The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2002, 10:41 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Coyote Hunting: A Different Way

For those with larger billfolds and a taste for a more formal lifestyle:

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ou...equestid=99886

I find it interesting that at least one thing is properly done in California.

I also find it interesting that there so many groups engaged in this activity--and that the PETA people have not essayed a national campaign against these folks' pleasures.

, Art
Old February 7, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Kirk Keller

Interesting Article

I find it amusing that if you're wealthy and drink tequila from a hip flask, it's ok to do so while handling loaded firearms from horseback. Heck, they make drinking and hunting sound downright sexy!

I will always believe that drinking and guns do NOT mix.
Old February 7, 2002, 06:27 PM   #3
JasonReed

Actually the article says that they observe English foxhunting etiquette, and in English foxhunting the hounds make the kill.

Not saying they might not be carrying guns anyway, but in theory they aren't shooting the 'yotes.
Old February 7, 2002, 11:32 PM   #4
Zorro

SO?

A southern "Coon" hunt on horseback!

Substitute "Coon" for Coyote, and "Moonshine" for Tequila and it is the samething!
Old February 8, 2002, 02:16 AM   #5
Salt

Looks like a lot of fun, but I am not very much of a horseman and could never hope to keep up.
Old February 8, 2002, 03:11 PM   #6
redneck

A hunt on horseback sounds like a lot of fun to me. I'm working with a mare right now that might actually prick her ears at the blast of a gun, get up and go isn't a real big part of her mindset.
I wouldn't be caught dead in the funny pants, jacket,and helmet that those guys are into though. That should have stayed in england with the sidesaddle.
Give me a roping saddle, straw hat and a carbine
Old February 8, 2002, 10:46 PM   #7
yorec

Quote:
I started off in Wyoming, where there was a lot of confusion among the locals whose land we rode over. People couldn't understand why we would want to hunt coyote with dogs. They just liked to roll down their car window and pull out a rifle."
Yep, we in wyoming have our own traditions...

Hey, wait a minute! I run a pack of dogs too and don't shoot critters out of the car window! Why, I'm so offended... Kinda sounds like just another stuck up snob who expects everyone to align themselves to his way. (Fitting for an english fox hunter, eh? ) Dont' get me wrong, I like the traditional english fox hunt, wish I had the bucks to do it, but this guy's gonna get Kaliforniaized over it eventually. PETA, Sierra club, wonderfully restrictinve laws, etc. will all see to that. Hope he and his group survive the climate down there, but if not he can beg forgiveness and try to move back to the land of the free...

Gotta love that hound music!
Old February 8, 2002, 11:39 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, tell ya what. I climbed onto my first stock saddle about 60 years ago. I've popped brush and learned the hard way why being a dally-man in mesquite country is a sign of intelligence.

Still got my old single-tree Adamek kak. Still comfortable in that old saddle.

Ever tried ridin' one of those postage-stamp saddles? It's all balance. No way to chicken out and grab the apple--there ain't no apple!

They may look funny, but there's a whole bunch of skill required to be there when the hounds get to the coyote, fox or whatever!

Just think of it as "Halloween on Horseback", even though some have called it "The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible".

, Art
Old February 9, 2002, 12:21 AM   #9
Subby

Not that I've ever hunted coyotes, let alone seen one, but a month or two back on one of the hunting shows, they had an interesting method of coyote hunting. They'd locate some coyotes w/ a howl, go into the valley they were in, and let specially trained dogs loose. The coyotes would attempt to chase/kill the dogs, but the dogs would run back towards the shooters, eventually bringing the coyotes into range. Looked like fun.

Sub
Old February 9, 2002, 12:25 AM   #10

yorec
I think you are right. It is Nevada where we like to pop coyotes out the window. Although I don't know too many people with cars. They live in the city and only shoot at each other out the window. Us civilized people drive pickups.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 9, 2002, 04:31 AM   #11
biganimal

Why would anyone let the dern dogs have all the fun of killin' the yotes???
Up here in Upstate NY we lure em in with a call and then scramble their brains with a 55 grain .22 caliber bullet.........more fun than a date with a fat girl but not as warm.....
Old February 10, 2002, 03:31 PM   #12
redneck

Nope I've never let anyone talk me into trying to ride one of them postage stamps. I consider bareback close enough to get the idea, and don't take to it either. All the riding I do is reining horses and breaking colts to saddle, maybe that has something to do with it
I did jump on a friends horse once ( wihtout switching saddles) when it was acting up for their kid. With the first buck I quickly came to the conclusion that the lack of stirrups didn't bother me at all in comparison to the 13" seat I walked a little funny after that one

I don't understand why they leave it to the dogs to kill the coyote either. The coyotes aren't necessarily healthy, and even when they're overwhelmed by a whole pack of dogs, it seems like they would get in a bite or two of their own. That and its more like the dogs are the hunters and your just a spectator trying to keep up.
Old February 10, 2002, 04:52 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I say, old chap, the English just do things differently, dontcha know?

It's sort of a variant on the old Southern thing of listening to the hounds chase a coon across country, while folks sit around a campfire and have a toddy or two for the sake of the soul.

For the English, there's the Hunt Breakfast, the ride "To the Hounds", and then the drinks and chit-chat after.

I gotta admit I prefer a .243, myself.

I guess about the closest I ever came to this sort of shenanigan was when I was a kid. I and a couple of buddies would play "Let's Pretend"; we were the Dalton or James Gangs on our way to a bank robbery. We'd ride some five or ten miles down a country road through a nearby small town and "case the bank".

Sometimes somebody's yard dog would chase after us. We'd sorta sucker him along until he was some ways from home, and then turn on him. The idea was to lean down out of the saddle at full speed, grab his tail and give HIM a good ride!

Never had a chance to try it on a coyote...

, Art
Old February 10, 2002, 05:57 PM   #14
biganimal

Dang it Art!!!
You had me laughing so hard I nearly had an accident in my chair!!!!!
Old February 11, 2002, 01:08 PM   #15
Crimper-D

They Don't Do that in my part of California

Not any more anyway... There was an organized hunt that came to a screeching halt when the fleeing coyote ran smack into a bullet from a varmint hunters stand. The hunter was following a British tradition too...he was wearing a Ghillie suit
He was less than pleased when the pack caught up to his kill and reduced it to shreds, and when the riders came pounding up he informed the huntmaster that they were about a mile inside _his_ property line and the whole lot of them were trespassing - and the Sheriff was on his way. Sombody goofed. The Deputies who showed up had a good laugh, and the local magistrate eventually let everyone go with a warning to do their crosscountry riding outside his jurisdiction in the future.