The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Prof Young

Berrys Plated in 45 cal

Loaders:
So, I finally shot the 45C loads with the Berry's Plated bullets. I used the jacketed bullet formulas, stay a bit under the max powder and did not crimp. Both the 200 gn hollow points and 230 gn round nose grouped very well at 25 yards. Will go ahead and reload the rest, but will most likely stay with jacketed bullets after I shoot these up.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 29, 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Turbo6ta

While Berry's plated bullets are of very good quality, they are priced higher than I can buy a good quality FMJ from Precision Delta:

Berry's .45ACP / 230 gr Coated / RN
$141.76 with free shipping per 1,000

Precision Delta .45ACP / 230gr FMJ / RN
$132.00 with free shipping per 1,000
Old December 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Bigdog57

The Berry's folks say to use LEAD data for their plated bullets. I have done it both ways, used lead data and jacketed data in both.45ACP and .38Special. With these lower-pressure loads, it likely makes little difference.
I use Berry's, Rainier and X-treme plated - never saw any difference performancewise to worry about - I buy whichever I can find the best deal on.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Hammerhead

Glad to hear they are shooting straight.

Have you checked to make sure the bullets are not pulling out of the cases under recoil? Shoot 5 then see if the 6th bullet has moved forward.

Neck tension might be enough to hold them, but don't be afraid to add a light crimp with plated bullets. I crimp mine and it hasn't caused any problems. Recovered bullets show a crease in the plating at the crimp line, but no peeling or other problems.

Jacketed data has proven to be more consistent with the speeds I'm seeing on the chronograph using plated bullets in all my handgun calibers.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Prof Young

Berrys

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Yea, they are kind of pricy. I bought them cause I couldn't find anything else in 45 at any of the places I normally look for reloading supplies. I think it's time to start buying bullets on line and getting exactly what I want instead of what I can find on the shelves. In fact 1000 9mm fmj came into day from Midway.

Hammerhead, that's good advice. I'll have to check for movement. Maybe will move to a light crimp.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
POSTED BY BIGDOG 57

The Berry's folks say to use LEAD data for their plated bullets.
Actually they say to use jacketed data. This from the FAQ section of their website....

Quote:
Q.) How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

A.) Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

You may want to give X-treme a try their 45LC bullets have crimp cannelures. 45acp can be had for $121 for 1000. Since I can't shoot lead bullets indoors in the winter time this is my main go to. I shoot them a lot in the summer as well but do fire lead from time to time.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:41 PM   #8
azphx55

I've looked at x-treme, but would rather pay more to order on-line and receive an email confirmation and order updates. I don't like to order over the phone and haven't seen a postage stamp in months.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:38 PM   #9
serf 'rett

Precision Delta requires an order of 2000 to get the free shipping; therefore, the cost for 2K would be $264.00.

Cost for 2K of 230 gn Berrys from Powder Valley is $249.00 with shipping included; therefore, the Berrys is less cost if you know where to get them.

To further reduce your cost, look at cast bullets.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Turbo6ta

serf ... I just ordered 1,000 45ACP 230gr FMJ RN from Precision Delta. The cost to my door was $132.

Below is a partial cut and paste of the email I just recieved from Precision Delta:

Hello,

Thank you for your order with Precision Delta Ammunition. Below are your order details.

Order Number: 2260-2982-3785
Order Date: 2012-12-22 07:26:22

ORDER SUMMARY
----------------------------
Item Subtotal: 132.00

Sales Tax: 0.00

Shipping Cost: 0.00

GRAND TOTAL: 132.00

ITEMS:
Qty - Price - Part# - Desc
1 - 132.00 - PDB-B-45-230-FMJ - 45 Auto 230gr FMJ Bullets
(Price Includes Shipping) See Below for Ordering Requirements

Thank You.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:06 PM   #11
leadchucker

The wording of Precision Delta's shipping and minimums policy is a little vague.
Quote:
Bullets must be ordered in multiples of 2,000 (calibers and bullet types can be mixed and matched by the 1,000). If your bullet order totals an odd quantity, we do charge $5 (this charge will not be reflected in your shopping cart but will be charged when we process your order.)
Quantities of a thousand automatically get free shipping. I would have expected them to charge you the $5 on that order though.

BTW, my last order from them was for 2000 bullets. It came in a USPS flat rate box. My route deliverer usually brings packages to the back door. She had a heck of a time with that box. My wife didn't even try to pick it up. They get their money's worth out of those flat rates.

Last edited by leadchucker; December 31, 2012 at 08:14 PM.