The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2007, 01:12 PM   #1
RERICK

New Stag Arms AR

I just picked up my new Stag 2TL and want to reload for it. its chambered for 5.56. I full sized a few cases and made up a few dummy rounds and chambered the first round and I couldn't cycle it to chamber another round.
It was so tight I had to bang the but of the stock on the bench while pulling on the charge lever. I'm sure its something simple that I need to do I'm just unsure what. I'm not new to reloading but I am a rookie to loading for the AR.
Old March 10, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Tbag

Have you actually tried loading new ammo? Something does not sound right, did you size correctly.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
RERICK

Yup. I lubed the cases and ran them through a full size die. I used some new cases as well as some once fired
Old March 10, 2007, 02:19 PM   #4
DaveInGA

Rerick,

I'm running into the same problem with mine on resized cases. It'll feed M855 surplus ball fine, but not the reloaded cases. Since it's supposed to be 5.56 and not .223, I'm about ready to return the thing to Stag. If I wanted a .223 chamber, I would have ordered one in the first place.

Sounds like you have the same deal, a barrel that's chambered too tight.

Dave
Old March 10, 2007, 02:44 PM   #5
RERICK

I just got off the phone with a Dillon tech guy. He said to tighten the sizing die a little more so to bump the shoulder back a little and that would do it.
I'll go and try it and post the results.
Old March 10, 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
rickh

I have reloaded 1,000's of rounds for my Springfield AR15 5.56/.223.
Not ONE has failed to fire or cycle the action.
I use RCBS FL competion dies.
Clean
Check length Resize as needed.
Clean
Prime
Charge
Seat bullet
Check over all length
Sounds to me like your OAL is a little long...
Rick H...
Old March 10, 2007, 03:18 PM   #7
RERICK

I size 5 cases with the die adjusted lower.Then trimmed them.I set a Hornandy55 grain FMJ at 2.230 and 2.220 and 2.200. They all chambered and ejected nice and smooth. I think I solved the problem.
I thought the OAL might have been too long so I measured the chamber with OAL gauge and its a long way to hit the bottom of the chamber. like I said I think the sizing die was the issue.
I'll have to load up a few rounds and try it out at the range to be sure.
Old March 10, 2007, 07:55 PM   #8
amamnn

Just a note for others new to loading for the 5.56 nato chamber: Long leade, short shoulder. The better ARs will have a tighter shoulder. It's not a .223 rem, although the way things are going pretty soon the leade in a factory .223 rem will be as long, if the lawyers have their way.
Old March 10, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
DaveInGA

Rerick,

How much below the standard setting did you have to turn the die? I'll have to try that with mine and see how it goes. This one was initially having trouble with M855 ball as well though.

Dave
Old March 10, 2007, 11:59 PM   #10
fourrobert13

Make sure the brass doesn't need trimmed. If I remember, trim it to 1.75, and also check your crimp.
Old March 11, 2007, 05:25 AM   #11
RERICK

Dave,
I turned it to the shell holder and then another half to 3\4 of a turn. Turn it just enough so as to give it that little bump when you raise the ram all the way.
Old March 11, 2007, 08:20 AM   #12
HankL

You did clean the chamber and bore of your new rifle right?

Sorry, but I've done worse.
Old March 14, 2007, 11:13 AM   #13
DaveInGA

After trying out all the suggestions in the thread with no joy. I called a couple of different die manufacturers. I was getting scratches in the brass (yes, rifle is cleaned spotless and lubed properly, I'm an ex grunt) as well as small chunks being torn out of the brass bass by the extractor, along with odd wear on the bolt cam pin.

Called Stag Arms and talked to their tech. support folks. They are sending me a new upper and issuing a call tag for the old one. Evidentally, the chamber is defective. I can't see it visually, but it's there.

Dave
Old March 14, 2007, 06:05 PM   #14
RERICK

Dave. Like you said it must be defective.I loaded some rounds and size the way I describe and they all shot fine. No misfeeds at all. I have been looking into an RCBS X-Die Full Length Sizer Die 223 Remington Small Base. They say they are made just for semi autos. You might try that when you get you situation taken care of.
Old March 15, 2007, 05:14 PM   #15
DaveInGA

It's been many years ago back in the early nineties, but I owned a Bushmaster AR15A2 I built from a kit. That rifle had a 5.56 chamber and would eat anything, including any reload. I suppose the tighter chamber is more accurate, but I'd rather this rifle had the reliability that one had. After all, I bought this one for emergency use, such as a "Katrina" situation.

Regards,

Dave