The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2012, 01:21 PM   #51
misterE

Oh buckshot! Great job finding him!!!! What was it?
Old December 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #52
12GaugeShuggoth

Sorry in advance for long post.
Yep buckshot, just realized I didn't specify in my earlier post. Honestly I'm trying to get myself away from using it but it was just what I decided to load up with. He was just a two pointer. One long "cow-horn" and one little gnarled spike. I guess he broke it off and it regrew. I'm past "antler-hunting" and was just trying to top off the last bit of room left in the freezer. He had a decent sized body.

I normally go for does at this point of the season but we have been seeing very few of them so far. I think perhaps the very active coyotes we had last year might've put a hurt on the doe population during birthing season. It's made for a very heavy rut this season though, more scrapes and rubs than I can ever remember seeing. On that note, during our early muzzleloading season I scored with my biggest buck ever. Definitely one of those "right place, right time" deals.

Back on election day I returned to the house from voting and after eating some lunch decided to head out to the woods. I had my climber stand on my back and half way to my intended spot I realized the wind was shifting in exactly the wrong direction. So I changed direction and headed in to a different area. First time I had been in there this season. I slowly walked around and picked out a tree that would give me a good view of the downside of a hill that leads down to a creek. I got my stand hooked around the tree and climbed on, CVA Optima was on the ground attached to the stand with my rope. I made it about three "stand-steps" up the tree when I heard it......

I hear this crashing coming from exactly where my back is turned towards, so I quickly pulled my gun up and put a primer in, and turned around. I'm standing with my back against the tree and out from behind a holly tree comes a big ol' buck. Sniffing and snorting at the air, he stopped broadside right behind several little pine trees and just stood there. Here I am with the gun raised and sights lined up, shaking like a squirrel with ADD, and he just stands there sniffing and looking around. I shut my eyes and took a couple breaths and when I looked again he had made another step or two forward and I had a shot, no more than maybe 25 yards.

So I squeeze the trigger and smoke roars out of the gun, and just sits there. No breeze down there to clear it out. All I saw of the deer was a flash of tail as he took off. I got down on the ground and reloaded, and listened...... Nothing. Walked over and immediately found blood, and some very erratic tracks. After waiting about 30 minutes I followed and less than 50 yards away he's down for the count. Double lung shot and just barely clipped the top of the heart, 270 gr. Platinum Powerbelts with 100gr. Pyrodex. Around here he's a really nice buck, and a monster in my own book of personal experiences. 11 points, with some real tall G2's and a nice tall wavy left brow tine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11pointdownedit.jpg (191.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 11pointholdedit.jpg (171.7 KB, 49 views)

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE

Last edited by 12GaugeShuggoth; December 2, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: picture not loading
Old December 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #53
Gbro

I don't know why the name "The Chain Saw Buck" but i was given the photo by our Corporate Rep here at the CarQuest Store. he said this buck was taken by the BIL of his BIL and that the base of the antler's measured 10 inch in Cir.
37 points and he was sitting in a chair on a field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain Saw Buck-1.JPG (61.6 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Gbro; December 5, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:35 PM   #54
sc928porsche

Daughters first deer yesterday. Little 6pt whitetail. Approx. 80 yds. with 25-06. She is 11.

Yes, I'm 66, should have had my head examined 12 years ago!

Last edited by sc928porsche; December 3, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #55
jd3020

second day of deer season here in missouri at about 11:15 in the morning. Cold rainy/snow/sleet 65 yard shot with a ruger m77 hawkeye 270 with reloaded ammo and nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 bdc scope. dropped to the ground and never moved. 11 points total.photo (8).JPG

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old December 4, 2012, 09:40 PM   #56
12GaugeShuggoth

That's a neat looking set of antlers jd3020, congrats.

