem, since I tend to work my guns almost dry in winter. Someone suggested graphite grease, would anyone agree?
Also, I would want to replace the iron sights, which I find awful, with HK-style sights I saw in Cabela's. They call them the "Zephyr sighting system". Does anyone have any experience with these?
THX!
Old October 9, 2000, 02:55 AM   #2
Badger Arms

Try this. Remove all of the old lube with action cleaner. Recoat all of the working parts and the bore with a synthetic that doesn't contain teflon or PTFE. I used EEZOX in very cold weather with no problems. Teflon gums up in cold weather. Lived in Alaska for a while and can attest to the Brake Free being bad.
Old October 9, 2000, 04:14 PM   #3
Gopher

The only problem I had with the sights is the fact that the front site is very fragile. I had the gun propped up against the firing bench one day and it fell and broke the front site off. Other than that it was easy to sight in after being installed and stayed sighted. Have you seen the ones with the red or orange fiber optic front sight. If I hadnt installed a bull barrel on mine I might go that route.