The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

About those AR-15 Pistol Braces

In case you're just tuning in, Sig Sauer started marketing an AR-15 pistol with a "stabilizing brace" that looks a bit like a short stock. As pictured here, it's designed to fit over the forearm.

The relevant word is designed. Since the weapon is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, it is not a rifle. It is a pistol.

People are claiming that the ATF, local law enforcement, or Bigfoot have been cruising public ranges and making arrests because some folks are using the brace as a stock. That's not true. They can't do that.

The ATF has classified this weapon as a pistol. Sticking it up to your shoulder does not turn it into a short-barreled rifle. In case you run into anyone who claims you're breaking the law, here's the response from the ATF themselves.
Old April 7, 2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Vireye

As a brief addition for anyone looking to buy one, they are listed as coming with a copy of the above posted letter, just as a handy insurance policy. I'd recommend keeping it with the weapon "just in case". Could make dealing with a LEO or otherwise who is ignorant of the ATF's classification of the brace just a little bit quicker.
Old April 7, 2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Theohazard

Yeah, I'm amazed that the "you can't legally shoulder an SB15" myth still persists. If it were true that the BATFE could regulate how you shoot your firearm, then it would also be illegal to use a two-handed grip on a pistol.

The official BATFE definition of a pistol includes the phrase "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand". But most people use two-handed grips when shooting pistols and it's perfectly legal, and that's because the BATFE can't control how you shoot a gun.

As trivial as it seems, I think it might be a good idea to sticky this thread (at least temporarily) considering how often this myth comes up and then has to be debunked.
Old April 7, 2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Sharkbite

I keep the "letter" that came with the brace in a baggie folded up in the pistol grip of my AR

Ive never had anyone ask about legality. In fact one Co State Trooper that saw the little beast said "wow... Thats cool"
Old April 7, 2014, 01:20 PM   #5
armoredman

Hmmm....SA vz-58 pistol in...AR stock adapter from Stormwerkz...add arm brace...see how it works all together.
Old April 8, 2014, 12:35 AM   #6
MagnumWill

Good stuff, I vote sticky.