View Poll Results: Which is better?
Boresnake 14 24.14%
Bore brush 22 37.93%
Both 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27, 2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Ricklin

Boresnake

I use a boresnake on my 12 ga. target shotgun. I don't think I can get the bore any cleaner than a few passes with the snake. I put CLP on the snake ahead of the bristle portion. My bore is pristine.

A handy tip to clean boresnakes. An empty gallon jug with a big slug of Oileater and a quart of very hot water. Put that all in the jug along with the boresnake and shake it. Follow with a couple of hot water rinses using the same method. Wring out the boresnake and hand it out to dry for a few days. Looks just like new.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:26 PM   #27
guns54

Boresnake VS, bore brush

Never will i use a boresnake again, Toke my and my son 4 days to get it out, get it out with a small fishing hook.The gyt at ruger told me to try it, if it didnt work, to send it into ruger.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:01 PM   #28
The Great Mahoo

I use both.

Bore snake is used at the range prior to packing up, or for just a quick cleaning if its going to be shot again soon. My thorough cleanings at home always are done with the rod and brush/patches.

I like the idea of using the snake on guns you otherwise need to clean from the muzzle, though.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:41 PM   #29
craZivn

I bought a Boresnake for my .17HMR, and the weight wouldn't fit into the barrel. I returned it. The guys at the Gander Mountain service counter actually looked embarrassed when I explained the problem.

And yes, it was a .17 caliber Boresnake.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Jevyod

I also use both. I will use the snake for a quick cleaning at the range. But I do still clean it with brush and solvent every now and again.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:16 PM   #31
rcase1234

I don't think anything can replace my brush and patches. Never used a bore snake. Would be interested In one for those quick cleans but other than that I love my bore brush and patches
Old February 1, 2013, 04:02 AM   #32
JD0x0

I've never had any problems with my boresnake. I run it multiple times, before and after I fire. I'm anal about keeping the bore clean, for proper barrel break in. I clean every few shots, usually while the barrel is still warm, so the grime doesn't build up. I wont argue getting in there with pads and a brush is superior, but it's a pain when you want to clean as often as I do.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:55 AM   #33
FtrPilot

I use a Hoppes bore snake on my AR, and to date have had no problems. I have to admit that I had not considered the possibility of the snake breaking. My plan is to tie some fishing line on the tail of the snake. If the snake breaks, I will have fishing line already attached and won't have to fish it out like guns54 had to. My bore snake has a loop on the end, so tying some fishing line on the tail will be easy. I believe this will work if the snake breaks. Comments please.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:18 PM   #34
Fox84

Boresnakes and Clp is all I use. Never a isssue.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #35
F23Blackwidow2

Not as perfect as it seems

I'd been using the regular patch and rod set up since I started shooting. Then I heard about bore snakes. I figured why not? It's not like it will hurt anything. So I bought one and used one on my .22lr, and stored it for a month. When I took it out to do a maintenance cleaning, I decided to use a rod and patches. I could not believe what I was looking at when the patches came out!! They were just about 100% BLACK with fowling!!! RIDICULOUS!!

So, now I always take the extra time to clean it the old fashion way. Remember the old saying "You can have it done quickly, cheaply, or properly: pick any 2." Although the "cheaply" part doesn't really apply to this, you get the idea.

Ken B.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:23 AM   #36
Baylorattorney

Bore snake caused me lots of problems. Tho it was .223/5.56 it was too large and got so lodged in my barrel I had to take it to the gunsmith in town to dislodge it - something I don't do lightly.

I won't use it again.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:31 AM   #37
LockedBreech

I love bore snakes. I have one for my AR, one for my 870, and one for my .38 revolver and LCP.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:51 AM   #38
Dragline45

Had one in .22 and it broke after just a few times. I use a steel one piece cleaning rod with a bore guide.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #39
fishhead1

One word for rifles and revolvers (especially small bore )- Otis.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:54 PM   #40
Baylorattorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead1 View Post
One word for rifles and revolvers (especially small bore )- Otis.
Our Tool Is Stuck?
Old February 28, 2013, 12:06 PM   #41
jimherb

I have a bore snake Viper stuck in my .223 bbl. Still trying various ways to get it out. I think the little tassle on the end of the Viper is the culprit, since I've never had a problem with a regular bore snake.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:43 AM   #42
breakingcontact

Quote:
I suspect the problem crops up more when used in longer barrels such as rifles and shotguns...not so much in pistol length barrels.
I would feel OK using one on a pistol barrel but not a rifle/shotgun.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:36 AM   #43
rebs

Could it be that the bore snakes need to be really wet to work good and not get stuck in the barrel. Maybe a good dose of Hoppe's or other bore cleaner from the front to the end of the brissels and a good dose of clp or other treatment from the brissels to the end of the snake ? That way the snake is well lubricated ?
Old March 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #44
JD0x0

Quote:
Could it be that the bore snakes need to be really wet to work good and not get stuck in the barrel. Maybe a good dose of Hoppe's or other bore cleaner from the front to the end of the brissels and a good dose of clp or other treatment from the brissels to the end of the snake ? That way the snake is well lubricated ?
Yes, the snake should not be pulled through the barrel unlubricated unless absolutely necessary . It doesn't need to be soaked, and infact probably shouldn't be. I use a bit of bore cleaner in front and behind the bristles and depending on how much oil I want in the barrel I'll put extra cleaner at the end of the snake to coat the barrel for storage. If im planning on firing the gun I use much less oil. And I use the snake until it is just a very VERY thin layer of oil in the bore.