The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2015, 02:17 AM   #26
NWCP

Quote:
9x18Walther: Since you can't blue or parkerize aluminum, this would make sense. It must be some other process.
Aluminum is anodized.
Old October 10, 2015, 02:20 AM   #27
NWCP

My favorite post war Walther is the P5. It's a single stack 9mm with adjustable sights and a nice trigger. I own two and bot are sweet shooting pistols. I have a post war P38 and a P1, but the P5 is by far the most accurate and best looking. JMHO
Old October 10, 2015, 08:36 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually, the alloy frames were fine for most of the civilian market. It was only when the P1's were subjected to the rigors of familiarization firing and training that the problem with the cam began to surface. Since it is unlikely that Walther or anyone else will ever revive the thoroughly obsolete P38 design, and equally unlikely that anyone with a P38 or a P1 without the upgrade will fire the gun that much, the P1 fix will probably end the upgrades.

Jim
Old October 14, 2015, 04:04 PM   #29
745SW

"My favorite post war Walther is the P5."

I very much like my P5's as well more so than any other Walther.

But the idea and implementation of using the same spring for the hammer and the heel magazine release is to me kinda dumb.

When the slide locks back on a empty mag the heel mag release is the most difficult to press.
Old October 14, 2015, 04:22 PM   #30
9x18_Walther

The Dutch police were supposedly using the P5 until a few years ago.
Old October 15, 2015, 09:54 AM   #31
salvadore

Just curious, has anyone else owned a P-4 Walther?
Old October 15, 2015, 02:16 PM   #32
Bart Noir

The P4. I think I saw one 10 years back, at a gunshow here in Washington State

It is a short barreled P1, with a decock-only lever in place of the slide safety, automatic firing pin block, and no loaded chamber indicator.

Bart Noir
Old October 15, 2015, 07:40 PM   #33
Dfariswheel

Just curious, has anyone else owned a P-4 Walther?

I bought two that were probably new in the box in the late 1980's when the police surplus guns were sold.
They came in a new Walther box with a used holster.

The P4 was a "stop gap" design done by Walther to give the German police a better gun then the P-38, until they could get their new P88 design finished.

What they did was modify the P-38 slide to eliminate the top cover and loaded chamber indicator pin.
The hammer had a hole in the face that fit over the firing pin so it could not contact the firing pin until the trigger was pulled, which lifted the firing pin up where the hammer could strike it.
The safety was simply fitted with a spring that snapped it back up when pushed down. This served as as a decocker.

The P4 was a measurably better gun then the P-38, eliminating the top cover loss problem and any risk of firing when the safety was applied and the hammer dropped.

Wish I had kept at least one of them.