The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1
corvairkid64

Opinions on Mossberg O/U?

Any opinions on Mossberg O/U Silver Reserve?
Old April 9, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
PetahW

I like the small frame .410 model, but the larger frames don't do anything for me.

YMMV, of course - but for the same $450, I bought myself a Turk/Stevens Gold Wing .410 for myself last Christmas, instead - mostly because I liked the Steven's blued steel receiver better than the Silver Reserve Mossy's stainless steel.

Old April 10, 2010, 08:06 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I hope you haven't bought one yet because I don't want to say anything to hurt your feelings. If you're asking because you're thinking of buying one then my comments shouldn't bother you. In a short statement, they're junk. I've seen a couple on the sporting clays range and one wouldn't fire after about the third station. Something inside broke. The other one was with a new shooter who was quite proud of it and offered (insisted actually) that everyone on the squad try it on a station. It had triggers that made you think the safety was on, it had terrible stock fit (shot very high, you could see nothing but rib), and it was all you could expect for an O/U in the $500 price range which is not much. If you haven't bought yet and you have about $500 to spend, look around for a decent used Beretta 390 or 391 and you'll be much better off. I'd say look for a used Benelli but they don't seem to be as readily available as the Beretta's used and they seem to hold a higher resale. If you've already bought the O/U, I apologize for my comments if they've offended you.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:29 AM   #4
ohen cepel

I would look hard at the CZ's. Don't know anything about the Mossbergs, but like what I have seen of the CZ's.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 10, 2010, 08:35 AM   #5
corvairkid64

Thank you all for your comments.... I haven't bought anything yet.... still looking.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:52 PM   #6
natman

Don't.

If your budget won't cover a CZ, then you would be better off with a nice pump shotgun than a Silver Reserve, Stoger or Baikal. A Browning, Franchi or Beretta would be better yet.
Old April 10, 2010, 01:40 PM   #7
oneounceload

Cheap O/U's are not inexpensive when you factor in repairs, lost use of gun, etc.

If you're talking about using a gun for some occasional hunting, it might do fine. If you're talking about some fairly large volume target shooting, then I would pass, save up some more and get a decent Browning or Beretta of the target variety. Field guns are for light shooting and heavy walking. Target guns are built just the opposite.

Determine your priority and go accordingly. Remember, in the long run, especially target shooting, the cost of the gun is the least cost compared to the targets and ammunition.
Old April 10, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Field guns are for light shooting and heavy walking. Target guns are built just the opposite.
Well said, my friend.
Old April 10, 2010, 02:58 PM   #9
corvairkid64

Thank you all.... I've decided not to get the Mossberg and am looking for a good used gun in order to stay in my budget.... see my post regarding the Stevens 311 / Savage Fox Model B.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:14 PM   #10
ActivShootr

I had one that would fire both barrels at the same time every now and then. I got what I paid for.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:20 AM   #11
300magman

Can anyone elaborate a little as to the problem with the SR? From all the reading I've done I only see one thing mentioned..brocken firing pins (again and again) I'm wondering if this is thier only real weak point and if anyone has a solution...I could get a tougher pin made (if a replacement one isn't available) unless that would cause other issues.

I'm not much of a shooter, maybe 500 rounds a year, 1000 max and that is only if I really start getting into it more. So a cheap gun is all I really want to start with, and my local dealer has a few used, but still great looking SRs on his shelf for 375. (They go for 700 new here)
Old April 12, 2010, 12:04 PM   #12
BigJimP

Problems I hear reported:

1. firing pin issues ( maybe springs too, not sure ).
2. barrels not regulated properly - so both barrels don't have the same point of impact.
3. ribs coming loose
4. guns that "double" or fire both barrels at once..

but these issues are common on a lot of the lower end guns.

Browning and Beretta have set the bar for field grade O/U's for many years. But the problem these days is even the lower end B guns are around $1,500 new. A lot of shooters wanted O/U's .....but didn't like the entry level price ....so a lot of guns from Turkey, Russia, etc started entering the market about 5 yrs ago. Quality issues on all of them go up and down / but you might be lucky and get a good one out of the mix. The problem is you can't tell if its a good gun or not by looking at them.

The reality is :
1. under $500 - you're best served by a good pump gun
2. around $1,000 - $ 1,750 there are a number of semi-autos on the market
3. around $ 1,500 - $3,000 there are a number of O/U's

Used guns / on a budget are often a better choice -- especially if you stay with one of the B guns .....
Old April 12, 2010, 01:08 PM   #13
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Can anyone elaborate a little as to the problem with the SR? From all the reading I've done I only see one thing mentioned..brocken firing pins (again and again) I'm wondering if this is thier only real weak point and if anyone has a solution...I could get a tougher pin made (if a replacement one isn't available) unless that would cause other issues.

I'm not much of a shooter, maybe 500 rounds a year, 1000 max and that is only if I really start getting into it more. So a cheap gun is all I really want to start with, and my local dealer has a few used, but still great looking SRs on his shelf for 375. (They go for 700 new here)
There's not much to elaborate. They are poorly made, poor quality, and not reliable. If you don't mind buying a junk gun just to have an O/U then they fill the bill. One of the ones I saw on the sporting clays range was BRAND NEW and it broke before twenty rounds were fired out of it. They have terrible stock fit for anyone shooting them. They all have to little pitch and all you can see is the entire rib. Not a little too much, all the rib! They have the worst triggers I've ever seen on a shotgun. The one I fired had triggers so bad I actually thought the safety was on. I let the bird go by and had to check the safety. I haven't heard one good report from anyone on them. Some things are just poorly made and still get marketed and sold. This is one of them.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:54 PM   #14
AZwarts

Unlike most Mossbergs, the o/u 's are made in turkey and not the USA. That might have something to do with it. PLease feel free to correct me if I am wrong
Old April 13, 2010, 08:36 AM   #15
oletymer

They are junkola. Forget them and look elsewhere.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:44 AM   #16
nixterdemus

Right now you can buy a CZ Canvasback, 12/20-26"/28"-7.3/7.5/6.3/6.5 lbs, from CDNN for 500 clams + 15 bucks shipping and whatever your FFL charges for transfer.

I'm not trying to steer you away from anything.

Buds is selling them for $680 delivered to your doorstep, right now.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...p/cPath/37_588

You might want to read this post as well. Almost 8,000 rnds trouble free.

Not bad at all for an economy, entry level, Turkish wonder...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=137&t=189338

Last edited by nixterdemus; April 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 16, 2010, 05:49 PM   #17
oneounceload

The CZ and the Mossberg O/U are made in the same country, and possibly, in the same factory.

In on threads, folks have mentioned the DeHaan, also made by Huglu, as some magical Better gun.....they're not.......they're better engraved, DeHann supposedly went through them ahead of time and made things right.....BUT, they're still Turkish guns

and right now, Turkish guns, as a general rule and overall, basically suck for anything beyond light casual use. Looks don't mean squat-

lipstick on a pig does not change the fact that it is still a pig
Old April 17, 2010, 03:11 AM   #18
natman

The CZs and the Mossberg SRs are both made in Turkey, but in different factories. The CZ is made by Huglu and the SRs are made by Kahn. The CZs are somewhat acceptable, but the SRs are crudely made and filthy inside, full of grit and metal dust.

Even with a factory in Turkey, you just can't turn out a decent double gun for less than $1000. At least no one is doing it. You would be better off buying a nice used Beretta, Browning, Franchi etc or a good pump and saving until you can afford a good double.