The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Lilswede1

Sampler Kit for Bullets and Powder

Does anyone make a "sampler" kit for reloading.
It would have several different bullets (Vmax - Blitzking - Nosler) of all the same weight and maybe 20 of each.
Also would be nice to try samples of different powders without having to buy a full pound or more.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:42 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A sample of powder won't tell you anything. You need enough to work up a load.
I couldn't see any bullet retailer being willing to break up boxes of bullets either. National Bullet used to give out samples of their cast and swaged bullets, but I think they stopped doing it. Likely cost too much money to mail.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Go Kiwi

A couple of my local gunshops here in NZ reload ammunition instore for customers - they are always happy to sell me 10 of anything out of a part used box

There might be someone prepared to do similar near to you?
Old September 26, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
mkg

LilSwede, What caliber ...6.5 mm maybe

I've seen those "trial kits" for bullets but not powder.

Mike
Old September 26, 2008, 08:43 AM   #5
mkg

LilSwede, here you go...

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,16386.0.html

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old September 26, 2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
National Bullet used to give out samples of their cast and swaged bullets, but I think they stopped doing it. Likely cost too much money to mail.
Actually, National Bullet stopped sending out entire, complete and paid for orders on all bullets. They began outright stealing from customers a couple of years ago and it took the authorities quite a while to shut them down and bring up numerous fraud charges against them.

That SOB ought to be in jail or laying face down in an alley right now, but I haven't heard anything recent.

Any discussion amongst reloaders that brings up NBC or the National Bullet Company needs to include discussion of how that **** should be repeatedly kicked in the nuts.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old September 29, 2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Lilswede1

Savageshooters reply

I just got back on computer - been loading up trailer and pickup for hunting and will be gone for 2 - 3 weeks (elk - deer).
Went to Savageshooters website and it looks like something I would really be interested in.
I will register if the site is still there when I get back from hunting and order some bullets and whatever else they might be offering that I may need.
I think this would be a good site for all newbie reloaders to look at once they have gotten the basics of building a reliable round and are ready to start experimenting for a more accurate round.
Thanks for the lead.
Once I get my .223 perfected I will start on the .308, 30-30, 30-06 and 300 mag.

Last edited by Lilswede1; September 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarification
Old November 8, 2008, 01:01 AM   #8
whiplash

Hogdgon used to have a sample pack of powder. If I remember it was called "Hunter Pack", and maybe a varmint pack. It had four small bottles of different powders. I seen it once in a store about 5-8 years ago???? and havent seen it since...
Old November 9, 2008, 01:27 AM   #9
wyobohunter

best we've done so far

I have several cartridges (different calibers) that can share powders and a couple of friends that shoot a couple of the same calibers in similar purpose but different cartridges. We (sort of) share the expense of powders and bullets... I say sort of because I'm the one with all of the reloading stuff, so they'll buy a box of bullets/pound of powder and I'll cherry pick a little. Of course I already have a decent selection of components that they are welcome to, I just shoot more than either of them.