The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
NRATC

Hodgdon 'Clays' with 147 gr. Precisions

Just ordered 147 gr. fp from Precision. I plan to use Hodgdon 'Clays'. Has anyone used this combo? I can't seem to find any loading data for the 147 gr. bullets. Do I use data for lead bullets as opposed to FMJ? Felt recoil is an issue rather than speed. I will use this load in a Glock 34. Can anyone give me a starting load?
Old March 10, 2007, 11:06 PM   #2
brownie42

Never loaded that particular combination, but do know that with Precision bullets you should use lead bullet data.

--Bill
Old March 10, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3
HSMITH

Use lead data, and starting loads will be fine. DO NOT crimp more than just taking the bell out of the case. Increase charges until the gun functions or you hit the top of the data. Do not be surprised to see keyholes and other erratic behavior if you crimp more than just taking the bell out of the case. You will end up somewhere around 3.2 to get the gun to function and around 3.5 to get it solid. Watch the crimp, that is where the problems will start.
Old March 11, 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
hapi

Use lead data

i tapered the bell back 0.002", not much at all. if you get smoking, adjust the taper.

with a slower burning powder the precisions become snappy. i used W231 and they were very snappy. I used a faster burning powder and they shot softer, but smoked a bit more. nothing bad, though. i can shoot 5-10 in a row and still see what i'm hitting.
Old March 13, 2007, 01:34 PM   #5
NRATC

load data for 'clays' and 147 gr lead bullet

I still need a starting load for 'Clays' powder and 147 gr. lead fp.
Thanks
Old March 17, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
fangtastic

I use Clays with 185 grain precision bullets for my .45. I've noticed that using clays with precision bullets tends to melt the coating on to the barrel, which is a pain to get out sometimes. I've read that since clays is such a quick burning powder, it'll tend to do that - just a heads up