The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
pastordan

9mm 124 & 147 gr Ispc hand load help xd 5"

I am trying to develop a hand load for my xd, as it says in the title it is the tactical model with a 5 inch barrel. Oal, bullet weight and powder are all important. Any thought on crimp would be appreciated. How to deal with the "Glock buldge" - I just sort my brass by checking it in my barrel after cleaning the brass if it slips in the barrel I load it if it doesn't I set it aside. I have 231, Unique and WSF to go with rainier 124 fmj and zero 147 jhp. I have heard a lot about oal length with the xd. I am looking for some help from you guys that have already developed a great load for your xd. I respect that you worked hard to develop it and would really appreciate some real help. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Doby45

You can send all that horrible "Glocked" brass to me. I will fix it.
Old March 20, 2009, 12:40 AM   #3
fourrobert13

Glock brass? Just run it through a resizing die. That is all I shoot. Now back to the XD load. I run Unique at 4.8gr with 124gr FMJ Precision Delta's at an OAL of 1.15 to 1.16. With 231, I use 5gr (worked up to that) with the same OAL stated earlier. Can't help you with the Zero's. Don't be scared of Glock brass, there isn't nothing wrong with it, just resize it. I no longer have an XD, but I used the above data when I did. I am all Glock now, and not going back.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
pastordan

Resizing Glock Brass

It works for most of it but the die only goes about 3/4's of the way down the case and I have had 2 FTE's and one live round get stuck out of one hundred reloads and it's making me nervous. For those serious bulges it does not completely solve the problem. It does not look like Lee makes the undersized die that used to solve the problem, they are also saying it does not really solve it to cover their buns. Thanks for the info fourrobert13. Any more info out there for a guy who needs some help?
Old March 20, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Doby45

I have no problem with my Lee resizing die going all the way down the case. The FCD does the samething.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
pastordan

I fixed it

I did not have the die set low enough in relationship to the shell plate. In the right spot it so it is working much better now. Any more help out there on the best loads for an xd.
Old March 21, 2009, 06:28 PM   #7
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordan View Post
I did not have the die set low enough in relationship to the shell plate. In the right spot it so it is working much better now. Any more help out there on the best loads for an xd.
You will have find the "best" load for you own gun–what works for me might be horribly inaccurate for you.

For what it's worth, I've found that Power Pistol and HS-6 have given the best results (for me) with 124gr and 147gr loads.

My current load of choice for 124gr FMJ is 6.0gr of Power Pistol, CCI 500 primer, COL of 1.135"–I'm using Precision Delta FMJ's.

I'm shooting these out of a CZ 75BD.

Last edited by That'll Do; March 22, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
pastordan

Thanks

I agree and it is why I included my gun type and barrel length to the post. I was hoping some of those experts out there that shoot the xd would help me with some of their valued pet info that they have worked so hard to obtain.