The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 18, 2012, 12:28 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"plus the land tax on my property."

Uhm... why?

The deer are going to be there whether you own the property or not.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The deer are going to be there whether you own the property or not.
But if that is where you are hunting, then that may be part of your hunting expense, especially if you bought land for that purpose.

It is sort of like the cost of the hunting lease. The deer will be there whether you lease the property or not, but it is part of your expenses to hunt there.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Stressfire

As with almost any hobby - the math is not your friend
Old October 18, 2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ok I took it to mean that he owned the property to live there.

Old October 18, 2012, 02:19 PM   #30
Deja vu

I butcher it my self. I would have this land even if I did not hunt so that is not an issue. I would also have the gun and the ammo.

So basically I am paying for the licence and tag and a few spices.

I typically turn most of the deer into Jerky. That is the only way the kids will eat it. I smoke it with apple wood from my back yard There is also the cost of Propane to run the smoker and then my time processing the meat.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 18, 2012, 03:11 PM   #31
publius

Don't even want to think about it. Going to get a beer and try to forget this.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:02 PM   #32
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Mike Irwin said: "plus the land tax on my property. Uhm... why? "
The property (160 acres) was bought for hunting purposes to begin with. Not to farm. Not to be logged off. Just to have a place for my son and I to enjoy our favorite pastime. (hunting) Why not add this property's tax into the mix of deductions.
BTW. The land is not my residence of record. It is 100% wild with no structures or fencing on it. i.e. just a nice 1/2 mile X 1/2 mile square place for peace and quiet this family appreciates having. _
Old October 18, 2012, 04:11 PM   #33
RevGeo

If I am lucky enough to be lying peacefully on my death bed surrounded by my loving family and friends my thoughts will surely be on the things I did, not the amount of money I have made or spent. I don't remember the cost of my many big game hunts, or the steelhead fishing or snowshoeing a trapline or piloting a Pacific City dory from Depoe Bay Oregon up the coast to the Columbia River and across the bar into Astoria....Or the beautiful women in my life or the feeling of riding a big street bike over thousands of miles of highway or playing a guitar for thousands of people in the audience...
How can people reduce their lives to dollars and cents? Makes no sense.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Deja vu

Quote:
If I am lucky enough to be lying peacefully on my death bed surrounded by my loving family and friends my thoughts will surely be on the things I did, not the amount of money I have made or spent. I don't remember the cost of my many big game hunts, or the steelhead fishing or snowshoeing a trapline or piloting a Pacific City dory from Depoe Bay Oregon up the coast to the Columbia River and across the bar into Astoria....Or the beautiful women in my life or the feeling of riding a big street bike over thousands of miles of highway or playing a guitar for thousands of people in the audience...
That is one of the best posts I have read in a while.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 18, 2012, 04:52 PM   #35
jimbob86

Last year I spent a bit over $300 on gas and maybe $50 processing supplies (freezer paper, saran wrap, tape........ bought some new plastic tubs, too) $60-70 on permits, 14 bucks for beef tallow .... butchered 7 deer,, 4 turkeys, a pheasant and a couple of quail in 10 days, ...... 4 of the deer were small (Sunday Orphan Patrol), while 3 were mature bucks (one was huge)..... the small ones yielded probably 40 pounds of meat, the others on the order of twice that. Approx 120 lbs of deer and a turkey went home with my brother..... leaving me with a freezer of venisonand turkey for about $450...... about $2/lb. Considering the local butcher shop charged me $1.40/lb for beef tallow, not bad.

This year I can't swing the gas, so I'll be hunting local ..... I don't imagine we'll be as successful.....
Old October 18, 2012, 05:29 PM   #36
Jo6pak

I'll quote my father one this one

"Never add up the price of your passions. No matter what the cost, you always come out ahead."
Old October 18, 2012, 10:28 PM   #37
Chaz88

Quote:
just a nice 1/2 mile X 1/2 mile square
If it is 1/2 mile square and you only paid for 160 acres you got a heck of a good deal. An extra 160 for free!

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:03 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

Quote:
And the other question is, why cant we write it off on our taxes?
You can, as long as you classify it as a "hobby expense" and your total hobby expenses account for at least 10% of your adjusted gross income.

As for cost...
I figured this year's Elk cost me about $2.37/lb, including the cost of an unfilled cow tag. (that's cheaper than the lowest grade ground beef, around here)
But... there were also 4 hunters that came back empty-handed, and 1 non-hunter, with their own costs. And, if it had been a Deer, the cost per pound would have quadrupled, just for starters. -For Deer, the families (yes, multiple ) would have come along. Plus there's much less meat.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:34 AM   #39
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The property (160 acres) was bought for hunting purposes to begin with."

See, you didn't mention that in your OP, so I assumed that you were living on the property.

Old October 19, 2012, 09:04 AM   #40
jimbob86

Quote:
For Deer, the families (yes, multiple ) would have come along.
The beauty of the Nebraska $6 youth tag! .... 2 deer, 6$ ... and the kid can get 2 tags.....

But finding a deer rifle and load that 11 year old girls can manage well is ....tricky.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Heh. No matter the per-pound cost, deer and elk are cheep, cheep, cheep compared to those dove-birds.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #42
Saltydog235

Quote:
Excellent post.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:32 AM   #43
spacecoast

Quote:
If it is 1/2 mile square and you only paid for 160 acres you got a heck of a good deal. An extra 160 for free!
A square mile is 640 acres, so indeed 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile is 160 acres.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:40 AM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
A square mile is 640 acres, so indeed 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile is 160 acres.
The Math is not your friend, Spacecoast.

1/2 of 640 is 320.

I grew up in open farm county..... a field or pasture was "a section", "a 1/2", "a quarter", "an 80", or "that little strip/scrap"..... a "quarter" is 160 acres, or 1/4 of a section, which is a square mile, 640 acres.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:24 AM   #45
Husqvarna

It is to the point that I can't justify the cost without the meat.

Luckily most of the big time meat hunting (read moose) is a shared endeaver, everybody that participates gets a equal part of the meat, this year we got 2 outta 6 alotted animals in our team during the actual hunting week, a calf and a bull, and 15 people are to share it, as we have 4 more allowed, most people would probably not turn up for the weekend hunts so there will be more to share, (we are 18 people in the team)

The shooter gets the heart/tongue and a choice cut of his/her choosing

My lease allows me to hunt solo for deer, hogs and other animals but we do have some shared/organized hunts for those aswell where we share the meat.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:36 AM   #46
BLUETIP

640 is one square mile 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile is 1/4 of a square mile=160 acres. His math is correct.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:47 AM   #47
Chaz88

Quote:
640 is one square mile 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile is 1/4 of a square mile=160 acres. His math is correct.
I apologize the 160 is correct. I was thinking half a section, that would be a 1/2 x 1 mile. But I stand by my statement that 160 free would be a heck of a deal.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #48
Chaz88

Quote:
But finding a deer rifle and load that 11 year old girls can manage well is ....tricky.
My skinny little 13 year old has done well with a small rifled 20 gauge and a .243 since she was about 11. She is good with an adjustable stock .223 also but it is not legal for deer in most places.

Old October 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #49
jimbob86

English is not mine, apparently-

1/2x1/2 is indeed "a quarter" ..... 160 acres.

I apoligize.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:25 PM   #50
Gunplummer

If you look at it as a hobby, and do your own cutting, I think you are way ahead. Take 2 pounds of 90% lean beef burger and cook it up. Drain the juice into a can and let sit overnight. Do the same with 2 pounds (Or 3 pounds) of deer burger with no added fat meat. Look in the two cans the next day. Where you gonna buy meat that lean at any price?