The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

Trashpassers

There is a bunch of yahoos that hunt the adjoining property. Nearly every year they take pot shots and wound deer then spend the day trapesing all over the property I am trying to hunt. They run under our stands and shoot at any thing that moves. They put up a bunch of sings on the property line to not tresspass, then run all over ours. They have stolen stands, set up stands on our property, shot deer way over the property line and are an extreme nusuance. The owner of the adjoining property has a rep for being a bully and an ahole. My friend that owns the property is too timid to confront the bullies. I dont own the property and my timid friend tipicaly doesnt want me to start trouble. I say if your being treated like that, you have already got big trouble. What is the proper way to handel tresspasers that you know are gona be aholes when your hunt is being ruined on property that you dont own? I take time off work once a yr to deer hunt and I have had my fill of uterly selfish arrogant tresspasers. I know this has to be a frequent type of problem. What to do without going to jail? I work very hard to take the high road in life, but am tired of trash ruining it for everybody else. Not just in hunting either. I would love to hear from those of you who have sucsessfully delt with the cretians I call trashpassers.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.

Last edited by Ammo Junky; November 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 17, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

Happened to a stretch of property my father owns a few years ago. I even got shot at once while I was bowhunting on my fathers property by a relative of the adjoining owner. Needless to say a call to the local game warden fixed the prolem of both the landowner and the relative at that point. Relative now can not hunt or own a fire arm in the state of SD (because he was trespassing, attempting to poach, etc...). Landowner did cause a little bit of a ruckus, but we remedied that by having myself, my brother and a couple of friends (all of us are ex military with combat arms mos's/afsc's) post along the property line the next deer season. We all wore camo and stayed concealed and had walkie talkies to stay in touch. When the landowner and a few of his buddies were chasing deer and crossed the property line we all converged on them and held them there until the county sherrif and game warden showed up. They got hit for tresspassing and one guy got a weapons violation for hunting with a semi auto with a mag capacity greater than 5 rounds (was using an sks with a 10 rd mag). Landowner ended up selling his property a few years later and the new folks don't hunt and won't let anybody hunt on their property so now we don't have any more yahoos tearing down our fences and leaving the gates open.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 18, 2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Ammo Junky

UF, thanks for the story. That must have felt great!

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old November 18, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd definitely contact the local game-warden folks, and file a complaint with the Sheriff's office.

Art
Old November 19, 2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Mannlicher

I chased off two young boys yesterday from the farm that I hunt. Called the Sheriff and game warden, but they did not catch them. We have this all the time there.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 23, 2006, 09:11 PM   #6
deerslayer79

I have some of them jackasses hunting next to me,those yahoo's hunt out of a camper strategically placed on a loggin road 60yds away from our property line that runs parrallel to my food plot,every year they shoot everyday 10-12 times a day at deer that cross the road to feed on my foodplot,the funny thing is that I have seen them haul out maybe 4 or 5 deer a year,and the largest I seen was probably 100lbs live weight.I try to be polite with these guys,and try to press the issue of some type of ethics,the response I got is that those deer they attempt to shoot are thier deer.I have contacted D+R but they said there is nothing they can do.So here's the deal if they screw me again,sorry when they screw me up again,me and my pop are going to send them a bill for the amount of food plot seed,fuel,and a bill for for the amount of damage THEIR deer have done to our crops this year.HA HA, let the games begin!!!
Old November 24, 2006, 07:54 AM   #7
whiskey

????

Quote:
I have some of them jackasses hunting next to me,those yahoo's hunt out of a camper strategically placed on a loggin road 60yds away from our property line that runs parrallel to my food plot,every year they shoot everyday 10-12 times a day at deer that cross the road to feed on my foodplot,the funny thing is that I have seen them haul out maybe 4 or 5 deer a year,and the largest I seen was probably 100lbs live weight.I try to be polite with these guys,and try to press the issue of some type of ethics,the response I got is that those deer they attempt to shoot are thier deer
They are shooting deer on their property, right? I don't see the problem.

I would shoot deer leaving my property same as I would shoot deer walking on to my property.

You choose to have a food plot, how is your neighbor at fault for shooting deer that leave his property to come eat you food?

