The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 5, 2012, 07:32 PM   #1
603Country

I'm considering a Timney Trigger

I'm either going to get a gunsmith to smooth up my Ruger Hawkeye trigger or I'm going to install a Timney trigger myself (at least that's the plan). Supposedly the Timney will attach to existing screw holes and no metalwork is required at all. But from you guys in the real world, how easy or tough is it to install the Timney? If you have one are you happy with it?
Old July 5, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Only seen one Timney installed, on a Rem 700. Cake, literal bolt in.

Did a Jard on my Ruger M77. Also cake. Bolt it in and make the adjustments according to instructions.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
zoomie

I can't speak to your Ruger, but I put a Timney in my 700. Simple. Couple pins, then a little tweaking to set the bolt release (includes instructions on how to bend what how much). The only thing I don't love about the Timney is the width of the trigger shoe. It's wider than most, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4
hoghunting

I've put Timneys on most of my rifles and all were bolt-in and easy adjustments. You may have to file or sand the inside of the stock to get clearance for the Timney, but it is very simple and only takes a few minutes.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:46 AM   #5
hooligan1

Ditto, it's pretty simple man, I have put one on a Vanguard and a Zastava Mauser. Had stock work with the mauser,(very little) but the Vanguard was literally bolt on and adjust.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
rbernie

I have heard said that the Ruger swing safety will need some fitting (small filing) to the Timney. I've never tried installing one in my MkIIs myself, so take that with a grain of salt.

Why not call Timney and ask them? They can be reached at: 866-484-6639

Here's a link to their installation instructions:

http://www.timneytriggers.com/Instal...ns/MK%20II.pdf

Last edited by rbernie; July 6, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #7
603Country

Thanks fellows!
Old July 7, 2012, 12:28 AM   #8
myshoulderissore

I put a Timney in my Savage 111, and it was like going from my 870s stock trigger (gritty heavy crap shotgun trigger) to my snubbies single action pull. I don't think I'll every have another rifle without an aftermarket trigger, it is amazing.

I don't know about the Ruger version, but mine I adjusted sear engagement to BARELY hold it, adjusted the pull weight down to (insert below safe here) then bumped it back up a smidge, then adjusted overtravel. The instructions are on a little teenie paper, really my only complaint, but it's easy enough. When I was done, I slammed it around for a while, safety on, safety on/bolt free, and safety off, and found IF I slammed it pretty damn hard, and IF the safety was off, and IF it impacted toward the top of the buttplate, it would go off. I fixed it by allowing more overtravel, not much, but some. I ended up with a very light trigger, crisp and lovely, and I can fire between heartbeats without any effort, I just think about it and the round goes.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:46 AM   #9
tahoe2

timney

I have two; one in a Yugo mauser and one in a Spanish 93 mauser, both sporters, 10 minute installs.
I lucked out on both, no adjustments, safeties work, and trigger pull is lighter, & smooth with no creep, and cut my 3"-6" groups in half !
I am totally satisfied, I need to get two more for my others.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
The only thing I don't love about the Timney is the width of the trigger shoe. It's wider than most, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Funny you should say that. The only thing I don't like about the one on 700 is it isn't as wide as the original and doesn't have serrations. Different strokes!
Old July 9, 2012, 12:06 AM   #11
sc928porsche

I have installed them on mausers, ariskas, and even the mosin. Very little if any fitting has to be done with the exception of some wood work on those with the safety. I did run into one mauser that had to have the trigger slot opened slightly, but the trigger on it was quite narrow.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Bwbraven

Contemplating on changing triggers on my vanguard and rem 700 adl what's y'alls suggestions?
Old July 26, 2012, 05:54 AM   #13
impalacustom

Bwbraven, for the ADL, go with a Jewell, best customer support in the business, and the Weatherby, I don't think Jewell makes anything for a Howa action, not 100% sure.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:00 AM   #14
Bwbraven

What makes Jewell better than timney or rifle basix? Never messed much with the custom triggers so any info is helpful thanks.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:27 PM   #15
math teacher

I have replaced a number of triggers with Timney or Rifle Basix and have been 100% satisfied with both, so for me the additional cost of a Jewell is a waste of money. Perhaps if I were a bench rest shooter who can shoot between heart beats, I would see the extra value. It is a matter of personal choice.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:31 AM   #16
tahoe2

two Timneys

two mausers, a Yugo M24/47 & a Spanish M1893, 1916 pattern.
I got lucky, both went in without a hitch, and they work great.
reduced my groups about 30%. Great triggers, love em!
Old August 5, 2012, 10:12 AM   #17
603Country

I have the Timney trigger and will install it this coming week. I've loaded up a bunch of ammo, and I'll just see if it improves my grouping. There's really nothing wrong with the Ruger trigger. It breaks cleanly at around 2 pounds, but it doesn't have the smooth feel of my favorite rifles that have all been tuned up by gunsmiths. If I didn't have those other rifles, I probably would not have complained about this one's trigger. This Ruger Hawkeye is one great shooting rifle already. This trigger replacement really isn't necessary, but hey...
Old August 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Clark

After hearing the words "Timney Trigger" for 15 years, I bought one this year.
I am very happy with it.
I made a pic showing how to adjust it [I had to figure this out, because it does not come with adjustment instructions]:
Pic of my Timney Trigger adjust
I also made a video of me pulling the trigger, operating the safety, and measuring trigger pull force before adjustment:
Video of my Timney trigger .. only 26 seconds long
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #19
603Country

Thanks much. I had assumed that it came with good instructions, and I was even going to read them.
Old August 6, 2012, 01:58 PM   #20
wyop

re: A Jewell vs. a Timney.

Some models of Jewell triggers are designed to be adjusted to much lower trigger pull weights than a Timney - like ounces, not pounds.

I don't like to adjust a Timney to less than 3 pounds.

http://greatscottshooters.com/trigger.htm
Old August 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #21
math teacher

There are Timney target triggers that adjust to ounces. Such triggers are not suitable for big game hunting where you may find yourself shooting with gloves on. I have my Timney triggers set closer to 2 1/2 pounds, but that is as low as I would go for safety reasons. For highly competitive target shooting, Jewell may well be the way to go.
Old August 6, 2012, 04:56 PM   #22
langenc

My Ruger 77 had about a 6# trigger, at least.

The Timney is less than 1/2 of that. It bolts on and some filing is req to make the safety work. Go very slowly when doing the filing. Check often to see when it just clears. You will understand when doing it.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:33 PM   #23
603Country

The Timney trigger is installed. It took a bit of work to get the Safety Tab on the trigger filed to just the right amount and I had to do some metal removal on the stock (Hogue Overmoulded, with the aluminum bedding channel) to get the action to drop in, but all went well. Other than the metal removal, it was really easy, though it wasn't as fast a process as I had expected - due entirely to the filing I had to do. Naturally, I had to shoot it and I did, and the POI hadn't changed at all from removing and reinstalling the action into the stock. The trigger feels great. I'd like to say that I put 20 bullets into one tiny hole, but that didn't happen. Still, it shot pretty darn well, as usual. It'll take a while before I can tell if the better trigger helps my shooting.
Old August 11, 2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Clark

Here are two drawings I made of relief cuts for the Timney trigger to fit in a Mosin Nagant.

One is for the cuts in the wood of the stock.
One is for the cuts in the metal of the rear pillar that I glassed into the stock.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?