The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 13, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Freeloader Reloader

Intended Uses of your Home Arsenal

Since I retired I don't have a lot of available cash to spend on firearms, though I have many on my "Wish List". Come to think of it, I didn't have any "Spare Cash" even when I was working. Often I think about the firearms that I do have, and it's not many compared to some of the guys I know, and think about the major uses of each one...as Nutn Fancy says, the philosophy of use. So here goes mine and I would love to hear what's in your safe.
Browning HiPower, 9mm
My favorite gun. Primary self-defense due to reliability and capacity. 2-13 rd. mags loaded with JKTD HP, always with the gun. Also have 4 mags that I use for range time with handloads. A little heavy for carry though, but it TSHTF, that's the one on my hip.
Ruger GP100
Primary range gun and possible hog killer. Love to shoot .38 Special handloads at the range. Woud love to put either a Red Dot or a scope on it one of these days. Great home defense choice loaded with .357 Magnum JKTD HP. Imagine a bad guy looking down that barrel? Great gun to bring down feral hogs which are destroying the levees and wetlands down here.
Ruger LC9
My EDC in a IWB holster along with 2- extra 7-rd mags on the other side of my belt. Very easy to conceal, even with a T-Shirt. Hardly know it's there. Hate that DA trigger though. Always run a few mags through it at the range since I always have it on me. Also keep it ready to go in a safe place in my home. No kids can reach it and cannot even tell it's there.
S&W Model 422
My primary plinker and target pistol. I am probably more accurate with it than anything else on targets. Usually shoot .22LR but have some "Quiet Loads" that I shoot in my backyard, mostly at beer cans and big black grasshoppers, Devil Horses. My wife's garden appreciates it and it's a lot of fun.
Model 12 Winchester in 16 ga.
It's a Model 12...what more needs to be said?
Model 311 Stevens sxs .410ga
My first gun from my youth. A double barrel is not a great gun as a "first" but was and is a very nice shooter. Great rabbit gun.
Model 29 Savage
>22 cal. pump action can shoot any .22 cartridge. Load it up with shorts and you can shoot for awhile. Very accurate, just with iron sights. Would have loved to put a sling on it though.
Well, that's all I have. For those of you who have taken the time to read through this, I would love to hear about what you have and why.
Old August 13, 2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Glockstar .40

Too many to make a short post so I'll just say that I have a wide variety. some for hunting deer some for cougar, some for varmint. I got some for self defense(a couple I shuffle out for home defense and a few I cycle around for conceal carry) and some for fun at the range
Old August 13, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3
psyfly

^^^What Glockstar .40 said^^^
Currently:
Self defense:
CCW (in order of frequency): NAA .32ACP, Kahr PM9, Para-Ordnance LDA .45 ACP (All 3 of these actually fit in the same cross-draw holster )

Home defense/bedside table/underbed:
Charter Arms .44 SPL Bulldog/Rossi 20 ga. coach gun

Home defense/ranch rifle:
IO AK47

Plinking:
Ruger Shopkeeper .22
Winchester 1906 .22

Hunting:
Winchester .44 Carbine
Savage 99 .308

W
Old August 13, 2014, 05:51 PM   #4
SHE3PDOG

I lost mental count once it got over 20. The vast majority of them are a part of my milsurp collection. I only have a pair of handguns that my wife and I use for self defense. The rest are for various fun uses: hunting, target shooting, or because I can...mainly that last one.

Fret not, my milsurp guns do get shot despite me referring to them as my collection. I must say that I'm quite fond of the M1 Garand and FN49. They are both such smooth shooters and everyone that shoots them gets a huge smile on their face.

I have a never-ending wish list though. Every time I put something on there, I end up buying something else that catches my eye.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 13, 2014, 09:45 PM   #5
KyJim

I have a handful of guns that I actually use for something other than just shooting for fun.

I mostly carry a Dan Wesson CCO 1911 (.45) , a Kahr CM9 (9mm), a SW Model 38 Airweight (.38 spl) and either a Ruger LCP or Sig P238 (both .380s). I occasionally carry a Colt Agent (.38 spl).

For home, it's a SW Model 65 (.357) downstairs. Upstairs, it's a Sig 220 Compact (.45) and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I also usually have whatever I carried that day.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

M91/30 Mosin-Nagant Izhevsk 1941 Manufacture
First gun I bought, home defense gun, partly, primarily range/ fun gun.

