The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Dragline45

Torn Between Sig 229 and Glock 19

Looking to fill a spot in my lineup as far as pistols go, and torn between the Sig 229 and the Glock 19. I have a Bodyguard .380 for the pocket, Shield 9mm for my EDC, and a Beretta M9A1 for nightstand duty. So either the 19 or 229 will fill in the gap and take the role of winter carry or for anytime I am wearing a cover garment.

While I personally prefer DA/SA pistols, I have no problem with striker fired and carried an SR9C for about a year or so. I have a whole lot more trigger time with my cousins 229, but recently shot a buddies 19 and fell in love with it. While the higher capacity of the 19 is a bonus, it's not really a deal breaker for me as 13+1 in the 229 IMO is plenty. Mecgar 15rd mags for the 229 are not an option as I live in Massachusetts and only have access to pre-ban mags which I can get fairly easy for either pistol. Even though new Glock's are not easily obtained in Mass, they are on the roster, and despite what most shops say, they can be sold to the public and possessed legally. I can get a Gen 4 Glock 19 if I choose it will just take a bit longer and be a bit of a hassle, but that's not really a huge issue.

Looking for opinions from people who have either owned and carried both pistols, or handled both pistols extensively or enough to get a good feel for them. Pics comparing the two are also welcome if you have them.
Old February 17, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
sigarms228

I own both and my personal preference is the SIG P229 because I just love my SIGs and their DA/SA trigger but I trust my life to either.

However you have tried both and seem to like and shoot both maybe equally well? In that case it would probably first come down to which trigger action you prefer for CCW if any preference. If no preference then the Glock 19 probably makes most sense because it is so much lighter than the P229 for CCW.

Good luck!
Old February 17, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3
AndyWest

You can't beat a SIG P226/P229.

I love shooting it. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:05 PM   #4
silverstang23

I have both. Have shot thousands of rounds through both. My glock is not stock. If the option was a stock sig vs stock glock I would go Sig every day of the week, hands down. However my glock is not stock. I have a 3.5 or so pound trigger with custom barrels and the rest of the goodies. With that disclosure:

I shoot IDPA with my glock. The single action is much better for quick shots. The trigger is very similar to a 1911 if not better then some. I prefer to carry my glock when it's hot because I can conceal it under a tshirt. It is a little thinner and lighter then the sig. Glock ergonomics are crap IMO. The Sig feels way better in the hand. It is much easier to control and points naturally. Everyone of my friends who has shot both prefers the sig. I also prefer the Sig for everything but IDPA. The ergonomics of the Sig are phenomenal. Both guns are easy to clean and very reliable. I shoot at least 250 rounds a week, split between the two, and have had no failures of any kind with either gun. So reliability shouldn't be a factor. An x300 works great on both guns. Really comes down to personal preference. I'm a sig fanboy so the 229 gets my vote. If you have any specific questions, pm me.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Dragline45

Quote:
However you have tried both and seem to like and shoot both maybe equally well? In that case it would probably first come down to which trigger action you prefer for CCW if any preference.
I prefer DA/SA, and while I shoot both well I do shoot the Sig slightly better. I am leaning towards the 229, but I am still on the fence between the two.

Quote:
I prefer to carry my glock when it's hot because I can conceal it under a tshirt. It is a little thinner and lighter then the sig.
While I can see the Glock concealing easier, 90% of the time I will be carrying my Shield. Any time I do carry the 19 or 229, I will have a cover garment or heavier clothes on so concealment won't be a huge issue. I do agree with what you said before though and that the ergonomics of the Sig did feel much better.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:09 PM   #6
SHE3PDOG

If you like both, but prefer the DA/SA trigger for the most part, I'd opt for the Sig.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 17, 2014, 11:44 PM   #7
40CalGuy

man alive, that's a hard choice. if there's a budget involved, the Glock will likely win. if the budget is under $1000, then it's much to do with your preference on operation and aesthetics. to be honest, there's no bad answer here. if you like both then both are suitable choices. to be honest, if you have the budget for both, i'd highly recommend going that route.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:16 AM   #8
dehughes

I have both.

The Glock 19 is arguably the best single handgun a person could own. The debate on that is for another thread, but I guarantee it would be a very long thread.

Sig pistols are my absolute favorite "line" out there...especially the P series. I have a P229 and P239, both in .40, and while I do NOT like the .40 I absolutely love shooting it in those pistols. A P229 in 9mm would be even better, and I'm looking to pick one up...either that or a M11 (which is something else you could consider). The balance and ergos on the P229 are absolutely perfect for my hands, and the gun points perfectly and naturally. I shoot the DA/SA trigger more accurately than any Glock I've shot (and I've shot a bunch), but that's a matter of preference as you may shoot a Glock trigger better. All those factors make me vote Sig any day of the week. There's also a certain intangible "something" that Sigs possess....even given their recent issues with QC, etc..

