The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1
roy reali

Presidential Participation

I have two books written by Thoedore Roosevelt. One is called Hunting Trips Of A Ranchman and the other is The Wilderness Hunter.
It is obvious, that he was an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I guess for shooting enthusiasts that would be the best type of president to have.

Does anyone of any other President that was a hunter? Don't include the current one, just past ones.
Old October 11, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

One might be aware that some candidates dress up as hunters about election time to portray that image. As compared to those who really did it seriously.
Old October 11, 2010, 01:26 PM   #3
kraigwy

A tiny bit off topic, but years ago, I picked up a first printing of AFRICAN GAME TRAILS by Teddy Roosevelt for $10 at a gun show.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 11, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Do vice presidents count?

Because Cheney hunted lawy,,, eerrr, birds one year.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 11, 2010, 04:30 PM   #5
elkman06

Quote:
Don't include the current one, just past ones.
Hmmph,, I've been searching for about 30mins w/ no results beyond anyone other than the OP named Prez/
It's possible that Lyndon Johnson did, Or H Truman. Couple good ole boys there.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old October 11, 2010, 05:32 PM   #6
roy reali

Early Ones?

I was thinking some of the early presidents may have been hunters. I wonder if Jefferson hunted. Hunting back then was a "normal" way of life. Lincoln was a wood chopper, that would suggest living at or near wilderness.

re:kraigway

Quote:
A tiny bit off topic, but years ago, I picked up a first printing of AFRICAN GAME TRAILS by Teddy Roosevelt for $10 at a gun show.
Let me know how it reads. His two boks I have are not that easy to read. He goes into painstaking details about the things he observed.

Quote:
History and Government > U.S. Presidents
Presidents' Occupations
This table provides information about the occupations held by U.S. Presidents before and after their time in office.

