The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 24, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
dakota.potts

I guess a Mosin Nagant is an Assault Rifle now?

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/228...-found-in-home

Found this on a local Facebook group. It is probably a good thing the FBI is investigating as the guy is known to be mentally unstable and was found to have a large pressure cook with "explosive materials", ball bearings, wires, etc. all in close proximity.

The kicker comes when they say they found weapons "stockpiled" in his house. The reporter specifically states that court documents stated that an "assault rifle" with hundreds of rounds of ammunition was found.

They then zoom into a wooden box containing a Mosin Nagant, stripper clips, and a Luger P-08.

Somehow this Mosin Nagant is an assault rifle. Thank God he didn't have an Archangel stock on it! The ammo they showed also seemed to be surplus Russian stuff.

My initial thought was that his "weapons stockpile" was an uncle or grandpa's World War II weapon collection or something. The Luger even seemed to have one of the original paddle holsters.

Just shows you what good media bias is.
Old July 25, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
trg42wraglefragle

If the police raided my house and the media reported it, there would be a report of a high powered semi automatic rifle and a stock pile of ammunition.

When really its a Winchester 555 bulk pack and a Remington 597.

I despise the media on everything they report, I never believe what they say as more often than not you only get half the story and it's only the half they want you to hear.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:03 AM   #3
madmo44mag

There are many of us that if our home was invaded my or local or fed gooberments would be called terrorist.
My loading bench, loading supplies and ammo alone would make national news as would many of this forums members let alone the number of guns in their collections.
The media has no clue.
They just push their agenda any way they can.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; July 25, 2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: political invective.
Old July 25, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
osceolawell

Just the other day the 5o news had a picture of an AK Assault Rifle.
( a Mossberg 500 )
I think my old Stevens 410 single might be an assault rifle.
Old July 25, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
GunLink

When, in recent history, has anyone accused "the media" of getting things right?
Old July 25, 2013, 12:59 PM   #6
dakota.potts

Prior to the current assault rifle craze, I would've expected they call it a "military rifle" or something.

Nope, Assault rifle it is.
Old July 25, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's just a silly blunder and not an intentional, coherent strategy.

The terms "assault rifle" and Assault Weapon are now firmly ingrained in our culture. Assault weapons are evil. "Everyone" can agree that they should be banned. You're a crazy, fringe loon if you don't.

Now, on to the next step. Expand the definition.

Do you think the term Assault Weapon was accidental? No, they needed to eventually include things other than rifles. Weapon is all-inclusive. High-cap handguns can be added. Eventually, anything semi-auto will count (you watch).

It's not an accident and it's not random. It's intentional.
Old July 25, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
dakota.potts

If you are correct (as you very well may be) we have gone WAY past calling anything semi-auto an assault weapon and gone firmly into 70 year old bolt action rifle territory.
Old July 25, 2013, 01:57 PM   #9
kevinjmiller

Quote:
It's not an accident and it's not random. It's intentional.
Exactly!
1. Assault weapons are scary,
2. Loud noises are scary,
3. Guns are loud.
4. Therefore, all guns are assault weapons.
Old July 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #10
SC4006

Wow, just when I thought things couldn't get any worse... Now bolt actions? I have some tracer rounds for my assault mosin, maybe those would be considered cop killing incendiary rounds?

A while ago I think it might have been ABC news that called a ruger 10/22 with those 25 round magazines a ".22 caliber assault rifle".

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:05 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

That 30.06 deer rifle with scope is now a 'sniper' rifle.

At a gun 'buyback', a police chief crowed about the Safari rifle they garnered. "On the streets, this could cut someone in half."
Old July 25, 2013, 03:07 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

I can't imagine what the media would report if they raided most of our homes. I guess it is a good things are homes are not likely to be raided.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Mosin

I tell people my Mosin (1895) likely killed a few dozen people in WWI, the Russian Revolution, and WWII in Finland. It's also just as likely that twice as many Russians were killed holding the rifle than the number of people it was used to shoot.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
wayneinFL

Not watching the video, but the article shows a picture of a pressure cooker and a bag of perlite. Maybe they should check out my mom.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
spacecoast

Quote:
There are many of us that if our home was invaded my or local or fed gooberments would be called terrorist.
Amen to that. These clowns in the media have no clue about the role of firearms in establishing, expanding and defending our country.
Old July 25, 2013, 11:35 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

If you have two brain cells to rub together, and didn't sleep through high school chemistry (at least the level it was taught at 40 years ago) you can go into anyone's average home, gun fancier, terrorist, news reporter, judge, politician, doctor, or clergyman or anti-gun activist, and find the materials to construct a moderately powerful explosive device.

Is not just sad that the news media actively disdains accuracy in reporting when it comes to firearms, but that they can quote "court documents" and still be so FREAKIN WRONG!
Old July 26, 2013, 12:27 AM   #17
Slopemeno

If you have a pellet gun and a map you'll be described as a "selft-styled survivalist".
Old July 26, 2013, 05:15 AM   #18
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Listen to Brian, he is right about this.. It is all a ploy to criminalize gun owners and make them all seem dangerous and unstable...

The media will twist any story that s remotely related to a firearm.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Punisher_1

If a news story is friendly to a firearms owner they have a "firearms collection". If not the same collection is now a "weapons cache".
Old July 28, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20
MattShlock

Materacism

The media has stopped calling weapons "assault" just because they are evil black plastic -- now even brown and all color guns of whatever material are equally "assault weapons." No more hue-ignorant prejudice or material bigotry.

No justice, no piece!

And Pfleuger's right. The Left has no shame and a mission to disarm real Americans. Some may be too young to remember that any surplus was referred to as "military," a few boxes of ammo was "an arsenal," and anything with a scope was referred to as "a sniper rifle" by the anti-gunners and much of it took with the media. Like today's "commin sense gun control."

Last edited by MattShlock; July 28, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:59 PM   #21
JD0x0

Can't wait for the news reports on the "Assault Muskets."

The government wants to keep the public's gun technology in the 1800's. Keep 'em weak and they're easier to control. Just give 'em the bare minimum. Bread and water... like prisoners.
Old July 29, 2013, 05:28 AM   #22
8MM Mauser

Well those M44's do have that "tactical" bayonet after all.

Old July 29, 2013, 05:49 AM   #23
mdd

The only way the left will be happy is if all we are left with to defend ourselves is colorful language.
Old July 29, 2013, 03:20 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

Link to contact the news station, please leave cold and copy/paste
http://www.myfoxboston.com/category/...ct-fox-25-news

sent them a nice note explaining that this is a WWI/WW2 rifle that holds 5 rounds
Old July 29, 2013, 03:44 PM   #25
RBid

I guess a Mosin Nagant is an Assault Rifle now?

Tl;dr

Too busy fondling my semiautomatic, military grade assault weapon and it's high capacity magazine clip, designed to spray bullets from the hip and kill 500 people per minute. I mean, my Glock 19.