The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
mrawesome22

Hodgdon contradicts themselves

I just realized that Hodgdon's website starting H110 loads for 454Casull contraditcs what their book says.

From the Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual 2007: "H110 loads should not be reduced more than 3%. Reduce H110 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 if reduced too muchwill cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (barrel obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders."

Now, for one example of a few contradictions on their data site. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I'll use the 240gr bullet, H110 load. The max load is listed at 38.2gr. O.K. 38.2(.97) = 37.054. That rounds to 37.1gr should be the start charge, right?

Wrong. Their start charge is listed at 36gr

Has anyone ever contacted Hodgdon about this? I hate to be such a stickler, but I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if I can get some answers.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
ForneyRider

Good to be a stickler for that stuff.

Maybe they have errata on their site.

I try to hit as many loading data as I can before I start. Websites, books, flyers, forums, etc.

For a lot of load data for H110 and magnum pistol loads, the loads are near 100% full.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome22
Has anyone ever contacted Hodgdon about this? I hate to be such a stickler, but I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if I can get some answers.
So what did they have to say?
Old April 17, 2008, 03:39 PM   #4
45Colt_Man

They are refering to the STARTING load data. Not the difference between start and max.
Read their warning again.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Bullet94

I believe Hodgdon is talking about not reducing MAX loads by more than 3%. What did Hodgdon say?