Ammo Junky,

I understand hunting next to yahoos. Our neighbors used our road to post their property against us! Call the local game warden and invite him to come hang around your property during the time that your neighbors are hunting. MAke sure your property is posted. In Florida it is a FELONY to trespass on posted property with a firearm. If you don't post the property then the warden will likely have to issue a warning and then catch them again before he can arrest them. If you have an agricultural exeption for you land and you are using it to grow crops or cattle or trees for income then you have more options.
Old November 24, 2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
They put up a bunch of sings on the property line to not tresspass, then run all over ours.
Right, those signs do not preclude them from leaving their own property.

Quote:
I take time off work once a yr to deer hunt and I have had my fill of uterly selfish arrogant tresspasers.
Without being told by the property owner/manager/agent (your friend) and no signs, the guys in question may no more be trespassing in the eyes of the law than you.

Quote:
They have stolen stands,
You have knownledge of crimes being committed somewhere other than on your friend's property and are not reporting it?

Quote:
I dont own the property and my timid friend tipicaly doesnt want me to start trouble. I say if your being treated like that, you have already got big trouble.What is the proper way to handel tresspasers that you know are gona be aholes when your hunt is being ruined on property that you dont own? I take time off work once a yr to deer hunt and I have had my fill of uterly selfish arrogant tresspasers. I know this has to be a frequent type of problem. What to do without going to jail? I work very hard to take the high road in life, but am tired of trash ruining it for everybody else. Not just in hunting either. I would love to hear from those of you who have sucsessfully delt with the cretians I call trashpassers.
Right. YOU don't own the property. YOU have been asked by the owner who is LETTING you hunt the property NOT to start trouble. So it appears that you want to be a hero to your friend who doesn't want a hero and run off bullies your friend has asked you NOT to start trouble with just so that you can hunt on the land your friend is LETTING you hunt in which you have a long drive investment.

In short, you seem to put a higher value on your guest hunting of your friend's property than on that of your friendship. You are soliciting help here in what seems to be to learn how to learn ways to get back at the neighbors of the exploited friend, ways that are not illegal, but ways that your friend does not want you implementing.
Old November 24, 2006, 10:43 AM   #9
castnblast

We had that same problem...There are some houses that border the property we lease. The people blatently hunt our stands in the front of the property, mostly during the middle of the week. We know this because we have found the following items:
1. cigarrette butts...no one in our group smokes.
2. Mickeys Malt liqour bottles...we don't drink that stuff.
3. A hat that does not belong to any of us.

SO...There are power poles that run the length of our property. We put up some old cameras on the power poles that we bought for a few $ that don't work. We hung signs on the perimeter that said no trespassing, property under surveilance. No more poachers that we are aware of.
Old November 24, 2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

Game cameras, placed stratigically around the borders,(preferably aimed at the NO TRESPASSING signs, seem to work very well. They will record the time, and date, as well as a great picture of the trespasser. Since most of the time, we know who he is, we mail them a copy of the picture, along with a nicely worded letter, that explains we have sent a copy of the picture to the sherriff's department, as well as the local game ranger, and have asked them to keep an eye open for tresspassers. This seems to work well, because you hardly ever see them again. ( Don't sign the letter, and the trespasser has no idea who sent it. All he knows is that he got caught.)

Place your cameras in a well hidden location, and turn off the flash, since most trespassing happens during the day. This will keep anyone from shooting them or stealing them.
Old November 24, 2006, 01:29 PM   #11
shootagainitsmoving

poachers

The game camera idea works well but the cheap idea i use is put up signs that say TRAPS. The poacher does not know where or if they are there,if he is hunting with dogs he will even more unlikely to mess around and hunt in on me.
Old November 24, 2006, 07:30 PM   #12
deerslayer79

hey whiskey,I don't have a problem that they are shooting deer that are going to feed on my food plot,but I do have a problem with them be selfish and ignorant on the fact that they believe that nobody can shoot the deer but them,and the fact that they are just slinging lead to ruin my chances of shooting at deer that supposedly belong to them,do the math,who shoots on average 20-30 times a week and only kill 4 or 5 deer,it seems to me they shoot so ****ty that they don't need to be hunting,or they just want to screw up everyone else.