The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2015, 02:52 PM   #1
KEYBEAR

Magnum research

I bought a new MR BFR revolver in 44 Mag 5 inch barrel last month . The gun look good and look to be very well built . After shooting it the first day I found the front sight to high and It shot 6 inches low at 25 yards .

I called Magnum Research the next day and spoke to a Tech /info guy .
I was told if I bought a Millet rear sight I would have enough adjustment .
When I received the sight (from MR)I found milling necessary to install . One more call to the Tech and I sent the revolver back to MR for the work .

Yesterday I got the BFR back after close to 3 weeks and found the notch in the rear sight way to small . The front Sight is .130 wide the rear was .030 wide . No way could I see the target around the front sight .
So I look for a new sight blade and find that Millet is no longer in bizz .
No one has just the blade luckily I found a friend with parts and have it fixed ..

How could a so called gunsmith do this ? The smith sent a note saying the gun shot to point of aim now . So I know he had to see this .
Old August 14, 2015, 10:41 AM   #2
g.willikers

Different strokes for different folks.
The gunsmith was apparently happy with the results, so he figured you would be too.
I had a rear sight that was way too narrow on a new pistol.
I just widened it with a small file until it was acceptable to me.
No biggie.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above, it is up to the shooter on what they like. I put an adjustable iris aperture on my Winchester 75, which has Redfield Olympic peep sights, because I did not like what I could get from fixed apertures, as I could never find the sweet spot in the diameter I wanted. I bought directly from the manufacturer, Merit, and got just what I wanted. The owner is a really nice fellow.

Just take a needle file to each side, until you get it as wide as you want, (generally, I like just a hair of light on either side of the front sight), then touch it up with a little cold blue, and re-sight it. Also, you can usually buy new rear sights with different widths for a few dollars, though you may still not get what you really want. You would be better off, IMHO, to open it yourself.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:32 PM   #4
KEYBEAR

Dixie Gunsmithing A good friend and gunsmith had a full case of Millet sight blades . We put a little taller one on and at .130 wide it is great .

But Magnum, Research should of done that ??
Old August 14, 2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

KEYBEAR,

I would say, that after they installed the Millet rear sight, they used the blade that was all ready installed in the kit. I don't think Millet has made any new sights in a while, though they were good sights, as I installed them on High Standard Sport Kings, and made some very accurate guns out of them. They had some very good low profile designs.

My guess is, that they used a sight designed for a similar gun, which didn't match the front sight width on yours. However, that may have been as close as they could get it, for what was left of their Millet stock.
Old August 15, 2015, 06:47 AM   #6
KEYBEAR

Dixie Gunsmithing

I agree MR used what they had .
I was very lucky to find a local smith that had a bunch of new old stock parts .
I ask Magnum Research why they would use a sight no longer made on a new revolver . ( plus hard to find parts)

The thing I was most upset about was the stock sight was not right . It was very hard to adjust and the rear sight did not set in the frame like it should .

The answer from MR was less than I thought it should be . But things are fine for now and overall the gun is good .