The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2002, 12:28 PM   #1
Fatelvis

Savage 23-D rebarreling?

I aquired a very nice condition Savage 23-D (22 Hornet), but suspect its headspace is too long. I bought 100 pcs. NEW Rem brass, loaded a few different safe "recipes" with .223" dia bullets, and came up with a couple seperated heads- ON THE FIRST FIRING! The others showed signs of stretching. This is AFTER I bought and installed everything to scope this rifle. Would it be worth it to have a `Smith recut the chamber, or completely rebarrel, or throw the rifle in the trash? Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 29, 2002, 01:42 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Isn't the Savage 23 the model that is all one piece, no separate barrel and receiver? Gonna be tough to rebarrel.

I don't know what you could recut the chamber for that would clean up a Hornet and be within the pressure limits of the action and feed from the magazine. And it might be the lockup that is worn or beat back, anyway.

Or it might be the brass. Try to find a few Winchesters.

You need a REAL gunsmith.
Old November 29, 2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Archie

Try this...

Seat the bullets out long enough to touch the rifling. (Starting loads, of course.)

That way, the cases are firmly up against the bolt face and they can't stretch. This will fireform the cases and you can see what shape the chamber is.

If you necksize only from now on, you have a 22 Hornet Cheapskate Improved.

Could be the bolt locking surface is worn, so a new bolt (if available) might be in order. Replacing the barrel is tatamount to buying a new rifle.

I've got one of these rifles in .32-20. Ain't they fun for a little rifle? I would like another in .22 Hornet, but the last one I saw at a gun show was $400.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old November 29, 2002, 07:19 PM   #4
Fatelvis

Thanx Archie, its worth a try!!
Old November 30, 2002, 12:07 AM   #5
Fatelvis

Doesnt the 22 Hornet headspace on the rim? If so, is it possible that it has been chambered for 22K Hornet? It may sound stupid, but how can I tell? Thanx again guys.
Old November 30, 2002, 12:20 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Look at your empties.
A K-Hornet has almost no body taper, a sharp shoulder and a short neck. If your empties are still a long taper with hardly any visible shoulder, they aren't K-Hornets.