MOLON LABE
Old December 4, 2012, 09:53 PM   #57
jimbob86

Quote:
second day of deer season here in missouri at about 11:15 in the morning. Cold rainy/snow/sleet 65 yard shot with a ruger m77 hawkeye 270 with reloaded ammo and nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 bdc scope. dropped to the ground and never moved. 11 points total.photo (8).JPG
Slate grey coat, big ears, bi-furcated antlers .... at least a tetch of Mulie in him.....
Old December 4, 2012, 09:58 PM   #58
jd3020

thanks 12gauge the picture actually does the rack alot of good. It was a small basket rack but you know when your in the heat of the moment and your looking through the scope it looks huge. this next picture was a guy that found this deer near robinson ks.IMG_2895.jpg This next picture was during bow season in kansas. This was shot near wathena ks.IMG_7959.jpg

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old December 5, 2012, 03:23 PM   #59
warbirdlover

I got a doe. My SIL got this buck in his backyard...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lee-small4.jpg (186.3 KB, 148 views)
Old December 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #60
Legionnaire

Some very nice bucks in this thread! ^^
Old December 5, 2012, 10:41 PM   #61
12GaugeShuggoth

Holy smokes, the antler point counter skyrocketed on this page. That bow kill buck had some really impressive looking antlers IMO. Big and heavy without that all over the place look that sort of takes away from the appeal to me.

Oh, and that's definitely a nice backyard find for your SIL warbirdlover. We've got a pretty nice 8 pointer who comes out to eat the acorns in our back yard like clock-work but I just don't have the desire to kill him, too much fun watching him.

MOLON LABE
Old December 5, 2012, 11:47 PM   #62
warbirdlover

There's another 8 point buck (with an arrow in him) coming to my SIL's house. He's doing real well with that arrow so I just didn't want to shoot him. SIL can next year if he makes it.

I pay my lease money so I'll hunt that land, good or bad.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:55 AM   #63
hooligan1

How the hexk could a deer be doing real food if its walking around with an arrow in it. You guys should have killed that one, I would have relished the idea of taking a suffering animal out quickly and humanly. Shame on you wadbird.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:56 AM   #64
hooligan1

How the heck could a deer be doing real good if its walking around with an arrow in it. You guys should have killed that one, I would have relished the idea of taking a suffering animal out quickly and humanly. Shame on you wadbird.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:37 AM   #65
Jack O'Conner

I killed this doe in Maryland last month.

Jack

Old December 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #66
warbirdlover

I've seen numerous bucks taken during gun season with an arrow in them (not visible from outside) from the year before. Also know many rifle hunters that got cut up from gutting their buck and hitting an arrow in them. Their bodies grow like a grissle around the arrow and they heal. I will shoot a deer if someone has blown a leg off or similar. This buck wasn't doing good a week before (per the SIL) but is acting normal as could be now. He should survive. Probably will break or chew the arrow off sometime.

I see so many bowhunters that can't hit the side of the barn on tv. If you look close the arrows aren't hardly penetrating, they're hitting them in the guts etc. and then someone off camera finishes them off for them. I can only imagine the number of similar or worse bowhunters out in the woods. I'm sure that statement can also be made about rifle hunters also but arrows (IMHO) are less humane.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #67
Hunter Customs

Our rifle season has ended and I did not fill my doe tag.
Bought a couple of Savage 99s to hunt with this year. It felt good strolling through the woods still hunting, packing a Savage 99 with iron sights.
Brought back memories of past hunts when I was a younger man.

We have an alternate season that runs from Dec15 to Dec 25.
I don't have a muzzle loader, but this year they made it legal to hunt with a centerfire handgun during the alternate season.
So I guess I'll grab the 44mag out of the gun safe, blow the dust off it and go out and see if I can fill my doe tag.

I might also decide to use a 1911 in 45acp caliber, it would not be the first time I killed a deer with a 1911 45.

I hope the weather during alternate season is colder then it was during rifle season, it's hard for me to get enthused about deer hunting when it 70 plus degrees outside.

