The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
AdrianVall

Idea's for 9mm pocket carry ?

Hey guys,

So I bought my Beretta PX4 compact in hopes of carrying it IWB when my permit gets here.. but, after much consideration, I just know I'll be way more comfortable with a pocket carry set up with the way I dress. I live in south Florida, so I'm ALWAYS in cargo shorts and t-shirts. (I'll be trading in the Beretta, by the way.. only to fund the new pistol.)

Anyway, I pretty much have my mind set on getting a Ruger LC9 for pocket carry. That should conceal well enough with a pocket holster, right? Any other suggestions that I should be looking into?

I like 9mm since its a bit cheaper to get and seems to be more readily available then .380 for whatever reason. Plus, I have about 500+ of 9mm rounds at the moment so I don't want it to go to waste.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Adrian
Old November 2, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

I like the LC9 (the couple rounds I put through my wife's), but the recoil does feel a bit more snappy then my Sig P238. I told her she needs to put 100 rounds through her LC9 before trying my P238. Then, if she wants to, we can see about getting her a P238. (I got the P238 for a smokin deal after we got her LC9.)

Also, I don't know that I would consider it a "pocket carry" gun. If you truly only wear cargos then I suppose it would probably fit in the cargo pocket. But, I don't like carrying in a cargo pocket. The gun tends to turn acrobatic in there and whacks against stuff as it's looser on my body.

Unfortunately, that is the only experience I have with a 9mm in that size and I would not try pocket carrying it. It would however pretty much disappear in a IWB holster and it would probably be un-noticeable for you as well.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Creeper

If you like the Beretta, there's also the Beretta Nano 9mm. Others are the Kahr CM9, the relatively new S&W Shield and Walther PPS. There may be more, but those are the ones off the top of the noggin.
Of the 4, I've fired the Nano and the CM9. Both are comfortable to shoot, reasonably accurate and apparently quite reliable. Durability is anyone's guess as most of these guns are relatively new to the market.

C
Old November 2, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4
brigond

Look into the Ruger SR9c. It comes with 2 mags , a 10 and a 17 round. The larger mag gives you a full grip and the 10 round makes it even more compact. It falls right between the LC9 and the SR9.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
breakingcontact

Pocket carry is tough.

A small 9mm pistol gets big in your pocket, especially when you have your hand in there drawing it.

But, if you're willing to dress around it it could work.

For me to do pocket carry I have to do 380s and I don't prefer 380s, or pocket carry.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

My KAHR CM9 is small enough for pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, but in some tighter pockets with smaller openings it is a bit hard to get a reliable smooth draw. I think the KAHR is a bit smaller than the LC9, so it would probably have the same problem. I'm moved the CM9 to an IWB holster by theis for the most part.
The smallest option of course is the Rohrbaugh R9 http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/nod...yCqYCnbXGpet23 but the $1400 price tag might be a little much!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 3, 2012, 01:05 AM   #7
TennJed

Look at the sig p290
Old November 3, 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Mosin44az

To me the best 9mm pocket pistol choice right now is the Kahr CM9. It is carryable in most front pockets and is definitely smaller and/or lighter than the LC9, PF9 or the others mentioned above. Yet it is still nice to shoot, accurate, comfortable, with a nice trigger.

I am not a Kahr fan these days, they have all been finicky or worse as far as I'm concerned. But so many like the CM9 and claim it's 100% reliable that maybe it's just me.

And mine wasn't bad--8 malfs in maybe 1200 rounds, and all were either longer rounds or were fired in the weak hand. But I would rather not think at all about my defense guns, what load I have in them or how I'm holding them, or how clean or well-lubed they are....revolvers look better these days to me....that and the LCP.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Pilot

I am considering the Sig P938 with a good pocket holster. It may be a little big though.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Dashunde

The Kahr CM9 is very small, based heavily on the time-tested PM9, has a great trigger and can be had for $400 or less.

You may still want to add a little 380 though, there is a big difference between my LCP and my PM9 in my cargo pockets - I'll carry the LCP all day that way, but wont leave the house with a PM9 in there.

