The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2007, 02:20 PM   #1
foxmeadow

Best flowing .223 powders

I'm setting up to load .223 on my Lee Loadmaster. I've loaded maybe 40K rounds of pistol ammo on this machine, with good results. .223, on the other hand, has been less than satisfactory, with powder bridging being the main problem. I'm using the Perfect measure, and am searching for the best powder that will run through it reliably. Any thoughts?
Old March 16, 2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Scorch

Ball powders, like BLC-2/WW748, H335, etc work best in my Pro 1000. Stick powders are a pain.
Old March 16, 2007, 02:50 PM   #3
rwilson452

H322 has been metering well for me. I washed the measure in Joy dishwashing soap, rinse and let air dry. I also installed an RCBS powder baffel. Others have suggested using a used dryer sheet to wipe the measure down with I'm alergec to them so I don't have them around. either process seems to remove static problems. The powder baffle does seem to help consistancy. YOu need to spread it out a little to get a good fit.
Old March 16, 2007, 03:07 PM   #4
WmCC

AA 2520. As posted on the other forum, expect 0.0g variation through most powder measures. It is a very accurate ball powder processed into a million microscopic "ball bearing" shaped powder granules which meter precisely and produce(s) very uniform velocities.

LTCOL USMC RET
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old March 16, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Abstract

Just for grins, check your shoulder bump for proper headspacing from your sizing die with a Wilson or Wilson-type case gage. Bet you won't be able to bump the shoulder enough for proper headspacing.
Old March 17, 2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Kato_Guy

I just set up my reloading stuff and my lee powder measure that comes with the anniversary kit leaks h335 out the side. I ran 1.5 fills through it and nothing sealed up. They said to run one hopper full through it?!!
Old March 17, 2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Ammo Junky

Quote:
I washed the measure in Joy dishwashing soap, rinse and let air dry.
Thats good advice wilson. If you dont rinse it works even better / longer. I assume you mean you washed the hopper seperated from the body. I had a body rust up on me from just degreasing with gumout, so be aware the body will rust if you get it damp.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old March 17, 2007, 02:56 PM   #8
rwilson452

For leaks go to the hardware store a get some powdered graphite. squirt a bunch down the hole of the hopper. works for me.. Powdered Mica works too.