The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Gossettc68

Wife's first kill

So last year I finally convinced my wife to come hunting with me, she loves shooting...just the hunting part did not appeal...or so she thought.

So we are driving to a location we've been scouting everyday for the past week and we are about 5 minutes away when a doe comes bounding across the road in front of us..I write if off and keep going and my wife pipes up.

" Hey, if there is a female around there is probably a male, we should turn around and look. " I of course being the know-it-all superman testosterone toting ultimate hunter tell her " Naw, we need to get to our spot and setup " she tells me to at least turn around and look. So we turn the truck around and go up a fork where the doe was headed and sure enough about 30 yards deep in the brush I spot a little forky. I believe my words were " Holy ^&% chicka!, you were right, grab the rifle "

So I get out of the truck step off the road and the little guy is just sitting there staring at us. Right before I go to range I turn around to see my wife with the AK in her hand....ya, the AK. The AK with the rickety scope etc. ( When I said grab the rifle I meant the .270 ).

Before I could range it she lifts the rifle and " Bam " down goes bambi's son. Words could not describe the smile on her face as we both loaded it into the back of our truck together...getting covered in blood. She hit about mid neck and severed the verterbre ( SP ).

All hunting season long I was laughed at by all my neighbors whenever I came out to load up the truck with the AK...Well, my wife got the last laugh.

Here is a picture of her first blacktail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wifedeer.jpg (63.2 KB, 126 views)
Old August 1, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Jason_G

Tell her congrats for us.

I'm always concerned that my wife's first kill might be me! Especially when I leave my drawers on the bathroom floor.

Good on her. Do you think she's been bitten for good?

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 1, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Gossettc68

Yes I do, we are due to have a baby boy here in September and she is already trying to plot her way into the season. Unfortunately this year with a new baby we won't be doing much hunting I fear. But yeah, she's already talking about having her parents sit for morning hunts...

We'll see what happens this year.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Pahoo

Nice deer and great smile !!!

Fantastic !! Now show her how to field dress it and skin it... .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 1, 2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Gossettc68

I am still working on that, she did help quarter it out though...Was alot of fun. I am still shocked by her though, she is very feminine ya know, but at 4:00am sitting out in 20 degree weather with snow falling down on us she didn't complain not once...and I was freezing my butt off!

I'll have to post some vids of her burning down on some machine guns later. I've got one with her burning on a beltfed .50 cal. I didn't get to shoot it but watching the wife was enough for me
Old August 1, 2011, 05:53 PM   #6
BUFF

That's too cool. Congrats to both of you. Her for wanting to experience the same joy you do with hunting, and you for having a new hunting buddy.

My wife is from Kansas City and had never been hunting before I met her. The first year I took her deer hunting she killed a nice 11 point that is now hanging on the wall and she was hooked. Ever since then she has been all over Kansas and Texas with me killing everything that gets in the way. She too has been sidelined for a couple of years because of pregnacy and watching our toddler. She's itching to get back out there with me this fall.

The problem is everytime I buy some hunting gear, I got to buy 2 of everything. But it beats talking to myself in the blind all day.

And I told her she had to strip down to her bra and panties to gut her deer...you know cause it's tradition.
Old August 1, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Gossettc68

That's awesome Buff! I think the whole pregnancy/toddler deal is gonna put a hamper on things for a while, but in a few years I'll have yet another hunting buddy ( Crosses fingers here )
Old August 1, 2011, 06:41 PM   #8
BoxC

Congratulations to both you and her. My wife and I hunted together for nearly 50 years and I hope you have as many great memories as I have. Unlike your wife, my wife cried the first time she killed a deer. She had hunted birds before and said if she was going to eat venison she wanted to contribute to the "pot". After that she really enjoyed deer hunting and took some nice racks. This is a picture of her last deer just before a 120 yard shot in the neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deer Anita's3.jpg (195.5 KB, 47 views)
Old August 1, 2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Gossettc68

Now that's a nice buck, good job!
Old August 2, 2011, 03:48 PM   #10
FrontSight

100% WIN!!
Old August 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #11
JACK308

congrats to your wife! you get some good rosts out of that one.