The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 11, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Brasscatcher84

Fanny Pack Holster for S&W M&P Compact 9

After two years out of the military, I've taken up running again for exercise (always hated it!). I need a good quality fanny pack or similar style holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. I need to be able to wear it over a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt comfortably, without it bouncing around a lot. I'd also like a place for an extra 12 round mag if possible. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm also open to other nonfanny pack ideas.
Old August 11, 2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Spammy_H

Here's another idea:

http://www.shado.com/Apparel/Concealment-T-Shirt.html
Old August 11, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Brasscatcher84

Thanks for the input. I looked at the Concealment T-shirt, but I would be wearing it under a tshirt, not a button down, and it seems as though it would be awkward to draw from in an emergency.
Old August 11, 2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Brasscatcher84

Thanks for the input. I looked at the Concealment T-shirt, but I would be wearing it under a tshirt, not a button down, and it seems as though it would be awkward to draw from in an emergency.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
oldandslow

84, 8/12/11

I've been running five miles uphill twice a week for the past fourteen years and routinely carry my pistol in a waist pack from www.theconcealmentshop.com. If you click on their pistol pack section they have many different sizes and colors. I use one of the smaller sizes to carry a small 9mm or .45. The quality is good and the prices reasonable. Good luck and stay fit.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old August 11, 2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Brasscatcher84

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Do you find that the pack wears well? Does it bounce around much as you run?
Old August 11, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I'm a runner too and really your only choice is a fanny pack. Any type of concealment shirt would likely allow the gun to bounce too much as you run. Plus, if you sweat like I do, you'd want your gun secured away from having direct contact with your skin.
Old August 13, 2011, 09:10 PM   #8
oldandslow

84, 8/14/11

Regarding the bouncing of the waist-pack while running. It is not even noticeable when carrying a plastic or aluminum framed pistol. Once however I forgot my regular running pistol and had to use what was available from a recent range trip. It was an all steel SW third generation .45 which was quite heavy. It did bounce a bit more than my usual pistols and tended to hit some sensitive areas in the groin. But with my regular pistols there are no worries with the bouncing.

best wishes- oldandslow