The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 2, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

.44 Magnum Recoil

I am putting together my wish list for the upcoming year and I think I would like to pick up my first .44 Magnum S&W. I'll probably shoot mostly .44 Special and do my own reloading. My question is this: Is there a big difference between the recoil shooting a 4" and a 6" barrel with .44 Magnum loads? I prefer 4" guns but considering the potential recoil, I'm not sure if I wouldn't do better with 6". If there is a marginal difference, I'll go with the 4". I'm just fine with a 4" .357, how much more kick does .44 have? I have never fired one.
Old January 2, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Buckeye!

Muzzel flash & Blast is the Diff. in 6in. and 4 in. and the 44 Mag.
I don't ever use full house loads in a 44mag. in my handguns or Lever,
I'm a big fan of 44 Spl. ,but I like 44 spl. in a 44 Spl. revolver .. no use having excess wgt. of the 44 mag DA if your gonna shoot 44Spl. and a 44 Spl. you don't need but a 2in to 4in. barrel a three in is perfect with a 44 Spl.. In a 44 mag . a 6in. barrel is your best bet with a DA
I really like those 44 Spl. though. Med frame 3in barrel..almost the perfect DA.

Mike
Old January 2, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
DMZX

Being a reloader, you should have a good deal of fun with a .44 Mag.

I would go with a 4" and develop some loads just for it.

I have a 3" N-frame and have designed some great .44 Mag loads that don't have all the blast and recoil of a commercial full house load.
Old January 2, 2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Webleymkv

The biggest factor in recoil will be the weight of the gun. I've had both a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk and a 4" S&W 629 and the Ruger recoiled a lot less because of its added weight. That being said, the 4" Smith is not at all unmanageable with the proper techinque. I'd say if you can handle a small frame .357 like a S&W M60, Taurus 605, or Ruger SP101, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with a 4" steel frame .44 Magnum
Old January 2, 2009, 12:51 PM   #5
clanger

Quote:
Is there a big difference between the recoil shooting a 4" and a 6" barrel with .44 Magnum loads?
Perceived? Not really....flip will be pronounced in both. If you want a dicernable comparo, that would be between the 4" and 8+" in as far as flip goes.

Quote:
I'm just fine with a 4" .357, how much more kick does .44 have?
A lot to some, just some to others. Depends on the recipe.

Quote:
I'll probably shoot mostly .44 Special and do my own reloading.
Then I suggest you get the .44 Sp.
The .44 Sp is a fine firearm and nothing to sneeze at. Ask Mr. Keith.

If you really want a .44 mag, and who don't , then get one and shelve the
.44 Sp. recipe and save a few for freinds that don't like recoil, if you are so inclined to share.

Part of the challenge in shooting a Magnum is you mastering it and getting comfortable w/ any applicable and recomended recipe in the reloading manual.

'Short loading' w/ a Special is nice sometimes, but doing it all the time defeats the pourpose of the larger chambering.

Rent a .44 mag revolver at your local range.
Try both the Mag and Sp in it using factory loads, see how you like it and then make an informed descision.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Wolfeye

I don't think a .44 shoots much differently than a small .357. Recoil is bigger, but it's not painful or unmanageable. You probably won't feel any effect in your hand or wrist afterwards unless you shoot dozens upon dozens of heavy magnums in one session, but I've never tried that. Like a .357, you can end up with a flinch if you're not careful.

For me, though, it's comparing apples to oranges. My .357 SP101's recoil goes mostly backwards, while my 6" model 629 experience is that it flips more. I think my SP grip allows for a higher hold.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Teuthis

The recoil from a 44 magnum is not overwhelming. It is significant but you learn how to handle it. The cartridge itself probably works optimally in longer barrels. But I've shot the four in barrels with no problems, as have many others. I like a six inch barrel for the field in a double action revolver. You get an accurate sight picture and the weapon is balanced.

