The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2015, 11:01 AM   #26
DA/SA Fan

I'm going on about 3500 rounds of 124 and 147 grain Underwood +P+ through my alloy framed TriStar T-120. I did put a 20 lb. recoil spring in it but I gotta believe that claims of reduced service life in pistols that shoot hot ammo are at very least, exaggerated. Also recently got a SAR K2 in .45. If it handles .45 super with the Sprinco recoil reducer and 18 lb. spring in it, I will be running occasional super rounds and lots and lots of +P through it. I just like heavy and fast bullets.
Old October 3, 2015, 05:11 AM   #27
David R

They were taking 308 brass and cutting it down to 45 length b(.898) for a stronger case. Hot loads out if the book are plenty for me.

David
Old October 3, 2015, 08:53 AM   #28
L-2

I'm a bit late to this question. Otherwise, I've no particular opinion and have carried & shot with standard and +P versions of 9mm and .45ACP.

Here's a link to the results of another study by a person/persons much more knowledge than I am:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo

At one time, I was swayed more by the absolute energy results of a particular ammo. I'm not too swayed toward energy today. As already mentioned, there are several non-+P versions of ammo (same brand, model, & weight) still meeting desired expansion & penetration amounts, without as much recoil, blast, or possible-wear-on-firearm.

As a side-note, these results may also pertain to choosing between the 9mm vs. .357SIG caliber debate.

When buying my own carry ammo, I'll typically choose something recommended from the referenced link, whether +P or not. At a given moment of buying/ordering, I may just choose a brand-name I like and not all versions are readily available from where I shop.
Old October 4, 2015, 08:10 PM   #29
cougar gt-e

I see the + as just marketing hype. Shopping specs, you find some + ammo yielding SLOWER velocity than some identical weight standard velocity ammo.

Much of the + stuff also gives more flash and flinch inducing recoil/blast. Not enough gain to justify it.
Old October 5, 2015, 11:29 PM   #30
RsqVet

Not a fan of +p ammo. Too much wear on the gun most os the time and is generally not needed as the conventional loadings do the job. Exceptions being 9mm 1911 or other gusn with upgraded springs or subguns.

I agree that the 9mm +p and +p+ ammo came about at a time when there were questions legit or not as to the 9mm's ability to "stop" and everyone was looking for the magic round.