There's sure some great bucks pictured in this thread, congarts to all the shooters that filled their tags.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #68
warbirdlover

We had one day here last week in central Wisconsin 65º F in December! Then another day was 10º F. No snow for several years during gun season. Must be global warming.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:17 AM   #69
shortwave

^^ Same here.

The weather in our week long gun season was just crazy. First two mornings, woke up to 20 and 17 degrees with highs of mid 20's. Last part of the week woke up to 45-50 degree's with high's in the mid 60's.

Gutted two doe Sat. morning about 11 am, sweating in T-shirt and hunter orange vest. It was 67 deg.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:29 AM   #70
WWWJD

My two-fer.... got these two with the same bullet.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 7, 2012, 10:44 AM   #71
Hunter Customs

WWWJD,

Two deer with one shot, good shooting.

With the high cost of ammunition that's the way to stretch those ammunition dollars.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 7, 2012, 05:38 PM   #72
cnimrod

Congrats all

Son and I can relate to 12gauges' experience first time in my 30 years I had to come back the next morn for one. Son and I got upstateNY Saturday and unfortunately found a 4ptr roadkill in our field, least we think it was, no bullet holes in the front half and coyotes already got the back end.
Up the hill and spotted some does no chance for a shot. Hunted all day Sunday
not even a squirrel - too war mhere nothing was moving. Out again Monday and
hiked to the back side of the hill where my got his last doe 2 years ago,
perfect spot but with all the blowdowns from Hurricane Sandy it was gonna be a tough drag if we got one. Well just before dark I hear him shoot and when I get over there no deer in sight and he's looking for blood. Finally find sign and track it 100yds down the far side of the hill with one sick flashlight (so much for being prepared
After hearing her crash around in the thick brush and light fading we decided to
come back in the AM and hopefully find her bled out. So after another 100 yd
tracking job we thankfully found her. He'd hit her a little low and back prob
just nicked one lung and the liver. With the heat she was already bloating so
dressing was an adventure (argh)
Well at least we got venison in the freezer now.
Congrats again all and best of luck to you all in your future hunting endeavors.
and a Merry Christmas too
Old December 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #73
jimbob86

Quote:
I've seen numerous bucks taken during gun season with an arrow in them (not visible from outside) from the year before.
In 2000, my deer had a triangular scar on one side of his chest and a large keloid (mass of scar tissue) hanging off the other side .... the arrow evidently passed through and the holes healed over......

...this poor buck had pretty hard luck in the year before I shot him: he also was evidently hit by a car in late summer/early fall, as the left side of his antlers were damaged while still in velvet ( all points broken off the main beam and healed over) and the front left leg and shoulder were severely bruised (green and purple).....
Old December 7, 2012, 10:26 PM   #74
LOUD

I killed two nice deer this season . A six pointer and a nice nine pointer that I called Bullwinkle.The daughter and I are going to see if we cant get her a nice buck inthe morning..........LOUD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (177.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (104.1 KB, 32 views)
Old December 20, 2012, 07:32 PM   #75
12GaugeShuggoth

Had some good luck today. A wet cold front is moving in and I thought it would be a good time to get my climber stand out of the woods, so I went there at about 2:15 and figured I'd sit for the afternoon. I hadn't been in the tree more than 30 minutes when I heard something coming, and out walks this doe. Stood perfectly broadside at about 40 yards or so, and BLAM goes the 535. Perfect bang-flop. No jumping, no kicking, no flailing on the ground.......bang, flop, death wheeze.

I love those Winchester Platinum-Tip slugs, and they're the most accurate slugs I've tried in my 535. On the far side of where the deer was standing, there was about a 10-12 foot long splash of blood and hair from the slug making its' exit. Every deer I've shot with them have bang-flopped. This one fills up the last little bit of room I had in the freezer, so I'm done for this season. Been a good one, time to kick back with a cold one and wait for the end of the world, or whatever is supposed to happen.

MOLON LABE

Last edited by 12GaugeShuggoth; December 20, 2012 at 07:46 PM.