The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Kel Tec KSG, Should I Buy It?
Yes, Get One 5 17.24%
Buy Something Cheaper 24 82.76%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Gunnut17

Kel-Tec KSG, Worth The Money?

The Kel-Tec KSG is a awesome shotgun, it combines the compact size of the Serbu Super Shorty(while maintaining a legal 18" barrel)and the firepower of a Saiga. But it costs three or four more times more than a normal shotgun. Is the price of this thing worth breaking the bank for?

Anyone who liked this can click one my name to the left and find my other threads.

Last edited by Gunnut17; April 22, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old April 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I am interested, for sure.

My first problem is the slow availability that always plagues KelTec, driving the market price higher. These shotguns should realistically be around 600-650 maybe.

I see that you CAN manager to get your hands on them... but you're going to pay anywhere from 800-1200 for it.... I'm not interested at that price.

14-rounds in 2 magazine tubes in such a short package is definitely interesting. I like the idea of 2 tubes, so you could run 2 different kinds of ammo... or... just a ton of the same thing.

My second problem is that it's KelTec... I'm not anti KelTec or anything... but I know that my Mossberg 590A1 is very well proven. It's rugged, reliable, and it works. Can't argue with 8 rounds either... but 14 would sure be a nice addition.

I guess... I'd really like to see one in person and run it through its paces... but if you can get it for a decent price, go for it.
Old April 22, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Gunnut17

Mossbergs are rugged and durable, but, supposing I didn't get the KSG, the Remington 870 is more available, and I haven't seen any hi- capacity mossbergs in my local gun shop. Though believe me, If I see a KSG, I'll Probably Do Anything To try it out.
Old April 22, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Yep, I hear ya there. I searched for weeks to find my 20" 590A1. No one online had them... Couldn't find them anywhere...

One day I went by my local range and they had one sitting on the wall. Amazed, I asked how many they had - they had 2 in stock. I bought one and my best friend bought the other.

The standard 590 seemed easier to find though. The 590SP 20"/8rd is around 390 from Bud's I think.

Of course, you can't go wrong with the Remy 870 either. Mossberg is just my preference.

Post up some pics when you figure out what you want!
Old April 22, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Gunnut17

Trust me, If I find the KSG, I'm posting plenty of pictures, as soon as i learn to download pictures to my computer.
Old April 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
FrosSsT

From the research I have done I would not buy a KSG. There have been numerous reported problems with the current batch sent out from Kel-Tec. IF you could find one your going to be spending about $1500-$1800 which is way to overpriced for anything with the name "Kel-Tec" on the side IMO (Not saying their guns are of poor quality - just saying I would not spend over $1500 for one.) Why not wait a while for the price to come down and the company to work out the kinks in the design?
Old April 23, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
microman

Price is kind of steep, you can get a whole lot of nice
shotguns for a lot less.
Old April 23, 2012, 11:54 AM   #8
PJR

Don't buy another gun because it's cheaper. But it because it's reliable, proven and dependable particularly if you intend to use it for more serious activity than the range.

What would you rather have in that price range if you hide depended on it? A Kel Tec KSG or a Benelli M4?
Old April 23, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Gunnut17

Probably the kel-tec, simply because it's shorter, holds more rounds, and is going to be more reliable than a semi-auto
Old April 23, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Technosavant

I can't possibly see how the KSG is worth its price... not right now.

Sure, it's maneuverable and holds more ammo than the regular 870, but for that price you can get TWO 870s (or Mossberg 500s). Two guns beats one.

As for reliability, I'd not be sticking my neck out right now and saying it's more reliable than semiautos. There's several well designed semiautos that are VERY reliable, and they're all readily available. The KSG thus far does NOT had a good rep for being reliable out of the box. Furthermore, Kel-Tec's rep for getting their recent designs right on the first go is very poor. Just because it's a pump doesn't mean it's reliable- that funky design is different enough that it is apparently giving them issues.

For $500-600, sure, on down the road I might consider one. IF they get it working right. But at $800+ for iffy reliability, I'd give it a miss every single time.
Old April 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Gunnut17

One advantage to the pump is the ability to cycle low-recoil/less than lethal rounds without the problems most semi-autos would have, even the benelli shotguns can't cycle those properly, thats why they invented the benneli m3, its a good gun for breachers
Old April 23, 2012, 12:30 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
and is going to be more reliable than a semi-auto
not hardly, several rants on the web about jamming, etc.

