The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 4, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
SainthoodDenied

New Carbine

Finally ran across a carbine at the right time that fit the budget. This one was actually rebuilt by a friend of mine that's a full time gunsmith. He took a Janurary 44 Inland reciever and found a 1-44 Inland barrel that looks brand new inside then tracked down all Inland parts and added new springs. Even has a Inland oiler.
I get to finish the last couple parts, he put on a close but not exact reproduction rear sight till he could find a Inland and a potbelly stock then got busy at work and with other personal projects so it got put aside then sold to me when I told him I would be interested in one. So now I'm on the hunt for the rear sight and nice looking stock.

Old June 5, 2010, 03:24 AM   #2
olyinaz

Congrats! Have a ball with it.

Best,
Oly
Old June 5, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
TX Hunter

That is very nice. Enjoy it.
Old June 12, 2010, 01:41 AM   #4
stickhauler

For the stock:

http://whatacountry.com/m1-carbine-m...mber-S144.aspx

The sight:

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17664

If I recall right, the Type II marked PI would be correct for an Inland.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Sir Loin

Help Identify M1 Carbine

I too just ran across an M1 Carbine and I've been reading up on the history of this rifle trying to figure out if this was USGI or a post war production ( and of course the value of it.) The barrel is stamped "SAGINAW SG Div" and under that is "GENERAL MOTORS" but I cannot make out any indication of a date (using bright lights and powerful magnifying glasses) so I'm inclined to think that there is no date stamp. The front top of the receiver is marked "U.S. CARBINE" - "CAL. 30 M1." the serial number is bit odd. there is a space between the 5th and 6th number. so it reads 30315 7 and the 7 appears to be from a different stamp set or something, it's not stamped as cleanly as the 1st 5 numbers. (must have been 4:45 PM on a Friday at the assembly plant) The bracket for the shoulder strap/hand guard is stamped SI
On the rear of the receiver by the screw is stamped SG and there is a smaller R stamped above that - centered between the SG and appears to be newer, less worn. I've read that most of the service weapons went through a rebuild/refitting after their time time in service and maybe that is what the R indicates. There are no markings on the front sight and the rear sight is stamped J.A.O. 7160060 (it is an adjustable sight) I couldn't see any markings inside the sling well or stampings on the stock anywhere. I have not disassembled it to look for any markings on the internal pieces. (Waiting for a field manual or an experienced friend before I screw anything up internally)
What else should I be looking for to help identify when it was made and what it's value may be estimated at? thanks, Ben

Last edited by Sir Loin; June 13, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
COSteve

M1 Carbines are just plain fun. I've owned this one since 1972. It's a 1943 NPM with a Marlin barrel (correct for NPM) that measures only 1/2. It was rebuilt by Rock River Arsenal after the war but remained in a crate until I bought it.

Old June 14, 2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Annihilator

Your Saginaw was made during WW2. The only Carbines manufactured after the war were non-USGI.

Looks like it was rebuilt at least once due to the newer rear sight assembly and bayonet lug.

Any markings on the the left side of the stock above the trigger area? Also, any import marks on the metal or under the barrel? Those detract about $50 from the value.

Look closer under the rear sight and there should be a manufacturer stamp. There were 2 variations of S'G' and one is worth a bit more than the other.

A rack-grade S'G' sells for $595 from the CMP.....
Old June 14, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Sir Loin

Additional markings under rear sight

Thanks Annihilator for the info.
There are additional markings under the rear sight.
It looks like SAG and possibly a W - but the W is directly under the sight and I can't be sure unless I remove the sight. and then S.G. again
so it reads SAGW S.G.
The A is really faint - at first I thought it was a scratch.

There are two other markings I totally missed before.
On the receiver between the rear sight and the opening for the bolt is capital I. or a double stamped 1. and on the flat spot directly in front of the rear sight is the number 285
I still do not see any import stamps on the stock or on the barrell.
Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by Sir Loin; June 14, 2010 at 07:34 PM.