The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Q.C.

Lake City 30-06 brass

As I was digging thru a bucket of range brass that I have. I came across quite a bit of L.C. brass. I'm just wondering if the primers are crimped? Also is this good brass to reload?

Thanks Deadeye
Old March 12, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2
cobra81

They're most likely crimped. Run one of them through your re-sizing die and decap the case. If the spent primer comes out with a little more effort than usual, and has a bulge where your decapping pin had to fight to get it dislodged, it was crimped.
I've got a bunch of Lake City .30/06 brass, headstamp 68, and it's all crimped.
Old March 12, 2007, 08:40 PM   #3
TimRB

Your Lake City brass is definitely crimped, so be prepared for it. That is, if you use your normal sizing/decapping die, be mentally ready for the possibility that you will break the decapping pin. FWIW, Lee makes a punch-style decapper that sells for a few bucks that will decap crimped brass. Once your brass is decapped you also need to get rid of the crimp itself, and there are various tools that can do this.

All that being said, LC is excellent brass, and is well worth the trouble.

Tim
Old March 12, 2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Trapper L

If your LC brass is ball type empties then it will be crimped. If you have the match brass from LC, it does not require removing a crimp as it never had one. I have several thousand of the match LC brass, none has a crimp.
Old March 12, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
cheygriz

LC ball brass is crimped, but it's high enough quality that removing the crimp is time very well spent. And yes, it's good to reload. IMHO, better than ANY commercial brass.
Old March 12, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6
rem33

I have been reloading LC brass since I have been reloading and so far, thousands of rounds later all is OK.

Primers are crimped unless they have been reloaded.
Whole buncha deer and elk seem to think they worked OK.
it is not hard to tell if they are crimped once you punch the primer out. Compare them to some factory brass and you can see a difference. The edge of the primer pocket will be sharp on crimped and rounded on factory.

The first year or so, (60's), that Hornady made 30-06 ammo they used LC brass. I have several boxes of the stuff.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Q.C.

Thanks for the replies. I will definatley clean this stuff & reload it.

Thanks deadeye