The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
reildeal

Low and Left.

Hey all, I have become aware of an inherent problem when shooting my .45. It is a S&W 457 with a 3 3/4" barrel. Before I get to the problem, I would like to ask how far this gun should be accurate to(and by accurate, what distance should I still be able to get decent groups with it).

Now, my problem. I am constantly shooting low and left with this thing. I don't flinch, keep my eyes on target through the entire pull and shot, but am consistently putting shots low and left where my aim is at. Does anyone know right off of the top of their head what I might be doing wrong? I have been putting forth a lot of effort on a smooth trigger pull, and keeping the gun steady and on target throught the entire pull. I'm guessing that it might be that split second that the trigger drops the hammer? Any help is appreciated.
Old February 7, 2005, 04:05 PM   #2
CrazyTrain

I do the same thing
Old February 7, 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Baxter

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t=anticipation
Old February 7, 2005, 04:24 PM   #4
reildeal

Thanks a bunch Baxter. Guess I should have done a search. The link was a big help. Going to work on it at the range tonight.
Old February 7, 2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

Try this I also have a left handed one. This if for right handers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Target Analisys.pdf (243.6 KB, 49 views)
Old February 8, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Baxter

THR also had a thread on this: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=123821

Quote:
When shooting r/h, make SURE that your trigger-finger is not making contact with the handgun anywhere else but with the pad of the fingertip on the face of the trigger THROUGHOUT the trigger pull. Sometimes, our trigger finger placement gets sloppy and the trigger finger winds up "resting" (bearing) on the frame. As the trigger finger contracts, it induces lateral Left pressure on the frame, which causes the front sight, hence the shot, to go left.

Have enough of the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger. Make CERTAIN that you are pressing the trigger back in a straight line toward the the rear. (Some folks have a tendency to press the trigger slightly sideways (Left lateral force), causing the muzzle to torque to the left and down.)

Having too much of the trigger finger on the trigger can result in the finger exerting lateral force on the trigger to the RIGHT and (perhaps) down. (See if your trigger finger is curled around the trigger.)

Make sure that when you are pressing the trigger, only the trigger finger is moving. A common problem is sympathetic contraction of the rest of the shooting hand, causing sighting variations. Olympic shooters spend hours just practicing this with and without a gun in their hand.

Needess to say, critical dry-firing, esp. with a coach, will go a long way to improve your shooting skills.
I've got the same problem.