You've shot them before, so go back, pick up both, pull the triggers, point them and see where the sights rise for you, feel the balance in your hand, and make your choice. If price is an issue, then wait and save for the Sig if you prefer it. If the Glock speaks to you, then get it and don't give the Sig a second thought. It's a win-win for you, my friend. Don't over-think it.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Brotherbadger

If you prefer DA/SA, go with the Sig. Both are excellent guns though.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 18, 2014, 06:05 AM   #10
Noreaster

Massachusetts firearms dealers cannot legally sell Glock handguns manufactured after October 21, 1998 unless it is to a law enforcement official who is using it “for official duty use only”.

There are are 2 set of “rules” in MA...the State laws and the regulations (also known as CMR’s). Under the State laws (MGL Chapter 140) Glocks are listed on the MA Approved Roster List.

However, under the MA Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Regulation (CMR 940 16.00 et seq) Glocks do not comply because they don’t have the required loaded chamber indicator. Post 10/21/98 handguns sold in MA must comply with both the laws and regulations in order to be sold legally. MA dealers are subject to a $5,000 per handgun fine for selling a non-compliant handgun under this CMR.

Because Glocks are listed on the Approved Roster, dealers can sell Glock handguns that were manufactured prior to the inception of the AG’s regulations which was 10/21/98)

Confusing but I guess this means buy the Sig.

Last edited by Noreaster; February 18, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old February 18, 2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Coach Z

The sig is a fantastic gun and would be my choice of the two.

Not to muddy the waters but if you have a beretta A1 as the nightstand gun what about the 92A1 compact? Common mags between the two same manual of arms etc. Just my two cents worth.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:02 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Glock 23....

I'd buy a new Glock gen 04 23 .40S&W. It's able to convert from .40 to 9x19mm to .357sig to the .22LR(with a after market kit).
To change calibers all you'd need is the special conversion barrels & maybe the magazines.
Lenny Magill of www.glockstore.com has a few youtube.com clips where he explains how to convert a Glock 22 or 23 .40 to different calibers.
I prefer the .357sig but it's starting to slide off as a major defense caliber.
Large police agencies like the NM State Police & Texas DPS are switching from .357sig to the M&P 9x19mm caliber.

Clyde
Old February 18, 2014, 10:01 AM   #13
AK103K

Having owned 226's, 229's, 17's, and 19's, I would suggest you look at all of them before you decide.

The 226 and 229 are really not all that different size wise, but feel quite different in your hands. I carried and shot my 226's more than the 229's, and found the 226's grips were more comfortable. The 226's are also "slimmer" than the 229's when you compare them.

As far as the Glocks, again, the 17 and 19's really arent all that different size wise, and I favor the "larger" 17's, and again, more for comfort than anything else.

Regardless which one you choose, you really cant go wrong. They are all good shooters and all are reliable to the point of boredom.
Old February 18, 2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Oh man.. Ask people like Spats McGee, Crazy88Fingers, Uncle Malice, TunnelRat, Kevin...etc...

I'm always torn between my P226 and Glock 19. One I carried for 3 years straight and the other for about 2 years straight.

I just recently purchased 4 mags for my P226, MecGar 18 rounders. So 18+1 in the gun and 3 spares for work. I feel all set. It has the SRT Trigger because it's the E2 version. With night sights. Just an amazing gun. I have the barrel at Robar where it's getting refinished as we speak. I'm carrying an HK USP 45 right now till I get it back.

My Glock 19, has the NY1 trigger spring with the minus connector. I have dozens of Glock magazines. Largest being the 33 rounder. Trijicon HD's night sights. And rigs for days! Love that gun too.

I'm still torn up... However. I think a part of me really likes the SIG Sauer P226 more because for some reason most people I know carry Glock's or M&P's and they admire my SIG so much. So physiologically it makes me happy.

I shoot them both extremely well. The DA in the P226 is much smoother than on the HK USP 45. The Glock's trigger both factory and the way I set it up, is great and I'm really accurate with it too.

It boils down to...... Nothing, no words of wisdom. Sorry. I love them both. Same dilemma.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
Massachusetts firearms dealers cannot legally sell Glock handguns manufactured after October 21, 1998 unless it is to a law enforcement official who is using it “for official duty use only”.

There are are 2 set of “rules” in MA...the State laws and the regulations (also known as CMR’s). Under the State laws (MGL Chapter 140) Glocks are listed on the MA Approved Roster List.

However, under the MA Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Regulation (CMR 940 16.00 et seq) Glocks do not comply because they don’t have the required loaded chamber indicator. Post 10/21/98 handguns sold in MA must comply with both the laws and regulations in order to be sold legally. MA dealers are subject to a $5,000 per handgun fine for selling a non-compliant handgun under this CMR.

