The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
JimDandy

Catching Brass, and copper fouling in the barrel?

I've got a 1911 that throws the brass almost straight up, making collecting the brass before it hits the ground with a brass catcher problematic. I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions that would be less intrusive at a range than surrounding myself with 5 gallon buckets. I'd like to start reloading this stuff, if for no other reason than it being such a pain finding it in stock lately.

Second, I keep cleaning the thing, but the rifling in the barrel seems to stay copper colored. I started with just a boresnake, and have tried patches and brushes now. I tired using Hoppe's copper solvent over the #9 and that actually helped some. Is what I'm trying to clean normal and "uncleanable" without letting OCD take over and wear out the barrel early? Or am I just behind because the boresnake didn't take care of what I'm trying to clean, and will have to do this a few times to get through the layers?
Old October 16, 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
lmccrock

Sounds like your range does not let you keep brass if it hits the ground? 1911 ejector tuning is a thread to itself. Can't help with that.

I do not get out much because I have never had copper in a pistol barrel. Be sure not to use copper solvent then run a bronze brush through it since the brush has copper and it will always streak through the solvent. I keep some plastic brushes around for this. Oh, bore snakes are ok for quick clean at the range but not for problem situations.

What cartridge? Wondering about velocities.

Maybe the barrel is rough. Chemical methods will loosen the copper, let it soak (follow the directions on the bottle), with *gentle* scrubbing and swabbing.

Good luck.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3
drail

The extractor is probably a short one, right? Angled so that the cases are struck on the bottom? That's why they're going up. Try an extended ejector. It will probably be too long and will need to be filed shorter. Adjust the angle of the face so the case is struck higher up and they should start exiting the port more to the side. Is your ejection port lowered and flared. You may want to have that mod done to give the cases more port opening to get through. Asfaras copper fouling goes, the best solvent I have found is Sweet's 7.62 copper solvent. It is very concentrated. I plug one end of the barrel and mop it in heavily with a Q tip. DO NOT leave it in the barrel for more than 15 minutes. Keep rotating the barrel so the solvent covers all of the inside. Wipe it out with patches. If there is still copper in the grooves repeat. Make sure to get all of the Sweet's out and then oil the bore and run a patch through it. If you can't find Sweet's you can use ammonia from your grocery store. DO NOT leave it in there very long and get it all out when you're done. Most factory barrels will retain some copper in the corner of the grooves. It's not worth the effort to get all of it out. Be sure to keep the bore lightly oiled all of the time. You should get into the habit of running a dry patch through before you shoot.

Last edited by drail; October 16, 2012 at 09:00 AM.