Unless you are SWAT, where would you be using less than lethal rounds? Or worrying about breaching doors?

My Beretta A400 cycles all low-recoil target loads, including my 3/4oz loads.

Last edited by oneounceload; April 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: stupid typos
Old April 23, 2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Gunnut17

I don't know, less chance of killing someone and worrying about a lawsuit, I didn't say that anyone would use them for HD, just that the pump action is generally better for less-lethal rounds, unless you consider the shotgun that beretta made for just that, but the main focus of the shotgun they made is to be able to hit a perpetrator from long range or short range without casualties/underpowered shots.
Old April 23, 2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Gunnut17

Just to be clear, I mean a military shotgun
Old April 23, 2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Technosavant

Quote:
I don't know, less chance of killing someone and worrying about a lawsuit,
If you're employing a shotgun, you have the chance for a lawsuit no matter what it's loaded with. Shotguns are considered deadly force, and loading it with beanbags or whatever else won't change that. If you're not justified in shooting with a 00 buck load, you're not justified in shooting with a beanbag. Since justification usually consists of having a clear and present threat to you or a loved one, why on earth would you want anything but that which is proven and effective at stopping threats?

If there is indeed that clear and present threat, there's not going to be that much worry about a lawsuit- sure, somebody can sue, but they'd be hard pressed to do anything but harass you with it.

I'd sooner take most any competent design out there over the KSG right now. The actual owners' reports (what few there have been) are hardly complimentary. The gun itself is interesting and the one I handled felt like a neat package, but at the rate K-T has managed to get product out the door (and then get the designs working right), I wonder if that phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range will be available first.
Old April 23, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
FrosSsT

Quote:
What would you rather have in that price range if you hide depended on it? A Kel Tec KSG or a Benelli M4?
Quote:
Probably the kel-tec, simply because it's shorter, holds more rounds, and is going to be more reliable than a semi-auto

I was just about to say who in the world would pick a KSG over the Benelli M4...then I read his reply...

The Benelli M4 is a proven combat shotgun in the USMC and various LE agencies. It is also one of the top and most reliable semi automatic shotguns in the world with its recommended loads.

The KSG is a great weapon in video games.
Old April 23, 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Gunnut17

But can the benelli cycle low-recoil shells? I would use those so I don't mess up my shoulder shooting from a awkward position.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Uncle Malice

Quote:
But can the benelli cycle low-recoil shells? I would use those so I don't mess up my shoulder shooting from a awkward position.
Sounds like you just want to go with an 870/500/590 for the time being. Give the KSG a couple of years to get to market and be tested. You KNOW the 870 is going to work properly... Why not get something cheap to hold you over?
Old April 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Anthony66

NO!
Old April 24, 2012, 06:39 AM   #20
PJR

If you need less lethal rounds then the Remington 870 has over 50 years of proven performance at a far better price than the KSG.

Quote:
The KSG is a great weapon in video games.
X2. And it will stay that way until it gets out in circulation and is proven to match the reliability of everything else on the market. Nothing wrong with having one as a range toy but for anything more serious the KSG still has a long way to go.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Hansam

For the money I'll stick with a proven gun rather than a new design that may or may not work as intended.

If you really want the KSG I'd suggest waiting for a second generation or even a third... besides at this point even finding a KSG is going to prove to be a difficult task.

The Benelli M4, Mossberg 500 or 590 and Remington 870 are all proven shotguns used by military and LE. Stick with those and save a bit of money for accesories and ammo.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:35 AM   #22
EdInk

A good old 870 is all you need. 14 rounds on a shot gun is heavy and the KSG is hardly available. Plus it overpriced right now from all the mall ninjas that want one.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Lee Lapin

It's not worth it to me right now, certainly not with the reviews I've seen. Get a standard riot gun of your choice and learn how to load it rapidly on the fly. No matter how large the magazine or how many of them there are, they eventually run out. So you still need to practice loadin' it.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.