The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Shrinkmd

Anyone use the new Hornady "lead" Powder through expanders?

I see that they are in the Midway catalog, and went from saying "not yet available" to "out of stock". Did they actually get a shipment of them in? No one rated them yet on the website, so it is unclear.

I use the PTX expander, and although it works well, I sometimes worry about over belling the cases, and would be interested in seeing what Hornady came up with to make it more foolproof.

On a side note, I discovered that my 45 shell plate and 31 shellplate must differ slightly, since my PTX setting for 45AR brass is not deep enough for regular 45acp on the #45 plate. I'm almost tempted to get yet another lower assembly, so I can have one preset for 45 acp and another for 45AR. So I was hoping that the Hornady "lead" expander would solve this problem.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Shrinkmd

OK, no replies at all. But when they came into MidwayUSA, I ordered a bunch of the new ones.

Interesting that no one has commented on them on Midway yet, but I have them sitting in front of me, and the new model numbers match Hornady's website. It also looks like now the original versions were discontinued (at least on Midway) and that the new ones don't say "for lead bullets" but just say the size and "powder through expander."

It looks like Hornady heard people's complaints and did something about it.

I will report back when I try them out, hopefully later this weekend.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Sounds like a good plan, looking forward to your report.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 30, 2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Ed_

I called hornady about a month and a half ago and they said they [Hornady] had them but had not shipped any to their vendors yet. I was not going to purchase the LNL until they came out and I seen some reviews. [I only use home cast lead bullets. ] Then I came across a device called a Powder Funnel which had raving reviews so I then ordered a powder funnel and the LNL. I suspect the Hornady PTX for lead must of had problems in their testing.
The Powder Funnel works great for belling the cases.

Ed
Old October 30, 2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Shrinkmd

I currently use the PTX powder funnel, and it works fine, but sometimes there are some difficulties getting it set just right. I have noticed on the LNL AP press that when you have a case going into the resizing die, the other dies don't go as far down as when you are running one piece of brass around all the stations to set it up. My bullet seater usually has to be adjusted about 0.003-0.005 deeper than the initial set up, and then the last few that come off the press at the end of a batch can be a few thousandths deeper than the rest. I've managed to adjust my seater and crimp dies to handle this problem, but for some bizarre reason with the PTX expander I seem to go from not enough belling to too much, depending on the headstamp of the brass I'm loading.

So for a huge batch of the same headstamp, I can get the setting just right, but for loading mixed brass, the PTX expander sometimes doesn't bell enough. So I am hoping that the Hornady design will work well even on mixed batches of brass.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:47 AM   #6
TXGunNut

Could case length variations be a cause here? I use same headstamp brass to help ensure a consistent crimp in straight-wall pistol cases and it seems a difference in case length would result in a difference in flaring as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Shrinkmd

That is probably part of the problem as well, but I notice that different brands of brass feel different when they go in the sizing die. Some require a little more effort than others, and I've noticed that that can correspond to how well the universal PTX works. Let's hope that Hornady got it right this time. I'm hoping to get to the bench later today or tomorrow. I have some 38 wadcutter bevel base bullets which require the flat seater stem and a good bell (almost too much) to go in without smearing and shaving lead everywhere. If those work nicely with the new Hornady PTX, I will be pleased.
Old October 30, 2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Shrinkmd

So far, so good

A preliminary report:

I took out the new PTX for 357. It says .358A on the expander. The instructions say that the powder insert needs to bottom out against the top of the cast powder measure (a difference from the original instructions, if memory serves me correctly). When I adjusted it without anything in the first station, it worked ok, but when I then put another case into station 1 for resizing, it did NOT bottom the powder insert against the top of the slot. Another twist or so and now it does. I tried loading my 148 WC bullets into the case mouths and seated a few, and so far, so good.

Maybe later in the weekend I will actually get the press loading the rounds "for real" and see how we do as far as shaving lead, making a mess, etc.

I did have one strange thing happen. I ruined one case mouth, it seemed like the insert wasn't centered properly, and when I pulled the handle it crumpled the case mouth. That only happened once, and then after that it seemed to work fine.

So, I wouldn't run out and order them just quite yet, but it is encouraging, especially compared to the original ones which didn't even get this far on my press.
Old November 10, 2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Shrinkmd

9mm and 38 Special working well

I have used the .355 and the .358 expanders to good effect so far. You have to spin your powder measure past where the powder stem bottoms against the frame to get enough belling of the case. At first I was still getting some lead shaving, but I turned the measure another turn or so in the bushing, and then it was working well. It seems like the case is expanded deep, but not wide, if you get what I mean. You can start the bullet going in nicely, and it will stand up straight, so there is no chance of it getting shaved or making a mess. But it doesn't seem like the case mouth is getting overly flared. It's just enough diameter to get the bullets in, but then more depth than the PTX unit, so you can really get the bullet started. If you use it, you will see what I mean.

I made up a batch of 9mm last night, and once I got it figured out right I had zero lead or lube smearing. The rounds look great, and went easier into the case gauge or the barrel. Hopefully they shoot well, too.
Old November 11, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10
PAdutchman

I use the expander bushing in my Hornady L-N-L powder measure for 9mm, 38 special, 40 S&W, 45LC, and 45ACP so I can use a powder cop die. All work fine for me.