The LCP in a cargo pocket is the best way I've found to beat the heat... enough gun, enough comfort.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:55 AM   #11
bikerbill

My EDC for years has been a Kahr PM9, and given the temps in Texas, it's always pocket carry when it's warm ... if the price is too high, there's the new CM9, essentially the same gun minus a few features you probably don't need for a lot less money ... if you plan to pocket carry, why carry a .380 when at the cost of just a few ounces you can easily carry a 9 ... as for reliability, it has been perfect since new, never failed in any way, hundreds of rounds fired ...
Old November 3, 2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Redneckrepairs

Since no one has mentioned it , ill throw out the fact that the Kimber Solo is just about a twin to the pm/cm Kahr size . I dont have one , but have shot a friends . I found it nice , but not nice enough to pull me off my Kahr pm pistols .
Old November 3, 2012, 08:38 AM   #13
stormin1155

For me, thickness and weight are more important considerations for pocket carry than height and length. Not many 9mms that come in at less than 1" and under a pound loaded. Ruger LX9 and Kel-Tec PF-9 are a couple options. I have a Kel-Tec P11, and it is just too heavy and bulky for pocket carry, but I carry it IWB.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Rebel9793

Even though you say you want a 9mm, a Ruger LCP .380 is a great option. A buddy of mine dresses the same way as you and has a small leather holster that the gun sits in inside his pocket and it does not print what so ever. Kind of Hard to conceal something in florida when most of us wear as little clothing as possible haha
Old November 3, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Jimtl

I have a LC9 and LCP. The LCP is very easy to pocket carry. The LC9 can be pocket carried with the right clothes. I use a Nemesis holster with the LC9 and it works well with cargo pants/shorts front or back pocket.

Both of these pistols have been perfect from day one. I have 800+ rounds through the LC9 and it is very accurate. The trigger takes a little getting used to ... Similar to a revolver.

I've been thinking about a Kahr PM9/CM9 and really like the size, but am concerned with reliability reports. I may take a chance ... I just wish Kahr offered better customer support more along the lines of Ruger and S&W. I don't think a customer should have to cover shipping costs for a defective product.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:57 AM   #16
AdrianVall

Wow! Thank you all for the great responses.

I probably should have clarified though.. I do wear cargo shorts, but have intentions on carrying in my front pocket.. not the cargo.

But I'm REALLY leaning towards the Sig P938. I'm really digging it. I love Hickock's review on it, although he does slightly prefer the Kahr PM9 over it. But I just love the way the Sig looks and seems to function just as well.

My local gun shop has one in stock.. I'm going to check it out today and hopefully agree on a price.

Anyone own the P938?
Old November 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
chaim

There are a number of pocketable 9mm's out there, but I don't think any are really pocket guns.

I didn't really believe my best friend who had a Kahr PM9 when he told me that it wasn't really a pocket gun.

I now have two very pocketable 9mm's and I now believe him. I have a SIG P290. At 20.5oz unloaded it is pushing the pocket carry envelope a little, but it works. It's measurements are terrific. I also have a Kel Tec PF-9 which is very light (under 18oz loaded per Kel Tec's website), incredibly narrow for a 9mm, and overall pretty small. But they aren't really pocket guns. However, the small, light and narrow design of these guns really make them perfect for tuckable IWB holsters. I have trouble picturing a mode of dress (other than shirtless) in which these guns (and the other comparably sized guns) wouldn't completely disappear with a tuckable IWB (even with the cheapest holsters).

If you want a true pocket gun, you have to go with a lightweight snub revolver or a .380 auto or smaller. While all my 9mm's are marginal for pocket carry, my Ruger LCP completely disappears. You might think it strange for me to say these 9mm autos don't work that well (though they are workable) in a pocket, but a snub revolver is terrific. The revolver is larger, thicker, and in some cases, heavier. However, the autos print in my pocket in a way, with their squared off shape, that just screams "gun". The revolvers, with the multiple rounded shapes, look more "organic" and just look like random lumps in your pocket and thus seem more like you just have a number of things in your pocket.

