The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
TXGunNut

45 Colt Boolit Lube Options

On a whim I loaded some nice boolits for my .45 Colt last weekend for plinking and quite possibly hunting, velocity probably 1100 fps or less, likely closer to 950. Used WW's and a Lyman 452424 double cavity mould. Forgot to order a sizing die for my Lyman LS but have one in .459 for my rifle boolits. Bullets dropped @ .452-.453 so they don't need sizing. Did remember to order the punch, tho. LS currently full of SPG.
Here's the question(s): do I get some Alox and pan lube them? Do I change out the punch and use the .459 die to apply SPG lube? Do I get the right die and use it? Or should I change out the die and the lube? Or some other method? I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S. and a bit of a tightwad, BTW.
I think Alox will cost less per bullet but I could be wrong about that. I will likely load Unique but can't rule out BP. Been going thru lots of powder lately so will go by Cabelas for powder and can snag some Alox too.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
jmortimer

I like the alox or better yet $$$ wise the generic white label "alox" or Xlox
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

Last edited by jmortimer; September 4, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:34 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Wow! If Alox works for me this Xlox will save quite a bit of $$ if I get into casting more pistol bullets. I don't begrudge Lee a fair profit, though. I like their products, as a rule.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
salvadore

I'm told that Darr's lube of 50/50 vaseline to parafin is pretty much SPG lube. I pan lube some cast bullets I don't wanna size by putting the bullets in a flat bottomed aluminum pan and pour the melted lube to cover the grease grooves, throw em in the freezer, take em out let em warm enough to push out with your fingers. Lube usually stays in the grooves. fill the empty holes up with new bullets, heat in in oven to melt lube <300deg. and repeat.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:55 AM   #5
TXGunNut

I met Garbe and Venturino in Raton several (OK, more like 15) years back and they hinted that the lube is a very simple recipe. I wasn't interested in BPCR's @ the time but I enjoyed watching the matches and looking at the rifles.
Old September 6, 2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Pathfinder45

Oh, you're over here too!

I pan lube my cast bullets, [Lee 255 grain RNFP for .45 Colt], using the cheapest melted sealing wax rings that you can get at any hardware store. You know, those wax rings for sealing toilet bowls. It's soft, sticky wax and works well for BP as well as smokeless powder. It is pretty sticky, goey and messy. So you might prefer a drier hard lube, but you did mention BP. I never size my bullets as they come out of the mold the right size already. I cut them out of the solidified lube cookie-cutter style with a fired expanded case with the primer pocket drilled out and an Allen wrench to push the bullets out. Very low-tech, self-sufficient method. There are lots of good powders for the .45 Colt and yet, after all these years, Unique is still one of the best. I consider it the standard to judge the others by in this caliber. I also use Titegroup, HS-7, and AA-9. I've had very good results with W-231/HP-38 but no longer stock them. Just too many good choices......
Old September 12, 2010, 09:17 AM   #7
TXGunNut

Actually casting is a new passion of mine and I read most every post over here, Pathfinder45. Hope that's OK. Generally don't have much to add but sometimes I need a bit of help. Loading for a BPCR is what brought me to this forum but I have a few other projects going on now.