However, I have a five inch Super Blackhawk that is the most balanced 44 magnum I have ever shot. A single action should not be out of your picture, because you might find that you can shoot it accurately just as quickly as you can the double action. I cock the hammer on the way down from the recoil and its ready for single action fire the moment I bring it back on target. The only, truly slow function is reloading it.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Captain38

Recoil, like beauty, as they say, is in the eyes of the beholder! Some persons are very recoil sensitive while others, like myself, have no problems with the stoutest .44 Mag rounds in STEEL framed revolvers.

If you go to something like a scandium framed version, however, recoil can prove to be BRUTAL!!!
Old January 2, 2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Smaug

SwampYankee - You don't need to worry about recoil when you're rolling your own loads. Get the longer barrel for better accuracy. You're probably not talking about a carry gun, right? If you are, you should plan on getting TWO 44 Magnums. One for the range, and one for carry.

Also, make your loads in Magnum cases; then you don't have to worry about The Ring either.

I shoot probably 5-10 "Specials" for every one Magnum.

This is really the perfect caliber for the handgun reloader. You can do anything with it.

Here's some eye candy. Here's some of my home-brewed deer hunting ammo with my Redhawk. 24 gr. H110 under a Hornady 240 gr XTP bullet. New brass, even.

I loaded that ammo with my Lee Hand Press while watching View to a Kill in my recliner.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old January 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Webleymkv

Also, the grips make all the difference. My dad bought a very nice 4" M29-2 but it had rather smallish Pachmayr grips on it. With full-house Magnums it was quite a handful but replacing them with a set of Hogues made all the difference. Unlike most semi-automatics, there is absolutely no reason to put up with a revolver that doesn't fit you as replacement grips are readily available and their size and shape varies greatly.
Old January 2, 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Ozzieman

In 44 I own a 3 inch 629, a custom built 3 inch 44 sp that was made from a Smith 28, a 4 inch 24, a 4 inch 21 and a 6 inch 624.
The recoil difference shooting 44 sp in all of them (that is about all I shoot) for me the 624 has the most recoil due to all being hand loads and I use slow burning powders. It burns more in the longer gun.
The difference is very minimal and with all of them I can shoot hundreds of rounds in a session and I actually enjoy the recoil. If you have a problem, then Pachmayrs grips will make them easy to shoot, I have them on all of my N frame Smiths.
My favorite is the 4 inch 21 Thunder Ranch, it just feels best and is also one of the lightest.
But then again my friends say I’m nuts. I have a Charter Arms bulldog in 44 special and I like shooting it, a lot.
Go with a 4 inch, the balance is better and you can always carry it.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:13 PM   #12
shortwave

Someone posted"If you can handle full house 357 loads out of small framed 357 you won`t have problem with 4" 44 mag. I agree. One more point to consider, if your ever going to hunt with handgun, check your local laws as some states require certain barrel lengths to do so.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:16 PM   #13
PoliticalDookie

Gorgeous revolver Smaug.
Old January 2, 2009, 10:18 PM   #14
tbtrout

Since you reload if you want a light recoiling load look into Trail Boss. Get the 4 inch if that is what you prefer and make life easy and load 44 mag cases with the Trail Boss.
Old January 2, 2009, 11:45 PM   #15
batmann

If your new S&W has the round frame grip, go to Smith's web site and order the X frame Hogues. They will help with the recoil. I have these on my S&W 'Mountain Gun' and they really do make a huge difference.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:24 PM   #16
CraigC

Personally, longer barrels don't make for more pleasant shooting. I prefer shorter barrels and shoot them better anyway. So a 4" N-frame or 4¾" single action is near about perfect for me.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:08 PM   #17
skoro

.44 Magnum Recoil

I have a pair of 4" .357 revolvers, and their recoil is pretty tame. The only experience I've had with .44 magnum is with a pal's Super Blackhawk, which is a substantial handgun in terms of weight. The recoil in the SB wasn't bad at all. A little stiffer than the .357s, but not nearly what you might expect.

To me, the most uncomfortable handgun I've shot has been a little airweight S&W snubbie firing hot 38+P rounds. Of course, it had hard polymer grips and an exposed backstrap, so that didn't help any. Nasty recoil and muzzle flip. Felt like I was holding a handful of hornets.