The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
jeepster11

.223 loading question

i am loading some 223s using 55grain hornady fmjs full length resize and crimping. the issue i am having is they load and shoot fine but when i try to manually eject them without shooting them in my ar they are hard to eject and everything is measuring good anyone have any suggestions to why they may be doing this thanks in advance.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
farmerboy

what kind of AR? and does it do it with commercial rounds? Has trouble how -exactly?
Old September 12, 2011, 08:30 PM   #3
zippy13

Overall cartridge length? An off-the-wall possibility is that you're hitting/sticking in the lands when loading. This typically doesn't happen if loading an AR from the mag, but you didn't say that you're using an AR loaded from the mag. Nor is it typical with 55-gr bullets. Have you checked your chamber for obstructions?
Old September 12, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
medalguy

What kind of brass, are you sure you are FL sizing, dies set up correctly, what bullet, do you trim before loading, do you have a case gauge and are you using it?
Old September 12, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
full length resize and crimping
Do NOT crimp.

Back the seating die body off a full turn (or more), readjust the seater stem and do NOT crimp. See if that solves your problem.

There is a very good chance your crimping step (especially if combined with seating) is collapsing/bulging the shoulder a bit, creating a slight "jam fit" that the ejection sequence can handle under pressure, but that you notice if you try to pull the bolt back unfired.
Old September 13, 2011, 04:35 AM   #6
jeepster11

here is what im using

I'm shooting them out of a bushmaster ar 15 I don't have a case gage I'm using the barrell to check them that doesn't seem to be working I tried loading one without crimping and it worked great so why would that happen? And yes I am sure I am full length resizeing them I'm using a dillon rl550 b all the measurements are within spec could the crimp really mess it up like that? Thanks again I am going to try some more uncrimped and see if that's the problem
Old September 13, 2011, 04:50 AM   #7
NWPilgrim

You are probably over crimping and bulging the case neck or shoulder. If the bullets have a cannelure the case mouth should align with that. If you crimp you only need the very slightest amount to ease the case mouth into the cannelure a tad. Many of us when we started out tended to crimped too hard, just to be sure.

The more you reload the lighter you will crimp. Often the case neck tension is plenty to hold the bullet in place, but for semi-autos it is recommended to crimp in the cannelure to prevent potential setback from the bullet tip slamming into the feed ramp. I do not crimp bullets without a cannelure, such as the 68 and 75 gr BTHP. On the 55 gr and 62 gr FMJ and 60 gr Ballistic Tip I do crimp slightly. I have not had a problem with bullets easing out or set back into the case with either method.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 13, 2011, 06:56 AM   #8
steve4102

FL size a piece of fired brass, check to see if it fits the chamber and extracts with ease. If not you need to screw the FL die into the press until it does. If it fits then it's your seating/crimping process.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:09 AM   #9
mehavey

Quote:
I tried loading one without crimping and it worked great...
Don'cha jus' love it when a plan works out?

NWPilgrim said:
Quote:
You are probably over crimping and bulging the case neck or shoulder... case neck tension is plenty to hold the bullet in place...
Correctomundo. +1
Old September 13, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
jeepster11

Yes I love when they work like they should I. Going to try a few more today to see if that's my issue
Old September 13, 2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Charlie98

Do yourself a favor and get a case gauge... they are only $25 and really make reloading and die setup far easier... (than cycling live ammo through your rifle in the house...)