The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
dannyawesome

A problem and some questions with a new Sig Sauer P226

I recently picked up the (first of about 6, I can continue to dream ) pistol of my dreams - a Sig P226 9mm SCT- and got a chance to take it for a spin this weekend. I put around 300 rounds through it and had a blast! Accuracy and handling were better than I expected, however I did run into a couple of very minor glitches and I've got a few questions. I thought I’d ask everyone here and see if anyone else has experienced the same problem (and if so, what, if anything they did to fix if?) and if, in fact, this is indeed a problem (as opposed to me being an idiot or missing the obvious) before I call up Sig.

Twice, after firing the last round in the mag, the slide failed to lock in the open (and back) position. I’ve read this complaint before and the answer I’ve commonly ran into was that it is usually due to the user’s thumb accidently holding the slide catch lever down. In my case I know that this is not and cannot be the issue as I lost part of my left thumb in a traumatic amputation a couple of years ago. In fact, I cannot reach the slide catch with my left thumb and (due to my grip and the size of my right thumb in general) I have to make a conscious effort and change my grip in order to release the slide with my right thumb. I know that this is a very minor complaint compared to the excellent quality of my new firearm, and as a whole I am very satisfied with the purchase. However, after dropping close to $1,000 into this pistol and with Sig’s reputation I am a bit surprised that I had any complaints, however minor or even trivial in nature they may be, after just a couple of hours at the range (I am aware of the growing number of Sig owners who are very unhappy with the company and with thier newer products). I bought the pistol brand new in the box and it is under warranty should it come to that.

The question I have regards the plastic recoil spring guide rod: I have read that Sig used to make these out of metal (and include them free of charge). I’ve also read that you can sometimes get a metal replacement one from Sig, free of charge (or relatively cheap) if you bug them. Is there a reason that they are now made out of plastic? What are the pros to a metal one? Is it worth while trying to get one from Sig? How about if it ends up not being free of charge/is it worth the price, and if so, why?

Finally, I’m looking for a holster which will fit the P226 SCT with the fiber-optic front sight. I don’t need anything for concealment or anything like that. I prefer a Blackhawk SERPA type/style holster with a trigger guard type retention lock. If possible, one that would hold a spare magazine.

Thank you for any information!
Danny
Old December 10, 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
dannyawesome

Some pics for fun

I'm happy and excited, like a proud... parent isn't the right word and abit cliche, but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized p226 2.jpg (132.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg resized p226 3.jpg (41.4 KB, 115 views)
Old December 10, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

Hello,

it's probably one of two things, either the mags or the slide catch. If te mag springs are two weak, the slide won't hold back after the last round. I had the same problem with my 239. Call sig and let them know about it. In my case they sent me two new mags and that was that. The problem contuined after a roll pin broke and sig changed the roll pin and he mag catch and I haven't had the problem since.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:56 PM   #4
BigJimP

I would call Sig and talk to them - but in general, I think problems with Sig mags are rare ....

I have 3 226's ( in 9mm and .40 ) and have had none of the problems you describe / although my guns are about 3 yrs old / but all 3 ran flawlessly right out of the box.

My recoil spring guides are metal - but I don't know that a well made plastic one would be a problem. I'm kind of anti - poly anything / but its a sign of the times.

Glad to hear you like the gun / I would probably run 10 - 20 boxes thru it and see if that changes anything before I sent a gun back unless it gets worse.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Conn. Trooper

I also bought a new 226 and several times it failed to lock back on the last round. I am going to have my firearms unit guys look at it. I will let you know what they find.

I also got the plastic guide rod. I ordered a brand new one from Steve Bedair (he sells them on a website I believe its guiderod.com, I just googled Bedair guide rod). The Bedair comes in stainless and works like a charm. Steve was excellent to deal with and emailed me right after I placed the order and when it shipped, which was the next morning. Excellent sale and a great guy to deal with.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:20 AM   #6
johnbt

It's a SIGforum sticky. John

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/749101723

"Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired?"

Can't help with a holster suggestion, I'm looking for one to fit my new P226S X-5 Tac TB. I need to fit a 5-inch barrel plus the threaded extension.

John

Tags
sig , sig 226 , sig p226 , sig sauer , sig sauer p226