The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 18, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
wpcexpert

Killed a Jake this morning

I killed my first Spring Gobbler this morning. I had called in several for other folks but had never been the shooter when the time came. Between deployments, children's births, and work, I haven't done much Spring hunting. My dad didn't start Spring Gobbler hunting until I left for basic. I can run a mouth call very well. This morning was a run and gun.

I was sitting in the blind with decoys out. Calling a bit then I heard one Gobble about 250yds and up the hill. I called to him for about 10 minutes and he was answering, just not moving. So I decided to move closer. I grabbed a decoy and hustled. I would hit him about every 50 yds to make sure he was still there. The last time I hit hit, he gobbled, and he was less than 70yds. I staked the decoy and set up. I called, he answered several times. But then moved away. I picked up again and moved closer. I got to within another 70 yds. Called, he answered, and moved away. I figured he was with hens and was just following them. The last time I moved and set up I found he had moved again. But one answered down the hollar about 50 yds away. He came poking around up to about 30yds. Presented a shot...Jelly head. He was a young Jake, but I'll take him.

Now for the question Part:
I was hunting with a buddy. I had a good read on where the Tom I was chasing all over creation was. We jumped in the truck and went around behind him. Dropped down in the woods and yelped. He answered loud and proud about 80 yds away. I set up behind him and called a bit. He answered and was comming. He got to about 50yds, didn't present a shot and kept moving. Never strutted, just kept moving. It was like he was just cruising the ridges. Like a buck will cruise looking for doe. After he left our sight, he had gobbled a few more times. We tried to find him again but he shut up. I've never heard of Toms just cruising back and forth around looking for hens. He was heading back in the direction I had first heard him. WTH was he doing?
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 18, 2010, 09:16 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Two schools of thought on turkey hunting. Scientific types tell you a turkey isn't very bright. Experienced hunters feel otherwise. This tom figured you out before you figured him out, or maybe he was just lucky or chasing a hen he found more attractive than you. Good luck and be safe!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3
bcarver

turkeys

They are not smart. But... their instincts protect them well.
They expect the hen to come to them.
Turkeys being "Flock" natured want to be with other birds. (more eyes to see the coyotes and bobcats).
That is why gobblers gobble, to lure the hens.
The Boss gobble will fight the jakes to maintain his harem.
But when they get desperate(no hens) they will start to seek them out.
That is when you can call them and why jakes are easier to call.
Congrats on your bird.
Old April 19, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
crghss

I would venture a guess that he sensed something not right. That last 50 yds is the toughest. They just hear or see something.

Last turkey I played with came to with in 50 - 60 yds. Then a hen came from behind us. Ran past us 10 yds to our left to the Tom and they ran up over the ridge zig-zaging back and forth. Hen never made a sound. If we'd been in flat land and not seen the hen we'd never have known that a hen ran in and spoiled the hunt.
Old April 20, 2010, 01:05 PM   #5
bamaranger

If I could tell you....

Man, if I knew why turkeys did all the stuff they did, I'd write a book, and every frustrated turkey hunter ( and that's about all of us) would by it. I'd retire on the profit, buy 2000 acres of hardwood, manage it for deer and turkey, and live fat and happy.

I have seen the very behavior you describe, displayed by both single jakes and boss birds. Not often, but enough to agree with your theory. Cruisin'.
For a bird to do this, I believe he's got to be unpressured, as he reveals his location every time he sounds. If you can put a line on his travel, an ambush might be pending!!!! (free tip)

Pressured a bit, I think they still cruise, just silently and in full condition red.

It may be too, that the jakes were aware a Boss is in the area and were reluctant to go on a blind date for fear of meeting the Boss with the rest of the girls.

Congrats on your bird. My first was a jake as well, and I can see him coming clear as anything even today. I still don't mind taking a jake if the season is sparse or there seem to be plenty. Some folks put a stigma on it,..... and MS even protects jakes........but one now and again seems no harm to me. I wouldn't shoot a limit of teenagers though.

BTW, thanks for your service to our country.