The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2015, 10:15 AM   #1
CZ9Joe

Star BM extractor issues

Hello -

I've owned a Star BM 9mm that I purchased many years ago and I take it to the range once in a blue moon. It has always cycled flawlessly for me until a recent trip to the range where I seemed to be having extraction issues. Spent cartridges would either get caught in the slide sideways or they would be half way out of the chamber and the slide would jam.
I recognized this as an extractor issue so when I got home I field stripped the BM and decided to remove the pin that holds the extractor and extractor spring in place. I've always field stripped and cleaned the pistol after each range visit in the past but I was surprised to see that is was a black cruddy mess behind the extractor once I managed to take it off. It was an area I've never cleaned before.
I cleaned it up nicely in there and reassembled the pistol and plan to put 50 rounds through it on my next range visit.
I guess my question is, can a dirty extractor or a pool of gunk buildup behind the extractor cause extractor malfunctions or is it more likely that I am due for a new extractor and extractor spring on this pistol? Do all pistols eventually have significant crud build up behind the extractor? How often should they be removed and cleaned?
Old July 26, 2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It is certainly possible to get enough fouling under the extractor to affect operation. I don't know how often it needs to be cleaned out, the pinned extractors are less convenient to remove than a 1911's.
My CZ75 was very sensitive to this and required frequent cleaning. A new sharp extractor and fresh spring greatly extended the time between cleanings.

I would replace the spring only unless the extractor was chipped or bent.
Old July 26, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

90% of all firearms malfunctions may be attributed to it being dirty.
Old July 26, 2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Clark

Some guy who worked at the grocery store brought over his guns that did not work. He had a number of old Browning semi auto 22s that were just full of crud that I cleaned out. He said that they worked then.
The memorable thing was his wife would not let him have guns, so he kept them at his mother's house under mattresses. We looked at them. He had inherited from his father, triple barrel engraved European break action guns. I had previously only seen pictures of such guns.

I am more than happy to clean other people's guns for such experiences
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 26, 2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Mobuck

When I was packing a BM full time, I used brake parts cleaner to flush the crud out of nooks and crannies followed by a light spray of lube. I haven't shot either of my BM's since 2009 mostly because I don't use a shoulder holster anymore due to wardrobe changes.
I like the BM quite a lot and it was my choice of pistol in 2008 when my dominant hand was in a cast for 6 weeks. I switched to a lefty holster for the BM and it worked well.
Old August 9, 2015, 11:07 AM   #6
CZ9Joe

Thanks for the replies. Cleaning behind the extractor seems to have solved my issue. I'll have to be more vigilant about my extractor inspections from now on.