The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
happymachinist

Scope Alignment Kit

Not sure if this is the place to put this or not...

This is my first post, I've been lurking lately and finally got myself a username.

I recently aquired a Ruger No. 1B in .204. Offset rings are on order and should be here any day now.

As my name may suggests I am a tool maker and I'm trying to save myself a few bucks. Rather than spend $50-60 on a scope ring lapping kit I'd like to make my own. I have the alignment gage portion done, and am ready to start the lap bar.

My question is what is the diameter of the lap bar for 1" scope rings?

I have read some bars measure .995 to acomidate for the lapping compound "film" i you will but this would also partially depend on the grit of lapping compound I suppose.

Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
Old December 13, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
arizona98tj

I just checked mine....it was .996". I use 220 grit lapping compound. I've used my kit on 3 scopes so far (actually used the 30mm bar) and have had good results. No problems, no complaints.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Pahoo

You should be okay

I had a machinist in our shop, make me a 1" as well as a 30mm bar with a 1/4-20 T-bolt handle at center point. This is the same buddy that made a few cannons for me. He Pretty much stayed right at the finished od's. ....

Now, as far as ring diameters, you will find that they will vary and you do have plenty of room to play with, so I suspect that the .995 should still be good. I have not had to lap too many rings but I can tell that there is plenty of room. There have been cases where some folks have literally destroyed a good set of rings by lapping too much. ....

It's entirely your call but you don't have to have a 100% contact surface. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 13, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
happymachinist

Thanks for the help.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Old December 14, 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
happymachinist

Any suggestions for a coating or treatment of the bare metal after lapping?

Old December 14, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Pahoo

???

Quote:
Any suggestions for a coating or treatment of the bare metal after lapping?
My 30mm was made out of a hard aloy brass. My 1" was originally black oxide. I just keep the " 1", well protected. I'm not sure what Wheeler does but their alignment bars seem to be anodized aluminum.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2012, 11:56 AM   #7
happymachinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
My 30mm was made out of a hard aloy brass. My 1" was originally black oxide. I just keep the " 1", well protected. I'm not sure what Wheeler does but their alignment bars seem to be anodized aluminum.

Be Safe !!!
Sorry poor word choice.

What can I do to prevent the scope rings from rusting after I've lapped the bluing off them?

I've seen Birchwood Casey perms blue, but if I'm not mistaken it needs to be rinsed between applications and that would be tough for ring bases mounted on my rifle.

Old December 14, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Pahoo

How good is good enough ??

Yes, spot blue is about as good as you can do .....

I find that quality steel rings, should not need alignment or at least I don't go in, assuming that they will be off. I always do preliminary checks to determine the need, I go for a high percentage of contact and if it's not 100%, so be it. ...
The most common problem I run into, is a ring or ridge on the outside edges of the rings bores. These ridges can really bite into your scope. I just champher them down to the internal plain.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
happymachinist

I wasn't going to lap them until I read about ruger rings being a problem. So out of curiosity I took them to work and checked them out.

I put a 1" gage pin and held it up to the light and was not happy with how much light I saw. I have them installed straight according to my point gages, I just whant to true up their shape for better contact, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks again

Old December 14, 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Pahoo

Never a waste of time !!

Quote:
I just whant to true up their shape for better contact, or am I wasting my time?
Hardly if ever, a waste of your time. What I am saying is that some preliminary checks will tell you what needs attention. Keep in mind, that all rings flex to a certian degree. They are more like band than a rigid mount and it all comes together, once they are secured. ...

Be Safe !!!