President Major Jobs Before the Presidency Jobs After the Presidency
George Washington surveyor, planter, general of the Army of the United Colonies planter, lieutenant-general of all the U.S. armies
John Adams schoolteacher, lawyer, diplomat, vice president under Washington writer
Thomas Jefferson writer, inventor, lawyer, architect, governor of Virginia, secretary of state under Washington, vice president under Adams writer, gentleman farmer, rector at the University of Virginia
James Madison lawyer, political theorist, U.S. congressman, secretary of state under Jefferson rector at the University of Virginia
James Monroe soldier, lawyer, U.S. senator, governor of Virginia writer, regent at the University of Virginia
John Quincy Adams lawyer, diplomat, professor, U.S. senator, secretary of state under Monroe U.S. representative from Massachusetts
Andrew Jackson soldier, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator, governor of Florida gentleman farmer
Martin Van Buren lawyer, U.S. senator, governor of New York, vice president under Jackson activist for Free Soil Party
William Henry Harrison soldier, diplomat, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator from Ohio died in office
John Tyler lawyer, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator, vice president under Harrison lawyer, chancellor of the College of William and Mary, member of the Confederate House of Representatives
James Knox Polk lawyer, U.S. congressman, governor of Tennessee died 103 days after leaving office
Zachary Taylor soldier died in office
Millard Fillmore lawyer, U.S. congressman, vice president under Taylor rogue political activist, chancellor of the University of Buffalo
Franklin Pierce lawyer, soldier, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator from New Hampshire gentleman farmer
James Buchanan lawyer, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator, U.S. secretary of state writer
Abraham Lincoln postmaster, lawyer, U.S. congressman from Illinois died in office
Andrew Johnson tailor, U.S. congressman, governor of Tennessee, U.S. senator from Tennessee, vice president under Lincoln U.S. senator from Tennessee
Ulysses Simpson Grant U.S. Army general political activist, writer
Rutherford Birchard Hayes lawyer, soldier, U.S. congressman, governor of Ohio education activist, president of the National Prison Reform Association
James Abram Garfield schoolteacher, soldier, U.S. representative from Ohio died in office
Chester Alan Arthur schoolteacher, lawyer, tariff collector, vice president under Garfield lawyer
Grover Cleveland sheriff, lawyer, mayor, governor of New York reelected president
Benjamin Harrison lawyer, soldier, journalist, U.S. senator from Indiana lawyer, lecturer
William McKinley soldier, lawyer, U.S. congressman, governor of Ohio died in office
Theodore Roosevelt rancher, soldier, governor of New York, vice president under McKinley hunter, writer
William Howard Taft lawyer, judge, dean of the University of Cincinnati Law School, U.S. secretary of war professor, chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
Woodrow Wilson lawyer, professor, president of Princeton University, governor of New Jersey retired in poor health
Warren Gamaliel Harding newspaper editor, U.S. senator from Ohio died in office
Calvin Coolidge lawyer, governor of Massachusetts, vice president under Harding writer, president of the American Antiquarian Society
Herbert Clark Hoover engineer, U.S. secretary of commerce chair of the Hoover Commission on administrative reform
Franklin Delano Roosevelt lawyer, governor of New York died in office
Harry S. Truman farmer, soldier, haberdasher, judge, U.S. senator, vice president under Roosevelt writer
Dwight David Eisenhower supreme commander of the Allied forces in Europe, U.S. Army chief of staff writer
John Fitzgerald Kennedy journalist, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator from Massachusetts died in office
Lyndon Baines Johnson schoolteacher, soldier, congressman, U.S. senator from Texas, vice president under Kennedy rancher, writer
Richard Milhous Nixon lawyer, U.S. congressman, U.S. senator, vice president under Eisenhower writer
Gerald Rudolph Ford lawyer, U.S. congressman, vice president under Nixon writer
James Earl Carter, Jr. peanut farmer, governor of Georgia writer, humanitarian, Nobel-prize winning statesman
Ronald Wilson Reagan movie actor, corporate spokesman, governor of California writer
George Herbert Walker Bush oil executive, U.S. congressman, U.S. ambassador to the UN, Director of CIA, vice president under Reagan private citizen; teamed with President Clinton to form tsunami and Hurricane Katrina aid funds
William Jefferson Clinton lawyer, governor of Arkansas writer, independent ambassador; teamed with President G.H.W. Bush to form tsunami and Hurricane Katrina aid funds
George Walker Bush oil executive, sport team owner, governor of Texas —
Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. community organizer, civil rights lawyer, constitutional law professor, Illinois state senator, U.S. senator —

Read more: Presidents' Occupations — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A07688...#ixzz125mmzu00
I found the above. It mentions presidential occupations before the White House. Only one is mentioned as a hunter, you guessed it, Teddy Roosevelt. But some are mentioned as farmers. Maybe they hunted.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:33 PM   #7
rtpzwms

You should be able to find references to Lincoln hunting in the early years. I found this on another web site. And I seem to remember reading in Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and The War Years something about turkey hunting trips. So I would believe that he would have hunted out of necessity.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:45 PM   #8
lizziedog1

Didn't Jimmy Carter hunt some sort of amphibious rabbit or something like that.
Old October 11, 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Rembrandt

The Bush family are avid bird hunters. When Bush Sr. was President he and his sons were (quail-or-dove) hunting in Texas during the holidays. Unfortunately some news cameras followed them along and crucified them in the media, mostly from anti-hunter groups. After that incident Bush (41) continued the tradition when he was President, only privately and with no cameras.
Old October 11, 2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Quote:
It is obvious, that he was an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I guess for shooting enthusiasts that would be the best type of president to have.
Not sure if personal experience is the most important thing. Kennedy and Nixon were not rocket scientists or astronauts, but the did pretty well putting a man on the moon.
FDR was for obvious reasons not a hunter, but lots of his land management polices were good for hunters.

As has been mentioned, most of the modern presidents haven't hunted for anything except photo ops. Bush the younger even messed up a photo op by shooting the wrong kind of bird.