Karabiner-31 1949 manufacture.
Most accurate rifle I own. Second rifle I bought.

12 gauge Iver-Johnson Single Shot
Inheritance, mainly just sits in it'it's bag and gets an occasional cleaning. Backup home defense gun.

Remington Model 514 Single Shot .22 Bolt Action
Inheritance, project gun at the moment. I got it awfully corroded, rusted, and pitted. Sent the metal parts (excluding bolt) to a gunsmith to get it reblued. I polished the bolt to a mirror finish myself and removed the corosion. Stripped the stock of it's finish and waiting for my Tru-Oil to arrive son can refinish it.

Röhm RG20 .22 Short Revolver
Inheritance, mainly sits in a drawer unloaded, gets an occasional cleaning and wipedown.

Ruger 10/22
This is my training gun. I use it to practice when I don't want to shoot center fire or when I want to practice field sshooting.

Thats it, really, I technically own a Remington 700 chambered in .260 that I don't enjoy shooting as much as my main 3. I killed my first deer with it.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 14, 2014, 08:41 AM   #7
ballardw

I don't have an arsenal. I have a container full of specialized tools.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:07 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remember, anything you use is subject to seizure as evidence by the PoPo until you are cleared of any criminal wrong doing.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Arizona Smithshooter

It always amazes me how many people divulge their personal information on the Internet thinking they are anonymous. Now days anything you post on the Internet, either in E-mails or Forums can be retrieved and used against you in a court of law. On other forums I have seen people post photos of their entire gun inventory, which I believe is just plain stupid.
Just my $0.02...............
Old August 14, 2014, 09:31 AM   #10
twobit

I have no guns. All were lost in the boating accident. I can prove that, because I now have no boat either. It was lost too.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Arming small but feisty third-world dictators...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 14, 2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Glockstar .40

Quote:
It always amazes me how many people divulge their personal information on the Internet thinking they are anonymous. Now days anything you post on the Internet, either in E-mails or Forums can be retrieved and used against you in a court of law. On other forums I have seen people post photos of their entire gun inventory, which I believe is just plain stupid.
Just my $0.02...............
You probably shouldn't be part of a gun forum then. Big brothers watching
Old August 14, 2014, 11:24 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

The main purpose of nearly all my guns is that I wanted to see what it was like to have one. A few are back-ups, or spares of guns I already have, which gives me an instant replacement if something happens to my usual gun, or something I can sell or trade, and still have my original gun.
Old August 14, 2014, 01:06 PM   #14
rock185

One of the Left's favorite terms, "Arsenal." I don't have one.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:06 PM   #15
SHE3PDOG

Something tells me that if I've done something wrong enough that my gun forum account is being monitored for evidence, they probably already know exactly what's in my safe. I couldn't possibly care less.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 14, 2014, 05:59 PM   #16
psyfly

Ya. I sometimes do some work for one of those fed agencies with clearance requirements. I'd be kidding myself to believe they don't already know everything about me they might want.

The kind of crook that might want what I have is too dumb to find me.
Old August 15, 2014, 12:07 AM   #17
gyvel

I have three guns:

A .22 single shot
A single shot 12 gauge
And a .30-30.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
SIFE
Old August 15, 2014, 02:49 AM   #18
dakota.potts

One for home/vehicle defense
One for training and maybe small game
One because it's powerful and ammo is cheap
One because I wanted a semi auto - it pulls secondary self defense and primary SHTF "Just in case" weapon duty.

All serve primary duty at the bench punching paper targets at distances of 10-100 yards
Old August 15, 2014, 05:39 AM   #19
spacecoast

Some fit into more than one category, but this is how I mentally classify them:
  • Guns with historical significance that are rarely or never shot, either because they won't shoot or I wouldn't want to chance damaging them by trying
  • Target shooting (competitive) guns
  • Fun / unusual / smile or conversation-inducing range guns
  • Guns that are easy and/or inexpensive to shoot (for training others)
  • Carry guns
  • Home / vehicle defense guns

Last edited by spacecoast; August 15, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:30 AM   #20
Skans

I have 2 pistols (mainly one) that I use for home/self defense. I have one 30-06 that I hunt with. One shotgun for skeet/sporting clays. And, then a couple of range guns.

The rest are for kicks and giggles. Sometimes I just like to set them up in my work-out room and have my own little private gun show! Just for me. Admission is free and sometimes it satisfies my "itch" to go out and buy another.