The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 9, 2014, 12:17 PM   #1
ezmiraldo

Your best Android and Apple shooting apps

Hi all!

I wanted to see what smartphone apps you guys find helpful. Please share your favorite shooting apps, what you are using them for, and why you like them. Let's talk about a variety of applications: long-distance shooting, ccw laws, timers, etc., etc., etc.

I'll start. I'm using these 3 android apps regularly:
- strelok (and sniper calc, being close second) - nice free app for calculating firing solutions, lots of parameters (bullet weights, BCs, wind, angle, and so forth). Very easy to use. Plus, unlike JBM ballistics calculator, you do not need internet to use it.
- mildot calculator - nice free app for calculating distance to target when you know target size and have mildot scope. Simple as can be, and helps lazy guys, like myself, do calculations without having to use any formulas.
- clinometer - free inclinometer to calculate angle of the shot. Very simple tool and obviates the need for rifle mounted inclinometers, that cost around $100.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all are using.
Old August 10, 2014, 09:00 AM   #2
ezmiraldo

Apparently, using mobile phone shooting apps is not very popular around here! Ha!
Old August 10, 2014, 09:11 AM   #3
pax

I used my calculator app at an IDPA match once.

(Luddite, please!)

Karl Rehn wrote an excellent article about various shooting-related apps for CCM back in 2012. Somewhat dated now, but still good info. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...ting-practice/

pax
Old August 13, 2014, 02:55 PM   #4
oberkommando

Ballistic is a nice app for comparing various profiles. KAC makes an iphone app also. People seem impressed with applied ballistics in the kestrel 4500NV for long range use. Another helpful device is anything made by vectronix.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Corrections Cop

I have:

Elevation App
Zephyrus App For Wind Speed
Strelok App

All for android

Note* I have yet to go to the range and try them out yet.
Old August 20, 2014, 06:56 PM   #6
HJ857

I used Strelok for a while but then tried iSnipe and like that quite a bit better. I think it has better customization options and I really like how the table menu headers stay fixed at the top when you scroll down for distances.

Neither has stability or B/C calculators which I'd like to see.
Old August 20, 2014, 09:02 PM   #7
4runnerman

Gun Log,,Winchester Ballistics,Mil Dot,MOA calculator, Let Fly, Use them sometimes, Gun Log is by far the best. Let Fly is a program you can plug all your info into,Bullet Wt,BC,MV, scope click value and it will tell you how many clicks to go from say 300 to 1000 yards. I have found it to be a useful program
Old August 24, 2014, 09:49 AM   #8
coldbeer

I want Quick Load for Android, if the makers of quickload made a mobile app they'd become billionaires overnight. Well maybe not billionaires but they'd make dump trucks full of money for sure.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:02 AM   #9
sirgilligan

I use Gun Log SPC. It is a range log that also has a ballistics calculator, records failures, ammunition, accessories, etc. It is only on iOS, it is not on Android or other platforms.

Here is a review on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/Crx19CmDEp0

I especially like the PDF reports.
Firing set PDF reports can replace all of those targets that I keep lying around.

This is an actual firing set.

Here is a report for an individual firearm. This is just contrived to show the report, I don't own this firearm and the pictures are obviously not of the same pistol.

Here is a ballistics report, and with Gun Log SPC you can print it our email it.

I wrote the app for myself. I was raised on a dairy farm and went to college and got a degree in computer science. I decided to put the app on the App Store. It has been well received and even reviewed in the NRA Life of Duty online magazine. The app has never paid for its time and effort to develop but the proceeds have paid for my NRA life membership, and financed a few firearms and accessory purchases.

Gun Log SPC : http://gunlogspc.blogspot.com/2013/0...n-log-spc.html

Gun Log: http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2013/0...o-gun-log.html

Gun Log +P: http://gunlogplusp.blogspot.com/2014...gun-log-p.html

Note about GL+P: It uses iCloud to backup. This was a highly requested feature. I personally don't want my data on iCloud, but I assure you I followed Apple's directions on how to use iCloud and GL+P is as secure as Apple makes things secure.

I recommend GL-SPC for printing and email, but if you don't want that then Gun Log does everything else. I never harvest any of your data, the apps do not use the GPS or your location at anytime. The apps have their own pass code as well. I use it as a range log, not an inventory app, so I don't put in the serial numbers. You don't even have to put any information about the firearm, you can give it a nick name and track your maintenance and firing sessions that way. Just saying that you can be as safe as you want with the app. I rate myself a 6 on the paranoid scale of 1 to 10.

I think some people use the app to enter the data and generate the PDF reports for insurance purposes and then delete the data and the app when they are finished.

Last edited by sirgilligan; August 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 25, 2014, 10:00 AM   #10
sirgilligan

I didn't mean to "shut down" this thread. There are lots of good apps out there.

I have studied and reviewed many of them for iOS.

http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/

Gun Inventory
MiGuns
Gun Toolbox
Range Buddy
Shooter (Ballistics Calculator)
Gun Locker
BulletDrop

These are just a few.
Old August 25, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11
motorhead0922

IPSC Shot Timer. I use it for Par time when dry firing.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:14 PM   #12
jim.greenesr

What's a smart phone?
Old August 27, 2014, 10:05 AM   #13
CowTowner

^^^^^^ What he asked.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy