The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
GeauxTide

What's a little stupid among friends?

For the first time in 40 years of loading, I stuck a case in a die. The price of the remover was half the cost of new dies, so I ordered some new dies.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
MDS

That's a pretty good record. If you search, there's a thread around here where you can use tools you already probally have for a stuck case.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
bedlamite

Get some 1/4-20 threaded rod, a 1/4-20 nut, a couple 1/4 fender washers, and a 1" long piece of 1/2" conduit. (5/16 and 3/4 conduit for the really big cases)

Back out the decap pin from the die as far as possible (remove it if it's a straight wall case), drill and tap the case through the primer hole for 1/4-20, thread in the rod, drop the conduit spacer and fender washers over the rod, then tighten the nut to pull the case out.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
farmerboy

If it's an RCBS, you can send the die to them and they'll remove it and send the die back to you.
Old December 31, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
mongoose33

Home-made stuck case remover

Someone sent me an instruction sheet on this last year, can't remember who, and can't find the sheet. So here's my own version of it:

What you need to buy:

1/2" socket (1/4" drive)
1/4" x 1" machine bolt
1/4" tap
13/64" drill bit (came with tap)
1/4" x 1 1/2" Washer (or thereabouts)

Step one is to back out the decapping mandrel so you don't drill it. You don't have to remove it--just withdraw it enough that you can drill the hole through the case head.

Place the die in a vise or something to hold it steady. Then drill out the primer pocket w/ the 13/64" drill, and tap the hole:

Push the bolt through the washer and socket, like so, and thread it into the newly tapped hole:

Use a wrench to tighten the bolt, and it will draw the case out of the die, like so:

I had to cut off the end of the shell so as to be able to remove the expander ball, but you could also cut off the head of the shell.

It works--I've pulled several stuck cases with it.
Old December 31, 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I had to cut off the end of the shell so as to be able to remove the expander ball, but you could also cut off the head of the shell
You can also remove the 'remover' from the die and case, and juggle the assembly back into a single stage press. There is usually enough of a rim left on the case to give the shell holder enough grip to get it back over the expander ball. The key is making sure you have everything loosened up enough to get everything back into position, before retightening the expander. (So you don't mess up the threads.)

It sounds like a pain, but is usually faster than cutting.
Old December 31, 2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Well, there's stuck and there's Stuck.

That homemade puller and the RCBS and other commercial versions have been around in one form or another for quite a time. I've used them twice, and in both instances found they simply tore the heads off the cases. Mine must have been Stuck.

I strongly recommend that if you intend to use one, you make it your business to freeze the die before putting the wrench to the bolt. Brass contracts more than steel when freezing, so this reduces the friction the remover has to overcome.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 31, 2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Randy 1911

Good advise Unclenick. I would not have thought of doing that. So far I have been lucky and not stuck a case. If I feel more resistance than normal, I stop and remover the case and re-lube.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:44 PM   #9
GeauxTide

Thanks, All

This forum is simply the BEST.