The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
kentucky_smith

New Gold Cup

You all may not know this, but there's this little company up in Ct. that makes decent 1911-type pistols.

Just bought, fairly recent build. No frame rub of note after 250 rounds, very tight, shoots as well as any 1911 I've shot yet (including my Clackamas Kimber). Ran right out of the box with the 16.5# spring. Has a great trigger pull. Colt seems to have quit using the Elliason rear sights, note mine are Champions.

Will be replacing the grips with stag or bone, otherwise, I'm leaving this one alone.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Brian48

The Champions are a more solidly built sight anyway. I won't miss the Elliasons.

This is a strange Gold Cup though. Are you the first owner or did someone do some work on this? First, it's got the same hammer and grip safety as the older Enhanced series, but not the undercut on the trigger guard. Also, it uses the newer aluminum wide trigger versus the steel one. Since the aluminum trigger is lighter than the steel one, I assume this gun does not use the more complicated sear depressor mechanism found in the older guns.

In any case, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the GC family.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
kentucky_smith

Bought new. It's quite a bit different than my 1978 Series 70 GC I had, but this one already runs better and the rollmarks aren't crooked.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Sweet.
One note, if it hasn’t been done yet have a good gunsmith peen the roll pin on the rear sight, it will come out in the near or distant future.