The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Would you buy your first shotgun at a gun show?

I'm thinking of going to my first gun show to pick up my first shotgun. As indicated in another thread, I"m looking for a Beretta or Benelli semi-auto. I'll likely be buying pre-owned.

With that little bit of knowledge, would you consider buying at a gun show, or would you try to buy face to face from a private seller?
Old June 20, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Eghad

The first thing I would do is research prices on those shotguns. At least try some haggling with the vendors. If its a slow day at the show you might get a good price.

I would also check out prices at local shops.

I prefer to buy from a local shop who is competitve on thier prices because this shop stands behind what it sells and will assist me If I have problems with a gun purchased from them.

NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2011, 10:30 PM   #3
C0untZer0

Ya I might, but I wouldn't buy a Benelli, I'd buy a Mossberg 930 SPX.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

In a word, no.

Not unless I had someone along who knew the design I was looking at very well and who could evaluate specific examples to be sure they were fully functional and priced reasonably. I'd make sure to get the seller's contact information in case there was an undiscovered problem as well, and find out what the terms of the sale were before making the deal. Some local dealers set up at gun shows, I'd look to them before talking to private sellers.

If I were on my own, I'd go looking at a reliable local gun shop rather than making a deal with a stranger at a gun show - even if I had to pay more for the make/model I was looking for.

jmho, ymmv-

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:11 PM   #5
the rifleer

If i could save some money and it looked to be well taken care of, yes i would. I have only bought one gun at a gun show, but like anything, there are good honest sellers and then there are those that just want money.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Why not? Keep in mind you will probably never see the dealer again. You must know what you are doing. And, like others have mentioned, know your prices. If it is not a bargain, why bother?
I bought my 870 at a gun show with a trade, got a good deal and years later it is still in use with no complaints.
OTOH, I once bought a Marlin lever gun from a local dealer and it never worked right.
Buyer beware.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Slugo

it depends what you want it for. Myself, an auto or pump for hunting, but a higher quality O/U for targets. For HD, I suggest a good quality 357 magnum!!
Old June 21, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Technosavant

If I knew exactly what I was shopping for and the appropriate values, sure. If I was just looking for something, probably not.

Given the gun shows around here, probably not- the STL area has pretty pathetic gun shows; I wouldn't expect to find a good used shotgun like that there. If you know folks associated with a shotgun club, you might have better luck; most clubs will have some kind of "for sale" bulletin board, so you can pick up a gently used and well cared for gun for a good price.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Pahoo

Technosavant + 1,

Quote:
If I knew exactly what I was shopping for and the appropriate values, sure.
I guess I'm not really sure what your concerns might be. If it's about getting burned with a bad gun, it happens but not too often. Another point is to "try" and work with a dealer that you or someone you know, is familiar with. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Slugo

sorry, I misread your post!

I've been finding some super deals on good pre-owned guns at legitimate gun shops. The economy has driven prices to all time lows. I just like dealing with reputable shops, but that's me...
Old June 21, 2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Mudinyeri

I generally avoid gun shows so ... no.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
BigJimP

Sure, why not - providing you know what you're looking at.

A lot of the dealers / tables at the shows are knowledgeable folks - and know what they have / what its worth - and are looking to sell. But almost 100% of the time, when you're looking at a used gun the sale is "as is" - and whether its from a show or a bricks and mortar retailer ...doesn't really matter.

Gun Shows are not necessarily less expensive than local retail shops dealing in used guns ...and every used gun shop is different / and so are sellers at the shows. Some shops clean and inspect guns prior to sale - many don't / some guys at shows clean and make sure guns are in great shape / some are just flipping and reselling inventory and don't clean or do anything ...

If you're expecting to save money by going to a gunshow ....you're probably in for a shock. Many of us / if we have high quality guns to sell / will put them on consignment at a shop we trust or sell them privately. I like going to gun shows / but I'd never rent a table to sell stuff / especially a higher end gun where 99% of the guys are just lookers and fondlers ...vs buyers ...
Old June 21, 2011, 10:32 AM   #13
BigJimP

Have you narrowed your search down to 1 or 2 models - from Benelli and Beretta line up of guns ?
Old June 21, 2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Deerhunter

Well depending on what gun show you go to good luck. Well unless your looking for tacticool. I was at the Nations Gun Show a few months back and they only had a couple of shotguns that weren't all tricked out for home defense. Almost all of them had extended tubes.

Nothing wrong with going to a gun show, there are lots of dealers that have new stuff. Worth a look though
Old June 21, 2011, 11:07 AM   #15
oneounceload

If you know how to strip the gun to check for potential problems and know the models in question - why not? I have bought everything from pre-war Belgian doubles to NIB SKB O/U at gun shows - but I had done my homework and knew what I was looking at
Old June 21, 2011, 11:16 AM   #16
aarondhgraham

I have never bought anything new at a gun show,,,

I have purchased a few new accessories and used guns, yes,,,
But I've never seen a real bargain on a new gun of any type at a gun show.

I know several dealers who set up tables at gun shows,,,
Each of them admits to pricing at MSRP or above.

One can still find that occasional "deal" at a gun show,,,
As a matter of course though, it's not the venue for bargains on new guns.

Gun shows are more for a pleasant afternoon sniffing Hoppes and gun oil,,,
And occasionally finding that rarity you have been looking for.

My main reason though is not because of non-competative prices,,,
It's because I want a brick and mortar store I can go back to if the gun is a lemon.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 21, 2011, 11:50 AM   #17
BigJimP

I have purchased both new and used shotguns and handguns at gunshows...and been very happy / but I really make sure I know what I'm buying and am intimately familiar with the make and model that I'm buying...
Old June 21, 2011, 12:40 PM   #18
TxGun

Sure. I buy guns all the time at gunshows. In fact, I've gotten some fantastic deals over the years at various shows. You just have to know what you're doing in terms of condition, prices, etc.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:20 PM   #19
rhinonewshooter

So far this sounds like a mixed bag. I may end up going just to have a chance to see a number of shotguns in one location.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:42 AM   #20
booker_t

Go and take a look.

What I look for first is the wear pattern on the boltface. If it doesn't have a ring pattern, it likely hasn't been shot much and is likely in very good condition.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:56 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is the order I research for this...
I start in general. Once brand is chosen I research their offerings. Find the exact model number for the gun configured the way I want.

Then during price research, I will look the gun up at a place like buds guns.

With their price I allow my local gun shops to bid on the deal. If I can get a quote within $25-40 of Bud's (FFL transfer fee I pay if I buy from buds) I go with which ever local shop has the best customer service (on this transaction) for the price.

So far I have never had to buy online and sure hope I don't have to... As for a gun show, I would want more experience with a gun platform before placing myself at the mercy of sellers who could care less about me than a typical mid eastern flea market vendor...

I can always go kick in the local guy's door or slam it shut behind me as I leave if he wrongs me... not always the case with a show dealer...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; June 24, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:04 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
So far this sounds like a mixed bag. I may end up going just to have a chance to see a number of shotguns in one location.
And this is a good idea for sure!

Also, Get names and numbers of dealers who may have what you want still in hand after the show.

You can research what you see there and then take an experienced buddy to look at it after you decide it was a good deal.

Brent
Old June 24, 2011, 10:47 AM   #23
rhinonewshooter

I have a buddy who shoots who will be going with me. He is actually looking for a gas semi-auto as well, so it should be interesting. I just hope I see more than HD shotguns.