Because Glocks are listed on the Approved Roster, dealers can sell Glock handguns that were manufactured prior to the inception of the AG’s regulations which was 10/21/98)

Confusing but I guess this means by the Sig.
There are shops in Mass that will sell brand new Gen 4 Glock's to non LEO's and have been for years, although they charge a premium because they know most shops wont do it. I can also go on gun classified forums in Mass and pick up a Gen 4 Glock if I wanted. The Attorney General is a clown, and the only reason most shops wont sell new Glock's is because they have been pressured not to from his office for years. From what I have been told by a very reliable source, the Mass firearms roster is the only official list and anything on that list can be legally sold to the public despite what the crooked Attorney General says. The Attorney's Generals "black list" isn't an official list or even on record, all he did was threaten shops with a $5,000 fine if they sell guns that he doesn't think people should own, despite them making the roster and being approved for sale in MA. Most shops wont sell them because they are pressured not to and don't want to potentially be slapped with a fine, some shops know the laws and rights better than even the Attorney General does and do so despite his threat's and sell them anyway.

The only reason the attorney general can give why Glock's shouldn't be sold is it has no LCI, if that was the case then my Sig 232 shouldn't have been legal because it had no LCI either. It's like having ammo shipped to Mass online, while perfectly legal to do so most online distributors wont do it.

Despite all this, most of the post's I see are pushing me towards the 229 which is what I was leaning towards anyway. I will probably own both at some point, but there are far too many other guns I need before having two similar guns for the same purpose. Appreciate all the replies.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 18, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Mastrogiacomo

The 229 is a fine gun. I have the 228 and like it a lot. I also have the Glock 26 from a private sale....got tired of waiting for it....

Laura
Old February 18, 2014, 05:49 PM   #17
David spargenator

I think both are outstanding choices. I think the glock may have a little more aftermarket accessories going for it tho. That personally pushes me toward glock. However if u want the sig, by all means get it. Get the glock later
Old February 18, 2014, 10:57 PM   #18
RC20

One other point in the Sigs favor, you do not have to carry it in a holster.
So if some or all the time its an inside pocket the Sig wins hands down (or avoids the dreaded glock leg or in one case I know of, glock butt.

glocks should always be holster carried.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:03 PM   #19
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
...It's not really a deal breaker for me as 13+1 in the 229 IMO is plenty
My SIG 229 9mm has 15 shot magazines making it 15+1. In fact, I own eight 15-shot magazines for it. You may want to double check where you got the 13 information.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:07 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
My SIG 229 9mm has 15 shot magazines making it 15+1. In fact, I own eight 15-shot magazines for it. You may want to double check where you got the 13 information.
You missed some points he made. He's in MA so the only high-cap magazines he can get are pre-ban ones, which I'm pretty sure are all 13 rds for the P229.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 18, 2014, 11:50 PM   #21
Dragline45

Quote:
You missed some points he made. He's in MA so the only high-cap magazines he can get are pre-ban ones, which I'm pretty sure are all 13 rds for the P229.
This is correct. The 15rd mags are made by Mecgar and were not around when the ban was put into effect. The pre-ban mags I can get are 13rds. Like I said before though, this is not a deal breaker for me. Not that I would normally carry my Beretta, but I have 15rd mags for that gun already.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:46 AM   #22
Noreaster

Don't carry pre ban mags in a new gun. Mass Officers are not taught to look at the magazines, they are given a of list serial #s and if your firearm was made after the date and has more than 10 rds you get charged with a felony. The list is right in their criminal law books (the lightweight ones they carry in cruiser bags.) The serial number list is constant and never needs update because it only list them up to a certain point and anything with a higher number is a no go.
Old February 19, 2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Jim567

My two favorite 9s.
As someone noted prior, you can safely carry a Sig in a pocket.
A law inforcement officer had an accidental discharge at a sports bar this week here in Florida.
He was reaching for change in his pocket and his Glock discharged.
Unlikely you would carry a 19 in anything but a coat pocket. Same for the Sig.
Tough choice, good luck.

No one was shot but several customers had cuts from the round fragmenting. Or so the article read.
Old February 19, 2014, 08:35 AM   #24
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The Sig P229R is my EDC. I trust my life with it, all day, everyday.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old February 19, 2014, 08:54 AM   #25
pilpens

I do not have the exact pistols you listed but I have a Sig P6 and a Glock 34 and they are similar enough. I use to CC the Sig P6 and I do not CC the Glock 34.
Both pistols you mentioned are quality pistols but my vote goes to the Glock 19 because it is simpler than the Sig.
Either one can be learned but no matter how you do it, Glock is simpler than a DA/SA+decocker.
-----------
Now, I mostly CC a Kahr which has minimal controls like a Glock: slide stop and mag release button. Sometimes, I carry my Walther P99 DA/SA. When I practice fast shots from DA then SA, my DA shot is not as accurate as the following SA shots --- again it is just practice.