All that said, if you want a pocketable 9mm, that can be pocket carried on occasion, and concealed IWB perfectly, there are many good choices these days. I haven't shot my Kel Tec yet, so I can't comment first hand on the reliability, but obviously I have read enough to trust buying one. My SIG P290 has been very good thus far, and I have shot it enough to trust it on my next trip out of state (I do not have a nearly impossible to obtain MD CCW permit, only a UT non-resident permit). It has had no issues, though I actually like the trigger on my Kel Tec better. My friend's PM9 was flawless (I personally shot about 500 rounds through his gun, no idea what he shot) and I would have no trouble trusting my life to a PM9 or CM9. I love my LCP enough that I have been considering buying a Ruger SR9c, SR40c, or an LC9. There are a number of other good options out there, though I have no experience with them so I probably shouldn't comment beyond saying that based upon what I've read, I am strongly considering, or have seriously considered: the S&W M&P Compact (and Shield), the Beretta Nano, the CZ RAMI (though I don't think it would really fit in a pocket all that well), and my experience with my Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro (a bit wide to work in a pocket) has had me considering some of their smaller (and pocketable) options from time to time. When the SIG 938 is finally approved for sale in MD I will probably consider adding one as well.

There are a lot of good options out there, so long as you are not looking for a true pocket gun and are willing to live with the limitations of the various 9mm pistols when it comes to pocket carry.

Last edited by chaim; November 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
nate45

If you are a medium to large and beyond size man, you should be able to front pocket carry a PM9 size 9 mm.
You may need to buy a few pairs of new pants with more voluminous pockets though.

I have some pants and shorts that my PM9 won't conceal in the front pocket of, so I know. I use a DeSantis Nemesis when I do carry in in my front pocket of pants and shorts and in the pockets of coats, bibs and coveralls. I've tried carrying it in a pair of pants, that in my opinion, offer the least acceptable concealment of the ones I own and I wore them around people trained to notice concealed weapons. If any of them noticed, they didn't let on.

However, as others have noted, a PM9 is in no way as easy to carry as a Ruger LCP, P3AT, etc in a pocket. Thats the trade off for having a cartridge(9mm Parabellum) that is roughly twice as powerful as .380 ACP.

Old November 3, 2012, 02:25 PM   #19
PH/CIB

Have carried a number of handguns both revolver and semi auto for pocket carry, up to a Glock 26, with a handkerchief tucked underneath the trigger guard of the pocket holster it looks like a small paperback novel in my front pocket,,,I could have been made once or many times,,,but no one has ever asked me if I was carrying a gun,,,after years of concealed carry by pocket carry and other methods, such as with a special holster in the cargo pocket itself.

Except for the Smith and Wesson 638 snub nosed revolver I have never found a small semi auto handgun except the Glock 26 to meet my reliability requirements, this after trying the Seecamp 32 auto, the Kel Tec PF9, the Kahr Pm40 for example.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old November 3, 2012, 10:42 PM   #20
Aristides

Sig P938...Go For It!

I have the Sig P938. I carry it all the time in the front pocket of my jeans or my business slacks, along with my PX4 Compact which goes IWB with a belly band.

I think both of these guns are great!
Old November 3, 2012, 11:39 PM   #21
wayneinFL

Pocket carry mostly depends on the size of the pocket, and the opening of the pocket. I have some pants that you could barely carry a LCP or 3AT ad draw it smoothly. I have others that I've pocket carried a p7. If I;m pocket carrying a 9mm, usually it's a Kel-tec P11.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:50 AM   #22
bamiller

I pocket carry a holstered Sig P938 in pleated front dress pants or relaxed fit jeans quite regularly and am very happy with it. Great shooter once broke in.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Kreyzhorse

While some guys can do it, I don't really consider any compact 9mm a pocket gun. If you really want a pocket gun, a small .380 like the Ruger LCP fits the bill pretty well.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Erikbal

I see someone recommended the Ruger SR9C. While I own this gun and it has been flawless and I love it, to me it's not a "pocket" gun. Reason being is I also have a S&W Bodyguard 380 that is much smaller. I edc the 380 and really just use the SR9C for shooting and home defense. My 380 has also been flawless as well and in my opinion loaded with HP's is just fine for self defense. I carry it in my front pocket, or in an IWB holster when clothing allows. Either way, wherever I legally can carry it I do!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 4, 2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Hal

@ Nate45,,,,
Toss in a means to make fire & you've got the whole enchilada!

Nicely done!